SELECT CONTENT

DWTS - Former Contestants - Updated News - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DWTS - Former Contestants - Updated News - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers* - Page 11 Empty Re: DWTS - Former Contestants - Updated News - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

Post by Chgohighlife Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:58 pm

Luvstruck wrote:Well since Tyra is also named as an Executive Producer she will most likely contribute to DWTS budget even if she  is just helping secure funds. They are able to lower costs considerably by cutting the co-host position. As for Tom & Erin they will be missed but both will turn up somewhere else on TV, although Tom is 65 & I am sure he has plenty of money saved for a comfortable retirement.

@Luvstruck
This is major network tv, not community theatre. The Executive Producer has no responsibility to bring in money. Marketing/Advertising/Finance takes care of that and the EP makes sure they don’t overrun the designated budget. If tptb ever feel the show needs an additional host, they’ll budget for one. The elaborate sets cost much more than a decent co-host. I wish they had kept Tom temporarily and phased into their new format but, I’m looking forward to their vision/changes. All IMO

Chgohighlife

Female Posts : 2200

Back to top Go down

DWTS - Former Contestants - Updated News - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers* - Page 11 Empty Re: DWTS - Former Contestants - Updated News - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

Post by LoveDovez Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:40 pm

Sprite wrote:I'm sorry but IMO Tyra does not have the sense of humor to carry the hosting of this show. I have seen her on the Celebrity Watch Party and she isn't really funny, more OTT and trying too hard.

If they want more race representation they could cast more people of colour as part of the cast and dancers. Don't mess with the host. To me that is the one part of the show that didn't need any changing.

@Sprite.Great post...IMO Tom made this show. Tara doesn't have the sense of humor that Tom does. I look for the ratings to fall. I will miss Tom and Erin.;(
LoveDovez
LoveDovez

Female Posts : 4070

Back to top Go down

Post by Chgohighlife Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Some people will always resist change. That’s to be expected, always. However, ratings have gone down, not up and while it’s clearly not Tom and Erin’s fault, there is only one way to determine if a different vision could work better in terms of the bottom line. The fact is, it’s not a comedy show so, there is no reason a less amusing host with more star power can’t work. The truth is, we have no idea what’s being planned. What we do know is it’s been a while since the show has been able to legitimately call itself Dancing With the Stars. As a long term viewer, it is more important to me to see better caliber contestants competing than to see Tom and Erin. I suspect And the network is apparently betting that would help ratings and I’m pretty sure Tyra could support that effort from the worlds of fashion, music, sports and entertainment.
I would relish a cast that doesn’t require a bunch of google searches for almost every contestant. So, onward and upward. Let’s DO this!
All IMO.

Chgohighlife

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:41 am

@Chgohighlife See and I think they will not be getting a better quality of star precisely because they tanked their own show with their manipulative scoring, favoritism that drove fans to vote for people they liked even if they couldn't dance, chitty  selection of unknown SM stars and music. Not to mention judges fawning over certain stars/dancers and being rude to others. I very much doubt Tyra as host is going to change any of that.

All I see is negativity with her announcement. I looked at their Facebook and there are very few comments that are pleased with her taking over the hosting duties from Tom. In fact there are a ton more who are saying they are done with the show. I am one of them. Not that I watched much of late, precisely for the reasons stated above.

I have no problem with change, but change the stuff that isn't working, not the one thing that is. Change for the sake of change does squat. How about the judges? That is where they should have started.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Chgohighlife Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:29 am

Sprite wrote:@Chgohighlife See and I think they will not be getting a better quality of star precisely because they tanked their own show with their manipulative scoring, favoritism that drove fans to vote for people they liked even if they couldn't dance, chitty  selection of unknown SM stars and music. Not to mention judges fawning over certain stars/dancers and being rude to others. I very much doubt Tyra as host is going to change any of that.

All I see is negativity with her announcement. I looked at their Facebook and there are very few comments that are pleased with her taking over the hosting duties from Tom. In fact there are a ton more who are saying they are done with the show. I am one of them. Not that I watched much of late, precisely for the reasons stated above.

