SELECT CONTENT

Angie Kent - Carlin Sterritt - Bachelorette Australia - Season 5 - Discussion

Page 27 of 66 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 46 ... 66  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Angie Kent - Carlin Sterritt - Bachelorette Australia - Season 5 - Discussion  - Page 27 Empty Re: Angie Kent - Carlin Sterritt - Bachelorette Australia - Season 5 - Discussion

Post by Genevieve Australia Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:59 am

Astrobach wrote:So, please help out a ‘non Australian ‘ neighbor! What the H#$@ is. ‘ bogan’ ???
Since I heard it, at first I thought it was a regional thing, then a type of people ( mix of bohemian and something else? ) I’m still lost and although it might be difficult to perfectly define, Ill appreciate your enlightening comments!
TYIA

It is nothing to do with bohemian, it is about lack of subtlety, certain lack of care that some may believe to be cool; in some cases it is about showing off, a great desire to stand out by doing unconventional things, it is  often {not always} related vulgarity, loudness, tackiness, over-swearing, or showing  cheap attitude or lack of sophistication, or a common personality yet you can still be a good person. I guess some may think is a bit like a Chav (when in young people) or somehow like that very prerogative American term, white-trash. See, bogan started as an epithet directed to caucasians, it originates in Western Australia, but now it is most broadly used. I am Caucasian but I would never be called a bogan based on attitude and culture . A European born person or someone who grew up overseas is not likely to be called a bogan, the same applies to Asians, Africans, South Americans or people of the Muslim community; you don't really call a muslim person a bogan because they do not tend to exhibit certain behaviours. They are more reserved. I would never think of you as a bogan, never ever!

In Australia there are also some towns that are considered typically bogan, for example, The Gold Coast is considered to be very cashed up bogan, then Ipswich, Logan, Dandenong, Albion Park, Kalgoorlie, Nimbin, Hervey Bay, even Byron Bay (more the cashed-up type of Bogan but can be voth), there is even a Facebook page called 'S#$t Towns Australia' in which this is explained with humour. They make fun of all Australian cities of course, they deliberately ignore the negative. Also, it is commonly said that Bogans love to go to Bali ;) It doesn't mean only bogans go to Bali but bogans especially seem to love Bali. If I had to think of a city overseas that has very bogan aspects IMO it would be Las Vegas.I would never ever go to Las Vegas, it just screams bad taste to me.

IF you want to laugh a lot there is a page written by people who had to change their names in order to avoid abuse but they were so popular that they even published a book: Things Bogans Like, this is the website (they are extremists, but seriously, read it and you will have a laugh). I bet you will recognise bogans in your country too ;) I hope I was helpful. https://thingsboganslike.com/  Check the about section because it describes it as a world-wide phenomenon : https://thingsboganslike.com/about/

Last edited by Genevieve Australia on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:20 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : to add symbols and IMO -to elaborate to clarify points)

'You are always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company.' - Diane Von Furstenberg Angie Kent - Carlin Sterritt - Bachelorette Australia - Season 5 - Discussion  - Page 27 1176891977
Genevieve Australia
Genevieve Australia

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Angie Kent - Carlin Sterritt - Bachelorette Australia - Season 5 - Discussion  - Page 27 Empty Re: Angie Kent - Carlin Sterritt - Bachelorette Australia - Season 5 - Discussion

Post by Astrobach Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:16 am

@Genevieve Australia
:Thanktwo  that is SO helpful, and making more sense now! I see Tara now, and Angie as well...
For reference, I am similarly repulsed by Las Vegas... aptly nicknamed ‘Sin City’ laugh out loud and would die happy to never set foot there despite it being much closer than other destinations that I crave for. ( i.e. the REAL Paris, and the REAL Venezia etc...without the artificial pretend crap. )

I’ll go look at this site and report later, many thanks again !

Last edited by Astrobach on Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Astrobach
Astrobach

Back to top Go down

Post by Genevieve Australia Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:41 am

Astrobach wrote:@Genevieve Australia
:Thanktwo  that is SO helpful, and making more sense now! I see Tara now, and Angie as well...
For reference, I am similarly repulsed by Las Vegas... aptly nicknamed ‘Sin City’ laugh out loud and would die happy to never set foot there despite it being much closer than other destinations that I crave for. ( i.e. the REAL Paris, and the REAL Venezia etc...without the artificial pretend crap.

I’ll go look at this site and report later, many thanks again !

