SELECT CONTENT

Books - Discussion

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Books - Discussion  - Page 18 Empty Re: Books - Discussion

Post by albean99 Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:31 am

Another book my book club read a year or two ago that I loved was "An Invisible Thread" by Laura Schroff.

Just curious if you buy books or get them from the library? My library has a great collection of ebooks so I can often get them on my Kindle for free. Love it.

"Love is the Only Reality" -Ed Lambton
albean99
albean99

Female Posts : 15259

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeyum Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:06 am

No Kindle for me. I still enjoy reading books, usually just order them online through the library and pick them up when they come in.

Just finished reading 2 very good books that I would recommend.

"The Woman in the Window" by A.J. Finn is similar to The Girl on a Train, and The Woman in Cabin 10, but a much better read IMO.

"Love and other Consolation Prizes", by Jamie Ford, is based on a true story of an orphan who was raffled off at the 1909 Seattle Worlds Fair. I loved this book.
coffeeyum
coffeeyum

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:10 pm

@coffeeyum thanks for the suggestions. I too still read books, paperback. I don't like hard cover.

My friends tell me I should get up to date with technology, laugh out loud but I still enjoy holding a book and using a bookmark.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71354

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:44 pm

This is next on my reading list - have had so many people tell me it's a great read. Anyone here read Prague Sonata?

https://www.amazon.com/Prague-Sonata-Bradford-Morrow-ebook/dp/B074N8YC3F

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5290

Back to top Go down

Post by George1218 Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Has anybody read "Gifts of the Spirit"?
George1218
George1218

Female Posts : 1051

Back to top Go down

Post by pavalygurl Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 am

GuardianAngel wrote:@Kashathediva thanks for the info. I never read any of her books before. I remember hearing about this book, so when I saw it I bought it.

I also bought Michael Connelly The Wrong Side of Goodbye.  But later I saw the Versace book so I started reading that one after the Train book.

I think I've read all of Michael Connelly's books. I went to one of his book signings years ago and got to talk to him a bit. He's nice, funny and self-deprecating. I just loved him as much as his books. I watched a bit of the Versace story on tv. Life got in the way and now I may have to re-watch the early ones to keep up.

pavalygurl

Back to top Go down

Post by pavalygurl Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:05 am

coffeeyum wrote:No Kindle for me.  I still enjoy reading books, usually just order them online through the library and pick them up when they come in.

Just finished reading 2 very good books that I would recommend.  

"The Woman in the Window" by A.J. Finn is similar to The Girl on a Train, and The Woman in Cabin 10, but a much better read IMO.

"Love and other Consolation Prizes", by Jamie Ford, is based on a true story of an orphan who was raffled off at the 1909 Seattle Worlds Fair.  I loved this book.

I absolutely loved this book...just gave it to my sister today. I'm hoping the author writes another soon.

pavalygurl

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sun May 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Go to the link for the full story. Sounds very sweet!

https://twitter.com/MirrorRoyal

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Reading the posts upthread, I think The Woman in the Window is going to be a movie.

ETA: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6111574/

I recently read Alert James Patterson, it was pretty good if you like crime.

I also read Grey Mountain John Grisham, not that great. I've read almost all of his books which I enjoy but this one had me struggling to keep my attention.

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:44 am

For those of you who are American, I can highly recommend the book, "We the Corporations" - a play on words from our constitution "we the people". This book is written by a constitutional law prof from UCLA and is VERY engaging and is about the 14th Amendment (refresher for those who get all the amendments mixed up - this is the one passed after the civil war giving everyone equal rights, except for women, of course).

The book goes into how corporations have co-opted this amendment for corporate rights as they are comprised of 'people'. Just as an example, in the 40 years after the amendment was passed, almost 350 cases appeared before the Supreme Court pertaining to the 14th amendment - 28 of them had to with race and the others were all corporation related! The first chapter begins with the first corporations in the US - Jamestown and continues through some of the most recent Supreme Court rulings - Citizens United (campaign donations made by corporations) and Hobby Lobby (private corporation denying birth control and abortions to its employees).

I am not a lawyer but admittedly like non-fiction books. I learned so much from this book and just as "Just Mercy" by Bryan Stephenson changed me, I believe this book has as well. The author does not present a biased view but gives a fairly balanced discussion of how and why corporations have evolved through the years and how they have used the 14th amendment to pursue their 'rights'. With so much discussion in our country about the concentration of wealth amid fewer and fewer people, it makes for a prescient read. I sped through it and then went back and tried to really learn the law.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5290

Back to top Go down

Post by pavalygurl Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:53 pm

I been reading a lot with the quarantine going on. One I am currently reading is "Big Summer" by Jennifer Weiner. For all the Bachelor fans, it has a whole story line about a guy who was the lead on "All the Single Ladies", a bachelor take off. It's also a murder mystery and a page turner. Enjoy.

pavalygurl

Back to top Go down

Post by albean99 Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:42 pm

If you like non-fiction, and elephants, I just read the Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony. It was really interesting and you end up appreciating how smart elephants are. I had previously read Jodi Picoult's book, Leaving Time, which is fictional but you learn a lot about elephants in it. I really liked it also.

These days I'm reading a bunch of books for my book clubs (Zoom ones now) but am also fitting in my favorite cozy mysteries. Right now I'm on a kick of ones set in the 1920's.

I also enjoyed Inheritance by Dani Shapiro and The Gown by Jennifer Robson.

"Love is the Only Reality" -Ed Lambton
albean99
albean99

Female Posts : 15259

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Books - Discussion