SELECT CONTENT

Abigail Heringer - Bachelor 25 - Discussion

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Abigail Heringer - Bachelor 25 - Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Abigail Heringer - Bachelor 25 - Discussion

Post by officeRules Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:17 pm

@Ruqibabe
Hi all.

I have not posted here in several years - but have been meaning to rejoin the fun.
When the community started to swirl the rumour that a deafie was going to be on the cast, I was very much excited to see what was going to happen.

I am an ASL user and Deaf. I work in Deaf education. My sister is also deaf and wears double cochlear implants. The informative post above is fantastic and I would fully endorse almost everything mentioned within it. With the very brief exception of the statement that if you use ASL, you are deaf. Abigail Heringer - Bachelor 25 - Discussion - Page 8 1f603 I do know what the author meant (I believe) but there are many many people who are hearing who use ASL as a primary language in the home.

Anyways, just wanted to say "Hi".
I actually laughed while reading the description of deafies as 'fakers' because it is 100% true. When watching the episodes so far, it has been through my culturally deaf lens - so I have enjoyed the very brief glimpses of Abigail and her journey. I am not surprised that she hasn't been given a whole lot of screen time. Many of those dates and social interactions would be problematic - but that is just life. I would have liked to see more indication that Abigail has the need to advocate for herself and show a little bit about her experience in the house and while filming - small things which in Bachelor nation and filming are necessary to change in order to be accessible. (Reading of the date cards, how cast is lined up when description of date activities are being read, the traditional 'couch' chats and how everyone is sitting beside each other. etc) For example: NOT once has she been shown to ask, "Can you repeat that?" That just is not an indication of reality - but probably wouldn't make for interesting tv. I know that this is not something that will happen since Bachelor Nation hasn't really had that awareness in the past - or a reason to be made aware). Excited to see a cast member there, but wish that we were getting more of her story.

Number one - Whenever I read the HI (impaired) words I actually cringe. This is a term which has thankfully almost fallen out of use. I'm not surprised that the Bachelor franchise actually has it as a descriptor in Abigail's bio, as they have been slow to catch up with the times in the area of diversity and inclusion. There is nothing 'impaired' about my life. Absolutely yes, words matter. The HI words actually came into use to replace the previous 'Deaf and Dumb' descriptors - so many think that it is better. It isn't.

I am watching, and it is great entertainment. I have been watching since season one - so to finally have someone on screen who represents my community in a small way is great. On the other side of the coin, is a bit sad. Why did it take so long?

officeRules
officeRules

Female Posts : 992

Back to top Go down

Abigail Heringer - Bachelor 25 - Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Abigail Heringer - Bachelor 25 - Discussion

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:23 pm

@officeRules welcomeback

Thank you for sharing your personal story and such an informative post! bestbud!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71280

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:47 pm

@officeRules Good to see you back.

I work with people who have developmental disorders and we sometimes use ASL as a way to help them communicate. Some are deaf and some are not, but they lack the verbal skills to speak so ASL is one of the alternatives we try.

I also wish tptb would show or explain some of the things that Abigail has to deal with, but they are very simplistic so only one issue per season. This time...racism...and clearly they couldn't even get that right. no no

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:07 pm

@officeRules So glad to have you back and especially with such an informative post. You bring up so many good points - I was not a big user of HI but definitely will catch myself before using that again. And the one issue per person is so apropos, esp when it comes to Abigail. I think having cast members with challenges (hearing, race, Sarah with the one arm, maybe we'll get someone with Tourette's, etc) help bring awareness of those challenges and also remind us how normal each person is.
@Sprite Smiling at "couldn't even get that (race) right"! These producers are aiming for smack middle America.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5282

Back to top Go down

Post by frajosfanofchris Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:15 am

I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan
frajosfanofchris
frajosfanofchris

Female Posts : 2299

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaybird Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:59 am

Norcalgal wrote:@officeRules So glad to have you back and especially with such an informative post. You bring up so many good points - I was not a big user of HI but definitely will catch myself before using that again. And the one issue per person is so apropos, esp when it comes to Abigail. I think having cast members with challenges (hearing, race, Sarah with the one arm, maybe we'll get someone with Tourette's, etc) help bring awareness of those challenges and also remind us how normal each person is.
@Sprite Smiling at "couldn't even get that (race) right"! These producers are aiming for smack middle America.

That’s a big swath of the country to take aim at IMO. There’s a lot of unsettling stereotyping on these threads that is frustrating to read as someone living in the southeastern US. I really like this forum and I feel kinship with you guys. but it’s hard to read these comments without feeling unwelcome. No matter where we’re from we all have examples of good and also problematic neighbors, acquaintances, you name it. at least that’s my opinion. I’d like to think most people are normal clear-eyed sensible humans who aren’t haters or troglodytes, no matter our zip code. bestbud!

Jaybird

Female Posts : 727

Back to top Go down

Post by frajosfanofchris Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:02 am

She got verified today on Instagram

I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan
frajosfanofchris
frajosfanofchris

Female Posts : 2299

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruqibabe Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:50 am

frajosfanofchris wrote:She got verified today on Instagram
Yesterday...

Ruqibabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:44 pm

@Jaybird One reason I am on this board is that we strive to make everyone feel welcome. I apologize to you as my comments are not making you feel that way. I watch this show for entertainment purposes only and am frustrated that my expectations for entertainment are coming up short. I shouldn't have spewed off like I did. :iamsorry:

Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruqibabe Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:47 pm

Very graceful lady... Love Love Love her... 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLW0wdTpgkB/?igshid=1f1oyxogz8cq
Abigail Heringer - Bachelor 25 - Discussion - Page 8 Screen53

Ruqibabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:05 pm

Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaybird Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:48 pm

@Norcalgal thank you for your reply. It’s all good!
This season is so frustrating on so many levels and there was such potential for them to have made it really entertaining without the negativity. How TBTB can’t see that they don’t need to add more bad vibes to the world is just beyond me. I guess they can’t help themselves. no no

Jaybird

Female Posts : 727

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Abigail Heringer - Bachelor 25 - Discussion

+25
provenceguy
VanillaCoke
beader
CHO
Idlemess