Just remember that they take it to the extreme and that according to them one trait alone doesn't make you a bogan, it is a combination of things. Their book is everywhere, even at the airport ;) Clearly there is a lot of sarcasm so to them it is not necessarily something a person does what makes them a bogan but the reasons behind it. Perhaps after this viewers who are not in Australia will be able to watch the show from a more 'Aussie' perspective Smiley

'You are always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company.' - Diane Von Furstenberg Angie Kent - Carlin Sterritt - Bachelorette Australia - Season 5 - Discussion  - Page 27 1176891977
Genevieve Australia
Genevieve Australia

Back to top Go down

Post by catsamber500 Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:56 am

Bobette wrote:
Reality TV fans reckon The Bachelorette's Carlin Sterritt isn't as genuine as he seems

DEC 03, 2019 10:45AM

It hasn't even been a month since Angie Kent and Carlin Sterritt proclaimed their love for one another in The Bachelorette finale, but it's hardly been a fairytale romance - for the Aussie public at least.

While we're still getting over Timm's dumping (RIP), certain nuggets of information and Instagram clues have led fans to believe that winner Carlin, 30, may not be as genuine as he seems.

Let's examine the evidence, shall we?

That flirty comment on Bachelor in Paradise star Tara Pavlovic's Instagram post

It seems that Carlin had his eyes set on a former Bachie contestant way before he applied for Angie's season.

In fact, when Tara Pavlovic was starring on the first season of Bachelor in Paradise in 2018, the fitness trainer left the one-word comment - "Stunner" - on a picture she uploaded to Instagram.

The comment came shortly after his separation with his wife, which leads neatly to the next point...

The ex-wife drama

During his 24 hour date with Angie early on in the series, Carlin confessed that he was technically still married.

"In 2016, I got married. We've been apart for a year and a half. We've drifted apart you know and I was pretty hurt in the process. She's moved overseas now and for me, I've closed that chapter of my life ... So, we filed for divorce and stuff, but I suppose that was the last stage of that so it hasn't been final yet," he revealed during the episode.

The ex-wife in question, Taran Higgins, even shared a supportive message to Carlin in a caption of the couple in a wedding-themed photo shoot, but Angie told Now To Love that she was left a little confused by Taran's post.

"I think it would be a little bit different if she posted it now with her in a wedding dress and him, but she didn't know the outcome. She didn't know that Carlin was the one at the end," Angie said.

"I think it was a beautiful message, but the picture is a bit of an interesting choice, if I'm going to be completely honest. Like why is homegirl wearing a wedding dress?"

His secret acting career

Carlin's motives for going on The Bachelorette were called into question, when it was revealed he wanted to use the show to boost his acting and modelling profile.

Though he was described as a fitness trainer by producers, news of Carlin's on-screen projects soon came out.

Fellow Bachelorette contestant Jamie Doran warned Angie of her suitor's "real" intentions, and even Carlin's brother said during hometown visits that at the start of the competition, Carlin was on the show to further his career.

"I didn't want to talk about acting and modelling, because I never wanted Angie to question my sincerity," Carlin told TV WEEK.

"I tried to be myself and as genuine as possible."

That subtle swipe at runner-up Timm Hanly

When you attack sweet angel Timm Hanly, you attack us.

In a recent Instagram post from his Vietnam vacay with Angie, Carlin made a subtle swipe at the Bachelorette runner-up, who Angie dubbed her "soulmate" with his caption, "My best friend I haven't friend-zoned."

But despite all the drama circulating, Angie and Carlin seem to still be enjoying one another's company.

Source

Bobette wrote:
Storybook wrote: ...snipped
As for Matt and Chelsie the media reported them as a happy couple. They got that wrong.

Exactly my point - IMO the media doesn't automatically publish negative articles.  I also disagree that negative stories necessarily sell more than positive ones.  

IMO the media are reporting what they are seeing and hearing about the status of Angie and Carlin's relationship, from various sources, and it doesn't bode well.

According to that article Carlin made one comment on an instagram post in 2018, has an ex-wife (many people have exes) has dabbled in a bit of acting, and made a comment that Angie was his best friend (which IMO had absolutely nothing to do with Timm and is actually a good way to think of your significant other).   None of that proves that there are issues in their relationship or that it isn't real IMO. no idea

Last edited by catsamber500 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
catsamber500
catsamber500

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Looking Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:03 am

@catsamber500 Exactly. IMO, they prove nothing.

Just Looking

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobette Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:19 am

catsamber500 wrote:
Bobette wrote:
Storybook wrote: ...snipped
As for Matt and Chelsie the media reported them as a happy couple. They got that wrong.