I have no problem with change, but change the stuff that isn't working, not the one thing that is. Change for the sake of change does squat. How about the judges? That is where they should have started.

Hi @Sprite,
As usual we have lots of points of agreement. I agree about the judges and said so, above. Thing is...no one has said they aren't changing them. We don't know yet. I'll be surprised if they don't. Bruno is the only one I wouldn't mind seeing next season. He's my personal favorite. Carrie Ann is doing well on The Talk and I have no use for the guy in the middle. Talk about clearly partial, often insulting and generally mirthless!

IMO, whether or not actual Stars will compete on the show under the new format - whatever it is - remains to be seen.
I do believe Tyra has much greater ability than Erin and Tom and the previous EP to access contestants and entertainers the audience and the network really want to see so, agree to disagree on that. IMO the show desperately needs a refresh and if it turns out Tyra isn't the answer, there are many others to choose from. Same goes for the judges. Dozens of potential replacements.

That music has sucked for much too long. How about somebody pay the royalties and get the real artist's version instead of unknowns? Can we go back to real stars appearing to sing their current hits?

The professional dancers are great! I love to watch them all but, this is America and DWTS desperately needs some additional diversity in that troupe and among its pros. Don't like Keo? - fine, replace him but don't keep giving him the absolute worst dancer, most likely to lose early. Design to fail strategies are so insulting to anyone with a brain.  

Sentimentality is not my strong suit. I'm looking forward to the revamp. Anything can be made better but, first you have to try. DWTS is really tired. So, I'm all for trying. It's not a stretch to understand that the audience needs a bit of a refresh too - demos could be better for profitability.

All IMO

Last edited by Chgohighlife on Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Chgohighlife

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrobach Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:30 am

I’m in the category of people - long time “ ex- viewers” - for the reasons that @Sprite explained. I also think that there is an element that no one can predict but that good producers and casting can influence and that is the special chemistry, camaraderie and energy of the different participants working together that gives a great entertainment experience. For instance, that is one if not THE secret sauce that makes the Voice consistently a great show, despite some of the debatable technical choices relative to voting. We can tell everyone is having a good time and they respect each other and what each brings to the table. It feels like a big fun maybe somewhat dysfunctional family but the LOVE is there.

On the other hand, DWTS has morphed through the years with too many and too apparent personal conflicts, favoritism, rule changes and I rarely felt that the judges, dancers or hosts were actually liked and respected by all, you could sense the tension between so many of them and it’s palpable to the audience. Add to that the whole aspect of social media and ‘influencers’ from barely known personalities and when you sense the rigging of votes, it’s just not worth watching anymore.
I personally did not like the little I saw from Tyra Banks on AGT as a host. She lacks that ability to be flexible and genuinely interested in listening and featuring THE OTHERS, she’s so used to the spotlight. With the additional role of EP, who knows what and how she will influence the new format but I have a feeling that she won’t really match with the judges or the dancers. This is a role - the host- that is the KEY role to bring all the parts together in a seamless way. It takes someone who is able to get along with and be liked by all. The dancers, participants, the judges and the public. We can already see that’s not the case, so it’s a wrong move IMO . I guess we’ll see how it develops...not too invested anyway except I wanted to cheer Kaitlyn on!
JMOAA
Astrobach
Astrobach

Back to top Go down

Post by Chgohighlife Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:43 am

Astrobach wrote:I’m in the category of people - long time “ ex- viewers” - for the reasons that @Sprite  explained. I also think that there is an element that no one can predict but that good producers and casting can influence and that is the special chemistry, camaraderie and energy of the different participants working together that gives a great entertainment experience.  For instance, that is one if not THE secret sauce that makes the Voice consistently a great show, despite some of the debatable technical choices relative to voting. We can tell everyone is having a good time and they respect each other and what each brings to the table. It feels like a big fun maybe somewhat dysfunctional family but the LOVE is there.

