SELECT CONTENT

Bachelorette New Zealand - Season 1 - Dr Lesina Nakhid-Schuster - Lily McManus - Media SM - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers *

Page 17 of 59 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 38 ... 59  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bachelorette New Zealand - Season 1 - Dr Lesina Nakhid-Schuster - Lily McManus - Media SM - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers * - Page 17 Empty Re: Bachelorette New Zealand - Season 1 - Dr Lesina Nakhid-Schuster - Lily McManus - Media SM - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers *

Post by Genevieve Australia Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:13 am

Bobette wrote:

snipped

There's nothing notable on her CV - some short films and a few local ads.  Interestingly she speaks Spanish, which might have been useful in Argentina (although Argentinian Spanish is slightly different I think?).

I have lived in Madrid (Spain) and Buenos Aires (Argentina) and the Spanish spoken in those countries is basically the same as it is in the rest of the Americas. Argentinians may change their grammar a bit in an informal way, mostly because Argentinians, like Uruguayans, utilise  the 'vos' for the second person of the singular far more often than the 'tu' used in Spain and other Latin American countries also for the second person of the singular; hence, the tenses change accordingly. Using the 'vos'  is called 'voceo'; and even within Spanish speaking countries the 'voceo may be used different regions . In Argentina, as in Uruguay, what changes is the accent due to the great Italian migration in Argentina, Basque migration, and French migration (reflected in the architecture of the capital, Buenos Aires); this is because the great majority of people in Buenos Aires are Caucasian whose families have been in South America for 2, 3 or 4 generations, that is also why Argentinians often hold dual passports. Basically, in all Spanish speaking countries,  the differences in spoken Spanish are minor and regional; the grammar/syntax rules and spelling remains the same in all Spanish speaking countries in Europe and Latin America and it is regulated by the RAE (Real Academia Espanola). Having said that, within Spain there are different official languages known as Lenguas de Espana (Languages of Spain), they are all languages, not dialects, those are Catalan, Euskara, Galician,not dialects, but that is a different story.

Last edited by Genevieve Australia on Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

'You are always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company.' - Diane Von Furstenberg Bachelorette New Zealand - Season 1 - Dr Lesina Nakhid-Schuster - Lily McManus - Media SM - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers * - Page 17 1176891977
Genevieve Australia
Genevieve Australia

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Bachelorette New Zealand - Season 1 - Dr Lesina Nakhid-Schuster - Lily McManus - Media SM - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers * - Page 17 Empty Re: Bachelorette New Zealand - Season 1 - Dr Lesina Nakhid-Schuster - Lily McManus - Media SM - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers *

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:23 pm

@Genevieve Australia thanks for the info.

Admitting, I had to google locum. So even though she took time off, she has been working in her field but in different locations?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71428

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobette Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:23 pm

@GuardianAngel Yes my understanding is that a locum doctor is like a relief or substitute teacher - filling in for other doctors for a limited period of time.

DM have run an article about Lesina and described her as a surgeon/"aspiring actress".  Lots of people questioning her motives in the comments.  Eeek.

Bachelorette New Zealand - Season 1 - Dr Lesina Nakhid-Schuster - Lily McManus - Media SM - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers * - Page 17 HOcBqjh

Source
Bobette
Bobette

Back to top Go down

Post by blueblues Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:13 pm

Well Daily Fail is and will always be garbage, and the comment field is usually even worse than the articles.
That “Stuff” article said “occasional actor”, and that seems more accurate.
JMO

blueblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobette Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:18 pm

@blueblues Yeah I agree calling her an "aspiring" actress is very different to "occasional".  Poor wording my DM IMO.  I see no indication Lesina plans to stop practicing medicine to chase a full-time acting career. Her acting CV is very thin. Seems more like a hobby to me.
Bobette
Bobette

Back to top Go down

Post by leavers Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:38 pm

The only way acting would be a better career move than surgeon would be if she suddenly became the next Margot Robbie and sorry, don't see it. JMO. The time and money invested in becoming a surgeon means I'm preetty sure she'd be dedicated to staying one. And there'd be nothing stopping her doing surgery with some influencing/media type stuff on the side. I follow a doctor on social media who does exactly that.

