SELECT CONTENT

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Page 75 of 81 Previous  1 ... 39 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 81  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 75 Empty Re: What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Post by Newto Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:18 am

@Norcalgal - what an eerie experience. Hope the fires stop spreading, and that you, your family, and everyone in your area is safe. group hug

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Newto
Newto

Female Posts : 13874

Back to top Go down

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 75 Empty Re: What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm

@Norcalgal In such a short time, the smoke was in the air, 150 miles from origination. That is very scary. Is it getting better or worse?

The drop in temp must have been spooky. The poor animals. sad

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71280

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:30 pm

We are safe but having lived through the wine country fires last year, I know what those directly affected in Northern and Southern California will face. Losing your home is losing your center. And when so many homes are lost, as in the Butte fire, many people will have to move, especially those that rent, as there is NO alternative housing. As the population declines, people such as teachers and others whose jobs are population-based may lose their jobs. County budgets are stretched from having so many unexpected expenses and some services will be curtailed or even stopped. Roads will need repair. In the short term, there is no cell service and no electricity. If you live in the country, you may have a well but can't pump water without electricity. It will take weeks to get cell and power back. Extending a hand and inviting a family over for an afternoon of games, tv and dinner is a great distraction - but hard to do from afar. I had so much stuff to donate but people without a home don't need stuff! Now, I volunteer at the local food bank and tell people how important that is. We pack boxes for people in shelters, emergency workers, homeless, displaced, etc. Most popular items are granola bars, peanut butter and crackers and jelly and chocolate bars. People need quick food that doesn't require cooking.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5282

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:32 pm

@GuardianAngel Still quite smokey - yesterday better (some sunshine) but today worse. All depends on the direction of the wind.

Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:26 pm

@Norcalgal so sad reading your post. The domino effect breaks my heart. I didn't realize the lasting effects to that end. It's unimaginable to start all over, from living a comfortable life, to having absolutely nothing. Where do you being, you have to move, find someplace to live, find a job, all the while needing basic necessities.

Love your kindness in volunteering and educating people. Makes total sense, they can't take tons of clothing donations when they don't have shelter.

I read somewhere today that by Monday depending on the winds, the east coast will be able to smell the smoke.

First thing I did when I opened my eyes this morning, is thought about the firefighters, and all the displaced people. What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 75 3552228123

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Thank god for our vets and first responders.

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang19 Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:07 am

I posted this in the chit-chat thread cause I didn't see this one.

What's been happening in my state is just awful. The shootings and wildfires, and now the air quality is just unbearable.

My friend just moved into her house about a month ago in the small town of Magalia near Paradise, CA. She called to say there was a fire and she was evacuating. I told her she could come stay with me, I'm in the Bay Area. As we have watched on the news, both towns were decimated. Very few structures remain standing. We (mostly me because she couldn't bear to look) have been watching the CalFire website that lists the status house by house (with photos) of which ones were destroyed, which ones were damaged and which ones had no damage. Its seemed like her street and the surrounding streets were some of the last to be updated. Yesterday, the houses behind her were posted along with the photo (all of them destroyed). I then had the thought that if I could see the photo of the house behind her, where their backyards butted up against each other, I could see if her house was there or not. I had very little hope because there really aren't any houses left standing. I clicked on the picture and enlarged and started to see through the smoke and trees a little patio and love seat. Then I could see some windows and parts of a roof. I compared the picture on the CalFire website with some of the pictures of the house she sent me when she moved in. I showed her the CalFire picture this morning pointing out the house in the background and she started crying saying it has to be hers. Today she got confirmation that her house was still standing. She was so happy, and thanked me for showing her the picture. She called me a Super Sleuth! I told her that it was all my years in "Bachelor Sleuth Training" and this awesome board that led me to enlarging and comparing photos!
Mustang19
Mustang19

Female Posts : 1192

Back to top Go down

Post by sdmom Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:11 am

@Mustang19 I’d love to donate money to help fire victims but I don’t know which organization. Would you/ your friend know? I live in San Diego and know firsthand how terrible the wildfires are.

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree"~ Martin Luther
sdmom
sdmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang19 Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:25 am

sdmom wrote:@Mustang19 I’d love to donate money to help fire victims but I don’t know which organization. Would you/ your friend know? I live in San Diego and know firsthand how terrible the wildfires are.

I donated to the Red Cross and am going to make a donation to the Butte County Humane Society for the animals.
Mustang19
Mustang19

Female Posts : 1192

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:25 pm

Here's a link to the North Valley Community Foundation that is accepting donations for victims of the Butte fire. I've always found Community Foundations know best where the need is as they are 100% local.

https://www.nvcf.org

Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:55 pm

Excellent article on How to Help ... written by someone who has been there.

https://www.kqed.org/news/11628364/how-to-help-a-friend-who-lost-their-home-in-a-wildfire

Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:03 pm

@Mustang19 thanks for sharing your story. I'm no where near the area and I find it unbearable to watch sometimes, my heart breaks for them all.

@Norcalgal great article! So many issue's I would never have thought of.

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 75 of 81 Previous  1 ... 39 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 81  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

+84
vacayeveryday
mizzoufan
Katiebelle
gurlbrit
justcallmegranny