SELECT CONTENT

Will Gaskins - Bachelorette 13 - Discussion

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Historic - Will Gaskins - Bachelorette 13 - Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Will Gaskins - Bachelorette 13 - Discussion

Post by hae1001 Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:59 pm

@pvpr if we can't expect tv to have a positive message and actually achieve something of substance, then fine, but IMO i have the right to voice my disappointment over the fact that the same said show has been patting itself on the back for their "historic" choice of their first WOC bachelorette. If you can't be in the forefront for change and progression, then don't try to collect the accolades imo. As a WOC myself, it feels like a slap in the face.
hae1001
hae1001

Female Posts : 1183

Back to top Go down

Historic - Will Gaskins - Bachelorette 13 - Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Will Gaskins - Bachelorette 13 - Discussion

Post by coolangel Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:03 pm

hae1001 wrote:I'm saying Rachel and tptb could have selected more moc to be in the f6. Did they have to all be? No. Does she have to get engaged to a moc? No. She is allowed to love who she loves, regardless of race.  IMO, f6 through f3 are just placement people. Filling a quota. It's disappointing that Rachel and tptb would not use more of those spots for guys that could actually show a good message for acceptance and break down stereotypes of POC, especially since IMO, Nick did that for Rachel. In 21 seasons of the bachelor, Rachel was the only black woman to get a hometown. Yet, there are multiple seasons where the Corinnes, the Jades, the token single moms, etc got a hometown simply because of their stories, not because of the leads attraction to them imo. In 13 seasons of the bachelorette, if she gives Eric a hometown, he will be the only black man to ever get a hometown. I'm just disappointed, given how much tptb have patted themselves on the back over this "diverse" season.

@hae1001, I kinda get what you are saying esp. the bolded and I agree. Not everyone in the F6 are people who the lead is interested in IMO. Some of them are just people who TPTB want to highlight for their stories or the potential next lead picks IMO. You gave some excellent examples with Corinne and Jade IMO. I can see why only one MOC in F6 seems like taking a step backward after all the #historic promotion that they did esp. since they had a viable candidate in Will IMO for atleast F6. Unless Rachel is equally interested in all her F6 candidates (which I don't think is a possibility at this point IMO), I think they could have been more inclusive like you said.

All JMO.
coolangel
coolangel

Back to top Go down

Post by cheetarah1980 Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:05 pm

It all comes down to the casting. She can't fall in love with who isn't there.

cheetarah1980

Back to top Go down

Post by hae1001 Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:09 pm

@coolangel thank you for understanding. It's not about filling a quota, more so than it is about being disappointed that some contestants are not afforded the same opportunities and respect from this show, especially after there has been so much said about diversity. It's 2017 and I just had expectations. I will refrain from discussing this anymore because I know that topics of race are a touchy subject and as kasha said, this forum might not be the appropriate place.
hae1001
hae1001

Female Posts : 1183

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:09 pm

hae1001 wrote:@pvpr if we can't expect tv to have a positive message and actually achieve something of substance, then fine, but IMO i have the right to voice my disappointment over the fact that the same said show has been patting itself on the back for their "historic" choice of their first WOC bachelorette. If you can't be in the forefront for change and progression, then don't try to collect the accolades imo. As a WOC myself, it feels like a slap in the face.

You have every right to hope for that--"a positive message". It might however, be a bit unrealistic(IMO) for the creator of Chainsaw Massacre to take that stance.
Many followers of the show mentioned that this "historic" choice of wording was nothing but words. Those pats on the back, IMO, were pure b.s. They are here to make ratings for the show and not for racial progression/pride etc. They gave the tools to Rachel. What she chooses to do with those tools are up to her. PS: Choose of the word tools is a) a pun and b) probably true. IMO

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by TLTF Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:15 pm

I just want to add that may be Will and the others are not there for a reason. We'll have to wait and see. And if there are reasons, well that's not on her but on the casting people that did not choose the right persons for her personnality...

I don't know if its understandable or if it make sense :/

#TeamPeter Historic - Will Gaskins - Bachelorette 13 - Discussion - Page 8 1f495
#TeamRachel Historic - Will Gaskins - Bachelorette 13 - Discussion - Page 8 1f495
TLTF
TLTF

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:17 pm

@hae1001,   just letting you know that as another WOC, I see where you are coming from.

I am not that invested one way or the other, all I care about in this regard (the show) is that Rachel find a man that is head over heels in love with her, and she feels the same, regardless of race.  

BUT, I know what you mean, in the case you felt like no one was trying to see your point of view.

Last edited by adf23 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by TLTF Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:18 pm

adf23 wrote:@hae1001,   just letting you know that as another WOC, I see where you are coming from.

I am not that invested one way or the other, all I care about in this regard (the show) is that Rachel find a man that is head over heels in love with her, and she feels the same, regardless of race.  

BUT, I know what you mean, in the case you felt like no one was trying to see your point of view.

Same (bolded) Smiley

#TeamPeter Historic - Will Gaskins - Bachelorette 13 - Discussion - Page 8 1f495
#TeamRachel Historic - Will Gaskins - Bachelorette 13 - Discussion - Page 8 1f495
TLTF
TLTF

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:27 pm

All I want for Rachel is that she finds love.  
As a WOC was I looking for her to have a MOC in the final 4? NO.
Do I want her to choose a MOC to please the audience? NO
Do I want her to do what is best for her? YES.  
Did she need to Visit a MOC home to satisfy the audience? NO.  
Is it her experience? YES.  
Did she think the MOC that was sent home needed to stay? Unknown.
Could Eric that is presumable still there be in the F4? Yes.  
Could He be the next Bachelor? Yes but we wont know unless they announce it early.  
Am I going to trust that Rachel did what was best for herself? YES.
This show is for entertainment, and if luck have it that the leads finds love god's riches blessing to them.
This is just my POV as a WOC.

Back to top Go down

Post by cheetarah1980 Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Another WOC here and I 100% get where @hae1001 is coming from. However, as more contestants have been sleuthed I quickly saw that having a Black lead did not equate to having an overwhelmingly predominate Black cast the way having a White lead has in the past. Even with the increased diversity numbers in seasons like Nick's and Sean's and Kaitlyn's the majority of contestants were White. This appears to be the same with Rachel's season. This could be a matter of the # of Black applicants producers had to choose from. Yo no se. There was a great article on NPR about this topic when Rachel was first announced. It talked about unspoken rules of compatibility and one of those year after year is demonstrated by the fact that the contestants are overwhelmingly white because the leads are. The article questioned if Rachel would get an overwhelmingly Black cast and from what's been sleuthed the answer is no. Ultimately given that out of 30 men maybe 8 or 9 were Black, I'm not surprised that she only has 1 Black man in her F6.

cheetarah1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:05 pm

@cheetarah1980 We have seen so far only those that have been sleuthed.  There are reports that she had 31 gentlemen.  We wont know if it was only 9 that was there until the show aired. IMHO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:20 pm

In the end, she may not even choose any of these guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Will Gaskins - Bachelorette 13 - Discussion

+40
albean99
JMFan
bleuberry
mysthelma
cookielover12