~Say it one more time~
leavers
leavers

Female Posts : 1339

Back to top Go down

Post by Idlemess Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:57 pm

Maybe a tv medical consultation gig is the ticket...

The truth is rarely pure and never simple ~ Oscar Wilde Praying:uptonogood
Idlemess
Idlemess

Female Posts : 3447

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:08 pm

Idlemess wrote:Maybe a tv medical consultation gig is the ticket...

Yup...another Dr. Travis Stork...and it probably pays her medical school debt.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobette Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:38 pm

Sprite wrote:
Idlemess wrote:Maybe a tv medical consultation gig is the ticket...

Yup...another Dr. Travis Stork...and it probably pays her medical school debt.

AU and NZ don't have student loans like the US - in AU we have HECS whereby you don't have to pay anything for your Uni education until you get a job that pays above a certain threshold, at which point you pay a small amount of extra tax.  

In NZ I believe first year is free and they are looking to make Uni completely free within the next four years [ETA:  Govt website, Student Support].  So it's not like the US where I've heard doctors sometimes start their career $200+K in debt. ( affraid )
Bobette
Bobette

Back to top Go down

Post by leavers Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Cost of a medical degree varies greatly depending on whether you do one of the few undergraduate medical courses left (5 or 6 years depending on uni), or whether you do postgraduate - unis are increasingly moving law, medicine etc to postgrad only - makes them more money - (cost of your undergrad + cost of 4 years postgrad med). The CSP cost per year is about 11k; so your total debt depends on if you've done an undergrad degree already or not. You can pay full fees in a postgraduate degree if you desperately want to become a doctor and haven't gotten a Commonwealth Supported Place (HECS) and pay 250k, if you desire.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/macquarie-university-launches-250000-medical-degree/news-story/747621cd10a82525bf904012a658c4ab

In NZ I found this:

The average medical tuition in New Zealand, for New Zealand or Australian citizens, or residents of New Zealand, is about $15,249 NZD a year.

https://www.crimsoneducation.org/au/blog/how-to-get-into-medicine

~Say it one more time~
leavers
leavers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobette Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:37 pm

@leavers Those tuition fees aren't payable until you start working though (like our HECS).  Also I'm assuming they have some equivalent to Youth Allowance (which for overseas members is a living allowance from the govt - not repayable).

If you’re a New Zealand or Australia citizen, or a resident of New Zealand, you are eligible for student loans. There are government student loans that cover your tuition fees and living costs. However, you’ll need to pay these loans back once start making more than $19,136 NZD (pre-tax). You may also be eligible for a weekly allowance that you don’t need to pay back.

Someone please CMIIW but I don't think US students are eligible for similar welfare payments while at med school?  I honestly don't know how people in the US could afford the go into medicine unless they come from a wealthy family!
Bobette
Bobette

Back to top Go down

Post by leavers Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:02 pm

Yep, you have to be earning a certain amount but it's only about ~40kish since the current government lowered the threshold from over 50. Even doctors straight out of uni are earning more than 40k, so you're paying it back immediately.

In America you have to be from a wealthy family or be smart enough to get scholarships. And I know Americans who have gotten part-scholarships becauase of their results for law school and they still had big loans to repay and they were very intelligent, driven people. So you can't really count on the scholarship for a full ride unless you're incredibly brilliant.

~Say it one more time~
leavers
leavers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 59 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 38 ... 59  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Bachelorette New Zealand - Season 1 - Dr Lesina Nakhid-Schuster - Lily McManus - Media SM - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers *

+27
greentoolcat
Kels0012
jen689
just me
Karina
sdmom
quick_dry
Andie H
Katiebelle
atem
notarose