Exactly my point - IMO the media doesn't automatically publish negative articles.  I also disagree that negative stories necessarily sell more than positive ones.  

IMO the media are reporting what they are seeing and hearing about the status of Angie and Carlin's relationship, from various sources, and it doesn't bode well.

According to that article Carlin made one comment on an instagram post in 2018, has an ex-wife (many people have exes) has dabbled in a bit of acting, and made a comment that Angie was his best friend (which IMO had absolutely nothing to do with Timm and is actually a good way to think of your significant other).   How  does any of that prove that there are issues in their relationship or that it isn't real? no idea

ReneeM wrote:Several posts have been deleted for breaking the rules, & the subsequent conversations that stemmed from that post have also been deleted. This is a general discussion thread, ALL opinions regarding Angie & Carlin are fair game. No one has to be positive about them. People are free to hold and state their negative opinions. Choosing to be positive about a couple or an individual you like is also fine, what’s against the rules is trying to force other members to justify their opinions when it differs from yours and being snarky. If seeing negative opinions of this couple bothers anyone, I’d implore them to stick to the fan thread.
Bobette
Bobette

Back to top Go down

Post by Vjeff Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 am

Genevieve Australia wrote:
Vjeff wrote:
Genevieve Australia wrote:
Bobette wrote:Before the show I too thought of Angie as a cute funny boganish blonde, like Tara, but I actually see her now as being much more like Ali - commercial, into plastic surgery, with typical/vanilla taste in men, if Carlin is any guide.

Tara would not have chosen Carlin as her F1 IMO - her fiancé seems like everything Angie said she wanted - funny, a bit crazy, a guy to chill out on the couch with and eat pizza - and I'm not surprised she didn't reply to Carlin's comment.

What that comment says to me is that Carlin was either aiming to hook up with a girl on TV/from the Bach franchise or attract the attention of people connected to the show.  His goal was to get famous IMO so mission accomplished.

Angie, like Sophie Monk, is a bogan and so is Tara, but Tara is a mega-bogan; I think that is the general consensus in Australia because bogan is a specific category and they -Angie, Sophie Monk, Tara- have referred to themselves  as bogans. Aly IMO is more cheesy than bogan. IMO most of the contestants both male and female are  bogans; arguably, it is a very bogan thing (although not exclusively)  to join a reality TV show. Todd for example, can be charming but he is a bogan who likes bogans and mega bogans.  IMO, sadly, in Australia, the bogan culture is spreading due to reality TV.  Anyway, there are nice bogans and there are odious bogans.  The fact that Carlin likes bogans is IMO not surprising,  I dare say that almost all contestants we saw on Angie's season are bogans, and that includes Carlin. IMO Carlin is a lovable, almost timid, very nice bogan but bogan nevertheless, and I have no issues with that. I still like him and Angie together.  Finally, I don't really care about what he wrote on Instagram 1 or 2 years ago; but I am not a 'true fan' of  either of them because I am not into 'fandom'.

Not sad that bogan culture is spreading....it is literally our culture in our country. Lol.

I disagree, I do not believe Australia is bogan per se, the word 'bogan' is Australian yet you will find that individuals who fit  the bogan label are everywhere in the world, especially in the US,  and it is usually not seeing positively, the same applies for the concept of CUB (cashed-up bogan). Further, a bogan can belong to any social class.  In fact, there are journal articles written by social scientists and behavioural scientists discussing this topic, articles which are commonly prescribed at universities. Some of these articles are quite revealing because even though we Australians see ourselves as egalitarian we really aren't and although we are highly socially mobile, social mobility is still not easy to attain here for certain groups and we stigmatise certain groups of people. If you @Vjeff don't do judge others and are happy to embrace 'boganess' then I sincerely applaud your attitude (I am not being snarky at all, I really admire people who show a tolerant, open mind Smiley ). Personally, I am very self-aware, I  know I have unconscious bias and I cannot help being a snob, partly due to my family background. I cannot help feeling what I do even if rationally I intend to change that feeling.

I concede that for many people, here in Australia, the spread of bogan culture is something they are rather enthusiastic about, I respect that yet I will never share their enthusiasm for boganess.

