SELECT CONTENT

Books - Discussion

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ISaidYes - Books - Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: Books - Discussion

Post by pavalygurl Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:04 pm

CanadaGoose wrote:
Reality Mary wrote:
San wrote:I am going to read, Heaven Is For Real when I go on my next vacation in about a month. I've heard that it's really good.

I have to tell you a story about this book. I was at my local Costco looking over books and I noticed a young 40 something gal standing and reading the book. I just said to her, it must be good if you are going to read it right here. She looked up tears in her eyes and said she didn't have a membership but was just at Costco with a girlfriend. I said you can buy it if you just have your girlfriend do it and then you pay her.

She told me with such a sweet smile that both her husband and her were out of work and didn't have enough money for the book. The library list was too long for her to wait.

So...I marched her up to the checkout, bought her the book. She wanted my address because she would send me the money when she found work but I said just do something to brighten someone's day when you get a chance.

Funny thing is, I didn't buy the book and now I have to go back this weekend and get it.

1) A book section? Yet another another reason to love this forum. If I'm not on the computer, I'm reading. I spent my childhood on a farm, and having access to a library is something that hasn't lost its appeal, even after 30+ years in the city. I'd be broke if I had to pay for every book I've borrowed over the years. You've all just added to my list of authors to check out. I'll never catch up. (I need a smilie.)

2) I'm #43 on the waiting list for Heaven is for Real at our library. Lovely, lovely Costco story, Mary. I'm sure she'll think of your generosity and caring often. Note to self: Make somebody's tomorrow better just because our paths crossed today.

3) I'm #155 for The Help, which I really wanted to read before seeing the movie when my DIL gets back from vacation. Don't think I'll complain about seeing the movie first, though I may go for again after I've read the book.

Back to work, so I can take time off tonight to read!

I absolutely loved The Help. It was one of my favorite books ever. If you like to read about history in fiction, try The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's a fictionalized story about the people in the British island of Guernsey, how they survived the war and outsmarted the Nazis. I also loved The Paris Wife which is about Hemmingway's first wife and a fictionalized story of their time in Paris. If you liked the movie Midnight in Paris, this reminds me of it.

pavalygurl

Back to top Go down

Post by pavalygurl Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 pm

alsoaktchr wrote:Finally got around to reading "Eat - Pray - Love", and have just begun "Committed", the "followup" book on marriage. Will be interested to hear if anyone has read it and has any thoughts to share.
I confess, as a member of TeamBen, I laughed this morning when I saw the quote that introduced Chapter One...."Marriage is a friendship recognized by the police (R.L.Stevenson)" lol
One of these days I'll have to transcribe some of the other quotes....

Eat-Pray-Love is also a big favorite of mine. I bought Committed and it is on my reading pile for when I finally pull myself away from these boards. LOL I really enjoy her writing style.

pavalygurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:44 am

Me too! Hubby rolled his eyes when he saw what I was reading - i think he figured it was just a continuation of Bachelorland...

Back to top Go down

Post by agentcurls Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm currently reading "The Help" & am really enjoying it. Wonderful prose & great one-liners....I can't wait to see the movie, too.

Joey & Kelsey - You're the One

Joey & Kelsey - Why I Love You
agentcurls
agentcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmommy50810 Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Some of my favorite authors are Karen Kingsbury, Terri Blackstock, Bradilyn Collins, Nicholas Sparks, and Sophie Kinsella. I think I have read every book by all of them!

proudmommy50810

Female Posts : 511

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:11 pm

OMG.....I just joined this site to follow along with The Bachelor and Sweet Home Alabama message boards b/c I'm so a sucker for a good love story. Now I found this thread !! Reading is my passion since I was 5 yrs old. In fact, while my siblings used to get "grounded" from playing outside or watching TV , my punishment was taking my books away. Luckily, I learned at an early age to have several books going at once and to have at least 2 hidden in a great place so mom wouldn't find them...LOL. I'm now 58 yrs. old and I read SOMETHING everyday. I love romance in my reading but I also like the book to have some kind of mystery or intrigue too. One of my favorite books of all time is Mirror Image by Sandra Brown. I love Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Lori Foster, Erin McCarthy, Susan Mallery, Cindy Gerard....I could go on and on. Thanks, ladies for your reading ideas.....I have now downloaded 52 samples on my Kindle...LMAO ! Great thread !!

Last edited by autumn on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:13 pm

Anybody belong to "Paperback Swap"? I joined a few months ago but I haven't really figured out how it works.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:47 pm

Just finished a great three book series by Kaki Warner. I really enjoy a book where I catch myself laughing out loud one minute and crying the next. This author really knows how to write. It is a historical western series. The first book was just reissued but I found the second and third book on amazon and wish I had bought all three books with the original covers. The first book is Pieces of Sky, second Open Country, third Chasing the Sun. She has a new series about four unlikely brides beginning with Heartbreak Creek. My only downfall is having to wait for the next three to come out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:52 pm

autumn wrote:Anybody belong to "Paperback Swap"? I joined a few months ago but I haven't really figured out how it works.
Don't know anything about it but might be something to look into. I have found myself starting to keep so many of my favorite books that my top shelf in full. I fear the day we can only read on readers. I have started to look at the kindle fire. I would like to hear how others feel about the new hand held readers. Since I am thinking about getting one would like to hear what people like and dislike about the different ones.

Back to top Go down

Post by deedreamer Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:50 pm

I have not tried the hand held readers...I think I just might be one of the last hold outs. There is something about the way a book feels and smells and I actually like having to find a slip of paper or card to mark my stopping spot. The readers just seem kind of cold and sterile to me...but I guess in the end it is the "green" way to go. I just lament that at some point in the future are folks going to have the same thrill that we have of finding a gem of a read on some old dusty forgotten shelf.

ISaidYes - Books - Discussion  - Page 4 TeamJemSigTag

Be aware of half truths - you may have the wrong half
If you can't impress them with intelligence you can always baffle them with bullsh*t
Will Rogers said that he never met a man he didn't like...but then he never met Mike Fleiss
deedreamer
deedreamer

Female Posts : 939

http://thetoyboxgrannies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by albean99 Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:27 pm

I have a Kindle 3 and love it. I still read real books since I have a bunch I had before and still get some from the library but also enjoy reading on my Kindle. It's great when you're travelling because you only have to carry that one thing and you'll never run out of books. Mine has a leather cover so it feels more like holding a book and the beauty is that you don't have to turn pages. The e-ink is very close to normal pages. It saves your spot but you can also add bookmarks or notes if you like. I tend to get mostly free or inexpensive books and just recently they started letting you get library e-books so I can check them out of my library also.

The bonus now is that the regular one is pretty cheap. My dh may get a Kindle Fire but he already has a regular one so will be for other things than reading.

"Love is the Only Reality" -Ed Lambton
albean99
albean99

Female Posts : 15357

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:19 pm

I got a Kindle 3G almost 3 X-mas' ago and I can't say anthing negative about it. I take it to the beach and can read it in the sun without ANY problem. The battery life is much longer than my hubby's Nook Color. I, too, always have a paperback on my night stand and in the car. But I like the fact that I can read reviews of a book and then download a sample before I buy. I was thinking about getting a Kidnle Fire but the original I have works beautifully so I guess if it aint broke, I won't fix it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Books - Discussion

+47
Junequilts
Kels0012
sublime