SELECT CONTENT

Books - Discussion

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Books - Discussion  - Page 6 Empty Re: Books - Discussion

Post by noobsleuth Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:26 pm

veg_out wrote:
noobsleuth wrote:Did anyone read Girl with the Dragon Tatoo? The movie looks amazing but I am a read the book first type of person. I am thinking about buying it in the next few days.

Noobs, yes, I read the first book and half of the second book of the trilogy. Whereas normally I read cover to cover, I had to put down the second book, disturbed by some of the graphic and plain sad content. The pages turn themselves in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo if you can get beyond some of the twisted elements.

Thanks! It always had rave reviews and then when I saw the previews for the movie I was convinced I wanted to read it. I think I am going to give it a try. I'll report back when I get into the thick of it.
noobsleuth
noobsleuth

Female Posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post by veg_out Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:06 pm

I know that I'm late to the party, but has anyone read and recommend The Hunger Games series? Since it's about to become a movie franchise, I wanted to read them to catch the inevitable, forthcoming pop-culture references.

Yay or nay?
veg_out
veg_out

Back to top Go down

Post by jello1592 Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:04 pm

veg_out wrote:I know that I'm late to the party, but has anyone read and recommend The Hunger Games series? Since it's about to become a movie franchise, I wanted to read them to catch the inevitable, forthcoming pop-culture references.

Yay or nay?

I am about halfway through the second book, and I say YAY! I had heard about The Hunger Games before and it seemed like to sci-fi for me. So when my friends recommended I read it, I kinda shut that idea down. But one day I was at the book store and bought it. Little did I know that I would soon be obssessed with it! You will not be able to put it down!

Romans 8: 37-39
PINKHEART
jello1592
jello1592

Female Posts : 3284

Back to top Go down

Post by Love_Me Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:29 am

Maybe this has been discussed, but has anyone read The Hunger Games? Can you tell me what it is about? I might see the movie if the books turn out to be good.
Love_Me
Love_Me

Female Posts : 32393

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:58 am

Does anyone know the name of the book written by a woman whose daughter was hit and killed by her brother's vehicle? I can't remember the name of it. Thanks!
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 18480

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomigirl Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:08 am

Love_Me wrote:Maybe this has been discussed, but has anyone read The Hunger Games? Can you tell me what it is about? I might see the movie if the books turn out to be good.

Hunger Games is set in a post-apocalyptic world where the government holds a yearly lottery to choose participants (typically children) in a battle to the death in an arena...I'm trying to be vague as to not give anything away... giggling . But they main protagonist is a young girl who takes the place of her younger sister who is chosen and story is about her 'adventure'. It's classified as Young Adult Fiction, but the series (Catching Fire and Mockingjay) is great! I ate the books up in less than a week.
Thomigirl
Thomigirl

Back to top Go down

Post by veg_out Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks for the recs about The Hunger Games. Gotta get my read on.
veg_out
veg_out

Back to top Go down

Post by Love_Me Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:49 am

Thomigirl wrote:
Love_Me wrote:Maybe this has been discussed, but has anyone read The Hunger Games? Can you tell me what it is about? I might see the movie if the books turn out to be good.

Hunger Games is set in a post-apocalyptic world where the government holds a yearly lottery to choose participants (typically children) in a battle to the death in an arena...I'm trying to be vague as to not give anything away... giggling . But they main protagonist is a young girl who takes the place of her younger sister who is chosen and story is about her 'adventure'. It's classified as Young Adult Fiction, but the series (Catching Fire and Mockingjay) is great! I ate the books up in less than a week.

Thank you! I wanted to read the books before watching the movie! :Biggrin:
Love_Me
Love_Me

Female Posts : 32393

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:35 pm

I love this site & prefer reading over watching TV!! I have renewed my love for reading & re-discovered the library - I would have gone broke if I tried to buy all the books I have read in the last 2 years. In fact I read so much, I made a spreadsheet listing all authors I have read alphabetically & each of their books I have read including date published, list of main characters, date read & rate the book either as "okay", "good" or "very good". I read all pages of this thread & have tried and enjoyed many of the suggested authors.

One of my all time favorites is Judith McNaught!!

I enjoy historical fiction with a love story & funny love stories (love Rachel Gibson). Currently hooked on the Regency period in England & medieval times. Read a lot of Seal/special forces (liked Suzanne Brockman's books). Like to mix it up with a western romance book, a thriller as long as not gory etc. Would appreciate hearing about everyone's favorites.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:46 pm

I am like the one person in the world who cant stand McNaught and her bipolar bks. Thought it was ok as a teenager when I was hormonal but find it unreadable now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Two new authors in the western historical I like are Kaki Warner and Ellen O'Connell. You want to read a great book Start with Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold, Sing my name and Dancing on Coals. A new Romantic Suspense author I found on my Kindle is Jo Robertson. Her book The Watcher is the first in a series and is seriously so good. She started writing historicals too, Frail Blood and Weak Flesh are quite good. Another new author Leslie Tentler has a good series starting with Midnight Caller. For a fun contemporary read try Jodi Thomas new Harmony series there are four books out in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Cher1948 wrote:I love this site & prefer reading over watching TV!! I have renewed my love for reading & re-discovered the library - I would have gone broke if I tried to buy all the books I have read in the last 2 years. In fact I read so much, I made a spreadsheet listing all authors I have read alphabetically & each of their books I have read including date published, list of main characters, date read & rate the book either as "okay", "good" or "very good". I read all pages of this thread & have tried and enjoyed many of the suggested authors.

One of my all time favorites is Judith McNaught!!

I enjoy historical fiction with a love story & funny love stories (love Rachel Gibson). Currently hooked on the Regency period in England & medieval times. Read a lot of Seal/special forces (liked Suzanne Brockman's books). Like to mix it up with a western romance book, a thriller as long as not gory etc. Would appreciate hearing about everyone's favorites.
I love talking books and probably have several hundred on my keeper shelf. I posted a few names for you but just reread your post and then wondered if the two romantic suspense I said might be in the too gory catagory. Anyway, if I ever figure out the PM thing you can PM me to talk over books if you like.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Books - Discussion

+47
Junequilts
Kels0012
sublime