SELECT CONTENT

Books - Discussion

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

iSaidyes - Books - Discussion  - Page 3 Empty Re: Books - Discussion

Post by chaslom4 Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:28 pm

sweptaway wrote:Her early series is good. She has recently reissued them with two or three books in one. She has an older book called Body Gaurd that was pretty good and also Heart Throb.

I got all of the series before she started coming out with the combined stories in one book. They were hard to find! Don't even ask me how much I paid for Lucky's story on ebay! affraid :giggle:
chaslom4
chaslom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:30 pm

chaslom4 wrote:
sweptaway wrote:Her early series is good. She has recently reissued them with two or three books in one. She has an older book called Body Gaurd that was pretty good and also Heart Throb.

I got all of the series before she started coming out with the combined stories in one book. They were hard to find! Don't even ask me how much I paid for Lucky's story on ebay! affraid :giggle:
I have only read about five of them. It seems there was one with a guy in a wheelchair or something I always wanted to read. Was that Lucky?

Back to top Go down

Post by chaslom4 Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:44 pm

sweptaway wrote:
chaslom4 wrote:

I have only read about five of them. It seems there was one with a guy in a wheelchair or something I always wanted to read. Was that Lucky?

You might be thinking of Friscos Kid. Frisco is injured during an op and is told he can no longer be an active duty SEAL. The story is basically his journey of having to come to terms with that. It's really good. Lucky's book is called Get Lucky. It is by far my favorite! He is kinda of like another Wild Card! giggling
chaslom4
chaslom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Reality Mary Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:45 pm

San wrote:I am going to read, Heaven Is For Real when I go on my next vacation in about a month. I've heard that it's really good.

I have to tell you a story about this book. I was at my local Costco looking over books and I noticed a young 40 something gal standing and reading the book. I just said to her, it must be good if you are going to read it right here. She looked up tears in her eyes and said she didn't have a membership but was just at Costco with a girlfriend. I said you can buy it if you just have your girlfriend do it and then you pay her.

She told me with such a sweet smile that both her husband and her were out of work and didn't have enough money for the book. The library list was too long for her to wait.

So...I marched her up to the checkout, bought her the book. She wanted my address because she would send me the money when she found work but I said just do something to brighten someone's day when you get a chance.

Funny thing is, I didn't buy the book and now I have to go back this weekend and get it.
Reality Mary
Reality Mary

Female Posts : 279

Back to top Go down

Post by deedreamer Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Reality Mary wrote:
San wrote:I am going to read, Heaven Is For Real when I go on my next vacation in about a month. I've heard that it's really good.

I have to tell you a story about this book. I was at my local Costco looking over books and I noticed a young 40 something gal standing and reading the book. I just said to her, it must be good if you are going to read it right here. She looked up tears in her eyes and said she didn't have a membership but was just at Costco with a girlfriend. I said you can buy it if you just have your girlfriend do it and then you pay her.

She told me with such a sweet smile that both her husband and her were out of work and didn't have enough money for the book. The library list was too long for her to wait.

So...I marched her up to the checkout, bought her the book. She wanted my address because she would send me the money when she found work but I said just do something to brighten someone's day when you get a chance.

Funny thing is, I didn't buy the book and now I have to go back this weekend and get it.

Mary, what a lovely story. A great example of paying it forward...I am sure one day you kindness will come back to you in a way you least suspect. Smiley

iSaidyes - Books - Discussion  - Page 3 TeamJemSigTag

Be aware of half truths - you may have the wrong half
If you can't impress them with intelligence you can always baffle them with bullsh*t
Will Rogers said that he never met a man he didn't like...but then he never met Mike Fleiss
deedreamer
deedreamer

Female Posts : 939

http://thetoyboxgrannies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chacharo Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Reality Mary wrote:

That is one of the sweetest things I've ever heard anyone doing for a stranger. :hihi:

I've been wanting to read that book too.
Chacharo
Chacharo

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadaGoose Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Reality Mary wrote:

1) A book section? Yet another another reason to love this forum. If I'm not on the computer, I'm reading. I spent my childhood on a farm, and having access to a library is something that hasn't lost its appeal, even after 30+ years in the city. I'd be broke if I had to pay for every book I've borrowed over the years. You've all just added to my list of authors to check out. I'll never catch up. (I need a smilie.)

2) I'm #43 on the waiting list for Heaven is for Real at our library. Lovely, lovely Costco story, Mary. I'm sure she'll think of your generosity and caring often. Note to self: Make somebody's tomorrow better just because our paths crossed today.

3) I'm #155 for The Help, which I really wanted to read before seeing the movie when my DIL gets back from vacation. Don't think I'll complain about seeing the movie first, though I may go for again after I've read the book.

Back to work, so I can take time off tonight to read!

CanadaGoose

Female Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelad9 Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:10 pm

chaslom4 wrote:
wachin4fun wrote:
chaslom4 wrote:
sweptaway wrote:
chaslom4 wrote:
sweptaway wrote:I have been wanting a book thread. I tried reading the book thread at fort but any talk about romance books was not wanted only deep thinking books. I guess I will start today I am finishing up on a book by Cindy Gerard called With No Remorse. It is the sixth book in a series about black ops guys. Next on my list is Justice by Karen Robards.