It is a complicated feeling for me - I came here very young as an immigrant from Italy and most aspects of my personality are still Italian but for the most part I grew up in Adelaide and am proud to be an SA bogan because we came here for a better life and I love Australia as my country and love being part of the most 'authentic' culture. I used to think like this about bogans but since I started working at an investment bank and met so many Sydney north shore snobs I think the label can be a bit classist and aimed towards people who grew up poorer which is why I don't always love it Smiley but totally understand your viewpoint! My Mum is the same Smiley
Vjeff
Vjeff

Back to top Go down

Post by catsamber500 Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:44 am

Apologies @Bobette I didn't mean to frame my comment in that way.  I have edited the last sentence to make it clear it is just my opinion. Smiley
catsamber500
catsamber500

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Looking Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:37 am

IMO, this forum has gone off the rails. All this focus now on “bogan “Australians. I feel uncomfortable with this IMO, branding people as bogans is very judgemental and disrespectful and not in the Australian spirit. It’s becoming too personal IMO

Just Looking

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:44 pm

Just Looking wrote:IMO, this forum has gone off the rails.   All this focus now on  “bogan “Australians.  I feel uncomfortable with this  IMO, branding people as bogans is very judgemental and disrespectful and not in the Australian spirit.   It’s becoming too personal IMO

As I've heard the term 'bogan' but don't really encounter it in daily US life, I turned to the authority on all matters, hmm, Urban Dictionary:
Bogan - Urban Dictionary
https://www.urbandictionary.com › define › term=Bogan
Also known as ferals or trailer trash, bogans are usually people of low socio- economic status, that live in cheap housing and drive old Holdens and Fords.

I am familiar with the US term 'trailer trash' and, while I may silently think of someone as such, never in a public forum would I label a person with that term. So I agree that spending 2+ pages on the 'bogan' culture is a bit much for a discussion thread on Angie and Carlin. Let's keep on point here.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5301

Back to top Go down

Post by Genevieve Australia Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:35 am

Norcalgal wrote:
Just Looking wrote:IMO, this forum has gone off the rails.   All this focus now on  “bogan “Australians.  I feel uncomfortable with this  IMO, branding people as bogans is very judgemental and disrespectful and not in the Australian spirit.   It’s becoming too personal IMO

As I've heard the term 'bogan' but don't really encounter it in daily US life, I turned to the authority on all matters, hmm, Urban Dictionary:
Bogan - Urban Dictionary
https://www.urbandictionary.com › define › term=Bogan
Also known as ferals or trailer trash, bogans are usually people of low socio- economic status, that live in cheap housing and drive old Holdens and Fords.

I am familiar with the US term 'trailer trash' and, while I may silently think of someone as such, never in a public forum would I label a person with that term. So I agree that spending 2+ pages on the 'bogan' culture is a bit much for a discussion thread on Angie and Carlin. Let's keep on point here.

@Norcalgal   the Urban Dictionarun is misleading and its definition offensive. A bogan is not trailer trash and we don’t use that term in Australia as it is insulting so equating bogan to that is unfair.  To avoid this IMO it is relevant for the audience of the Australian franchise to understand at least partially the term bogan for has been  used on the show and not necessarily negatively. Understanding the term  provides context to people who are not Australian and watch the shows. @Norcalgal right now ‘bogan’ is not necessarily  applicable  to tradies or working class, technically even Kim Kardashian is a bogan. Bogan denotes an attitude. For all those who are offended, the term is not even perceived as offensive anymore because it has a ‘down to earth’ feeling to it. Past leads, including Sophie Monk and Angie (this IMO is relevant) refer to themselves as bogans and that is believed to be part of their appeal. Makong sure the term is understood by non-Australian viewers is IMO important  because of the very nature of the show. The term has been used by the media and contestants outside the show and on the show. I want to emphasise that it isn’t necessarily a derogatory  term. In fact, Lee, Georgia’s F1 said during the show that he liked that she was a bit of a lady and a bit of a bogan. People loved that because Australians IMO find that  that a good mix in general. Finally, I strongly recommend to avoid the urban Dictionary for it isn’t a real dictionary and is in fact highly inaccurate.

Last edited by Genevieve Australia on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:54 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Editing)

Genevieve Australia
Genevieve Australia

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrobach Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:29 am

@Genevieve Australia
Thank you again for all the clarification you provided, and I personally have learned more accurately from your explanations than anything else. It’s a term that was ‘ bugging’ me and am glad you eloquently exposed it’s origin as much as it’s cultural use. Language is one of my thing, and I strive to know what words mean, especially as a non native English speaker.
high five
Astrobach
Astrobach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 66 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 46 ... 66  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Angie Kent - Carlin Sterritt - Bachelorette Australia - Season 5 - Discussion

+32
Enough
ReneeM
Emayem
Valancy
stopperify