SELECT CONTENT

Books - Discussion

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Books - Discussion  - Page 12 Empty Re: Books - Discussion

Post by GuardianAngel Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:28 pm

From Emily's thread.

MsnPres wrote:Just wanted to add that I downloaded the sneak peek of Emily's book, I think it was about 100 pages. My favorite reading genre is memoirs, but always consider the Bachelor related ones a bit fluffy.  However, Emily bravely shared her pre-Bachelor story and I felt like she revealed just enough.  It was quite impactful to think of her as a young woman facing parenthood alone and all the dynamics and family relationship challenges when Ricky passed away.  I've pre-ordered the book and am anxious to continue. I was kind of opinionless toward her during her season(s), but the book was quite enjoyable.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71466

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by albean99 Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:10 am

I'm reading a book for my non-fiction book club that I'm already loving. It's pretty short but is very interesting. I was able to get it on Kindle through my library.

An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year-Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive, and an Unlikely Meeting with Destiny by Laura Schroff and Alex Tresnioski

Just read The Wonder Garden for another book group and can't say I enjoyed it. It's a bit grim. It's a collection of short stories connected by location. Anyone else read it? We're talking about it on Monday so am interested to see what everyone else thought of it.

"Love is the Only Reality" -Ed Lambton
albean99
albean99

Female Posts : 15320

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:16 am

I recently read "Social Media Holocaust". It's a horror take on social media.
The writing stunk and I skimmed through quite a bit of it.
The only reason I read through instead of giving up, is some of the concepts were not so far of a reach. It was a train wreck that certainly could have certain issues become reality.

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:14 am

Any garden lovers or people who are enamored with tulips?  Just finished reading Tulipomania which is about the year the normally staid Dutch went crazy for tulips.  One single flower would command a price higher than an average house!  Lots of history about the Asian origin of the tulip.  Good read - you'll come away knowing a lot more than before you opened the cover!
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5312

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:16 pm

jen689 wrote:How Former Bachelorette Emily Maynard Johnson Finally Found Love After Tragedy, Depression and an Overdose

As the soft-spoken beautiful Southern blonde who won the hearts of fans during her seasons of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, it seemed like Emily Maynard had it all. But for the former reality star, who dealt with depression, the death of her boyfriend and life as a single mother, the journey to find happiness has been far from perfect.

"Things haven't been super easy for me," Maynard, author of the new book, I Said Yes, tells PEOPLE exclusively in this week's issue. "As great as things are now, it's been a struggle for me. My life definitely isn't perfect. Is anybody's?"

After a "happy childhood," growing up in West Virginia, Maynard went to boarding school in Florida as a teenager. "That was really hard for me," she says. "I didn't feel like I fit in." Feelings of worthlessness and unhappiness deepened, and ultimately Maynard was hospitalized twice within a period of six months – once after she threatened suicide and once after she overdosed on prescription pain pills.

"It really was a cry for help," says Maynard, 30. "I never really wanted to end things. I just wanted attention. It makes me sad to think about. I was so focused on the part of my heart that was empty that I couldn't see beyond where I was."

Things started to look up for Maynard when she began seriously dating former NASCAR driver Ricky Hendrick, whom she had met when she was 16 and he was 21. After Maynard's graduation, the pair moved in together in Charlotte, North Carolina. Tragically, within months, Hendrick was killed in a plane crash and Maynard learned just days later that she was pregnant with their daughter.

"The first couple of years were so hard," says Maynard of life as a single mom to Ricki, now 10. "I didn't know if I was coming or going. I was lost. I went to therapists but I knew nothing they would tell me was going to make me feel better. Mine was an issue of the heart that I needed to work out myself. And I knew that time would do that."

When The Bachelor came along, Maynard jumped at the chance to try something new. She fell for Brad Womack and the pair got engaged in 2011, but split within months. Maynard gave love another the following year on The Bachelorette; on the season finale she was engaged to Jef Holm. They also ended things within months.

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20981907_20989439,00.html

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beach Lover Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:15 pm

Is this the best place to discuss Emily Maynards's book? I'm reading it now and have mixed feelings about it. I feel she kind of contradicts herself at times and skirts around a lot of details. What are other people's thoughts?
Beach Lover
Beach Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:22 pm

Yes this is the best place to discuss books. I'm curious to hear your thoughts BL.

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:58 pm

Love to hear more about Emily's book - she's gotten a lot of press. Who knew she felt so unloved during high school? Her backstory reminds me of Jade opening up with being r*ped in high school. That explained so much to me about Jade. This part of Emily's life opens the door into her 'being' more than probably anything I've read about her.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5312

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:04 pm

I'm sorry for the OT, I'm shocked to know jade has such a terrible past!!!! I never knew that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beach Lover Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:09 pm

GA, I have just a few chapters left to read in Emily's book and then I will give you my thoughts. So far, I think it's just mediocre at best.
Beach Lover
Beach Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:42 pm

I would be interested in your take Beach Lover as I hold your opinions to be generally very unbiased. yes

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:45 pm

I'm curious about Em's book too, what she had to say about Brad if anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Books - Discussion

+47
Junequilts
Kels0012
sublime