Have you read any of Suzanne Brockmann's books? She has a couple different series about a team of Navy seals. They are really good!
I have read all her books. Juls and Robin were some of my favorite characters. She wrote their love story so gritty. In her last books she has really been pounding the gay marriage and gay rights thing because of her son. She has lost several readers because of it. To bad. She wrote a stand alone book last year called Infamous. It was practically unreadable with her pounding her views.

I agree, she did really turn away a lot of her readers. I loved Juls and Robyn to. One of my favorites of her books. My favorite characters though would have to be Sam and Alyssa and Max and Gina. Although I do kind of have a soft spot for Izzy. I haven't read his story yet, it's still on my book list to read.

I can't remember names. I could never be a politician. LOL. But, I liked the Brockmann one that happened, I think, in Indonesia where they were fleeing through the jungle the very best. I haven't read it in a long time (as you can tell). But, I remember I it as funny.

I also have read and enjoyed Julie Garwood books - especially her old historical stuff - some really cute ones that make me laugh/smile. Maybe you will like Kieran Kramer and Susan MacLean if you like the others I have mentioned, especially Julia Quinn (but she has not been as good lately either, IMO). Sometimes, I wonder if they only have so many good ones in them, but then SEP I still love. I am always looking for new authors, too. So keep listing authors you like, please!! yes

My favorite Julie Garwood are The Wedding, The Bride, and The Gift, which had me laughing through the whole book. I am so glad San started this thread. I find myself constantly going back and reading my old favorites, for the same reason you have said. The newer books of my favorite authors don't seem to be nearly as good as the older ones.

I have been looking for some new authors to try, so I am anxious to check out some of the ones you have suggested! Keep your list coming to! yes

if you haven't read susan Mallery yet, you might want to try her. She's usually pretty fun to read. Smiley Plus doesn't hurt she's also a reality tv junkie and bach/ette fan like us. yes
I also love reading Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Rachel Gibson, Gena Showalter, Kerrylnn Sparks, Christina Dodd, Teresa Medeiros, Eloisa James, Johanna Lindsey, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Linda Winstead Jones, Vicki Lewis Thompson, Bertrice Small, Virginia Henley, Julia Quinn, Sandra hill, Lynsay Sands... I have way way too many to name. Obviously I read quite a bit! :giggle:

a new author I've enjoyed is keiran kramer. Smiley

Kelad9

Female Posts : 1107

http://kelad9.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:09 pm

if you haven't read susan Mallery yet, you might want to try her. She's usually pretty fun to read. Smiley Plus doesn't hurt she's also a reality tv junkie and bach/ette fan like us. yes
I also love reading Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Rachel Gibson, Gena Showalter, Kerrylnn Sparks, Christina Dodd, Teresa Medeiros, Eloisa James, Johanna Lindsey, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Linda Winstead Jones, Vicki Lewis Thompson, Bertrice Small, Virginia Henley, Julia Quinn, Sandra hill, Lynsay Sands... I have way way too many to name. Obviously I read quite a bit! :giggle:

a new author I've enjoyed is keiran kramer. Smiley[/quote]

I also liked Kieran Kramer, but I think I listed her first name wrong above. And Susan MacLean also is a new find for me. I like both their first books (as I mentioned earlier). Thanks for your list above! I think I should try and make some list somehow to keep track of all these suggestions! I have read Susan Mallory as well and some of those you listed. Also, like Connie Brockway, but read too many of hers in a row and got sick of them. :Frown: I have a bad habit of that. I also have read Deirdre Martin (that I think Sweptaway mentioned) and liked her ok. I like Kristan Higgins quite a bit also. I have the same problem of reading too much and these are like candy- you can go through so many so fast. Yikes!

Would it help to get a continuing list of favorite authors and list by type of book? I wouldn't mind creating from the messages here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Reality Mary wrote:

Your story made me cry! :tissuebox That is one of the sweetest things I've ever heard! You are such a sweetheart for doing that for her Mary. Bless your heart! :hrtbeat:

Today has been a really good day for me....So many stories, posts, etc. have touched my heart greatly. :giveheart:

:thismuch:

I will always think of what you did when I read the book.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 18480

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by in2deep Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Has anyone read Weird Sisters? I'm taking it with me on vacay next week. Then I'll pass it on to my weird sister (had a purple flocked xmas tree one year). I need to do something now that my favorite season is ending and there's a NO TV rule during vaca.

i2d

"Reality TV is to reality what love handles are to love." - J. McGinness
Ride on! 8)
in2deep
in2deep

Female Posts : 218

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:38 pm

Finally got around to reading "Eat - Pray - Love", and have just begun "Committed", the "followup" book on marriage. Will be interested to hear if anyone has read it and has any thoughts to share.
I confess, as a member of TeamBen, I laughed this morning when I saw the quote that introduced Chapter One...."Marriage is a friendship recognized by the police (R.L.Stevenson)" lol
One of these days I'll have to transcribe some of the other quotes....

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Books - Discussion

+47
Junequilts
Kels0012
sublime