On the other hand, DWTS has morphed through the years with too many and too apparent personal conflicts, favoritism, rule changes and I rarely felt that the judges, dancers or hosts were actually liked and respected by all, you could sense the tension between so many of them and it’s palpable to the audience. Add to that the whole aspect of social media and ‘influencers’ from barely known personalities and when you sense the rigging of votes, it’s just not worth watching anymore.
I personally did not like the little I saw from Tyra Banks on AGT as a host. She lacks that ability to be flexible and genuinely interested in listening and featuring THE OTHERS, she’s so used to the spotlight. With the additional role of EP, who knows what and how she will influence the new format but I have a feeling that she won’t really match with the judges or the dancers. This is a role - the host- that is the KEY role to bring all the parts together in a seamless way. It takes someone who is able to get along with and be liked by all. The dancers, participants, the judges and the public. We can already see that’s not the case, so it’s a wrong move IMO . I guess we’ll see how it develops...not too invested anyway except I wanted to cheer Kaitlyn on!
JMOAA

Well, @Astrobach - you said the show isn't worth watching anymore and I think several million viewers agreed with you and voted with there remote so, there's plenty of opportunity for improvement and apparently nowhere to go but up.
Also, It's not necessary for Tyra to pull everyone previously on (especially, judges) together. Maybe the refresh doesn't have to include them. By giving her EP as well as host, ABC gave Tyra the power to make it work, if it works. No worries, people who want to get paid will get along with Tyra, or leave. We all know how that works. All IMO

Chgohighlife

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:53 am

Well said @Astrobach. I totally agree about the host bringing all the parts together and I just don't see her doing that at all. I suspect she will be bringing much of the attention on herself instead of showcasing others. Let her be an executive producer, fine. She can use her pull to get better cast, but I just don't see her as the host.

I looked at her in the announcement video on Facebook and I just cringed. She looked like she was made up for Halloween like one of the characters from Beetlejuice and was so OTT. Not what I want from a host.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrobach Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:00 am

@Sprite Thanks and Yeah the extra “ who knows what” cosmetic surgery, or Botox or fillers or whatever it IS U G L Y and she looks so unnatural, I didn’t even want to start my rant here laugh out loud That’s one my personal criteria...how they appear and how much they are changing their appearances for ‘ the show’ it’s not enhancing anymore, its outright Frankenstein- ing people IMO.
Astrobach
Astrobach

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:24 am

Sprite wrote:It seems that many of the comments on the Facebook announcement are not very happy about getting rid of Tom and replacing him with Tyra.

Well, I suspect those negative comments are from people like us. Remember, they are going in a different direction and want new viewers - so naturally we are not who they are looking for! Announcing someone of color like Jamie Foxx would have made me very excited! But Tyra, no.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5301

Back to top Go down

Post by Chgohighlife Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:17 pm

Norcalgal wrote:
Sprite wrote:It seems that many of the comments on the Facebook announcement are not very happy about getting rid of Tom and replacing him with Tyra.

Well, I suspect those negative comments are from people like us. Remember, they are going in a different direction and want new viewers - so naturally we are not who they are looking for! Announcing someone of color like Jamie Foxx would have made me very excited! But Tyra, no.

@Norcalgal
You hit the nail on the head. Raw numbers of viewers are nice on paper but it’s the younger demo that makes the show profitable. I’m sure several potential hosts were considered for Tyra’s slot so, Kudos to her team for landing her the host gig which is nice but, much more importantly - the Executive Producer position which is HUGE. With this she is much more powerful and paid. Tyra’s EP experience on 24 seasons of her iconic America’s Next Top Model has more than prepared her for this gig and I’m looking forward to seeing her vision. Hopefully, she can get Derek and Max back for a bit. I love the amazing creativity of both. This is a good time for a Mandy Moore replacement along with a couple of the judges and a much better music director. I’m excited to see what will be and happy to get out of the slump the show has been in for some time for a whole host of reasons.
All IMO.

Chgohighlife

Back to top Go down

Post by Doats Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:47 pm

I've been reading about the Tyra announcement on Yahoo and have not read a single comment supporting her as a replacement for Tom/Erin. Not even one. Seems like people agree this was a bad decision.

Doats

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

DWTS - Former Contestants - Updated News - Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

+32
jojo47
Amethyst
LoveDovez
MiniDiva
bluwavz