SELECT CONTENT

Bachelorette Australia - Season 7 - Brooke Blurton - General Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

Page 6 of 23 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bachelorette Australia - Season 7 - Brooke Blurton - General Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers* - Page 6 Empty Re: Bachelorette Australia - Season 7 - Brooke Blurton - General Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

Post by bachfan101 Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:52 pm

@"Sprite She is Indigenous - I remember listening to a podcast she did with shameless (or someone like that) V interesting! Talked about her background and school issues with racism
If you could pick someone, who would it be??

bachfan101

Back to top Go down

Bachelorette Australia - Season 7 - Brooke Blurton - General Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers* - Page 6 Empty Re: Bachelorette Australia - Season 7 - Brooke Blurton - General Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

Post by Sprite Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:03 am

There isn't really anyone that jumps out for me. The pickings are even slimmer if they are trying to cast someone diverse and not fake.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobette Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:40 am

Sprite wrote:@Bobette I've forgot why does Renee tick the diversity card?

I guess when a show is criticized for not casting minorities, I expect them to cast a visible minority. She doesn't exactly scream that to me. Kind of like when they cast Jaun Pablo.

She's a First Nations (Larrakia) woman - see interview below.  yes

Bachelor In Paradise's Renee Barrett Says She Was Known As The 'Black Girl' In School

Alicia Vrajlal

‘Bachelor In Paradise’ contestant Renee Barrett has opened up about her Indigenous Australian heritage, saying she often felt “segregated” at school, and has been told she’s “pretty for an Aboriginal’ in her adult life.

Born and raised in Darwin, the 26-year-old Larrakia woman said her heritage “played a huge part” in her upbringing and is still central to her identity.

In childhood, she was discriminated against by other kids because of the way she looked.

“In school I was always known as the ‘black girl’ and for me, being so young, I didn’t understand why I was being segregated,” she said.

In time she learnt more about her cultural roots and the history of First Nations people in Australia, saying it helped her connect with her hometown given the Larrakia people are the traditional owners of the Darwin region.

“As I grew up my family really started to teach me about my heritage and how important it was to always remain respectful to others around me,” she explained. “I have been pretty blessed to live in Darwin with my clan. This is my home and this is where I feel like I belong.”

Last year fellow ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ contestant Brooke Blurton said she had been told by strangers she’s “pretty for an Aboriginal”.

“Unfortunately, like Brooke, I did also receive these comments [in the past],” said Renee.

“These statements are so hurtful and are so detrimental to a young girl’s mental health. I remember going home in tears and asking why people didn’t like me. No one should ever have to feel like that.”

After initially appearing on ‘The Bachelor Australia’ in 2019, Renee returned to the small screen this year on franchise spinoff, ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ which is still airing now. During her time on the dating show, she’s been surrounded by drama, confronting her ex Ciarran Stott earlier in the season about him cheating on her in the outside world.

“I had lost my voice and identity in my previous relationship. It took a lot to return to the independent woman I was,” Renee told HuffPost. “With the help of some close friends and my family I became that strong woman again.

“I did not know how the viewers would understand the situations that developed in Paradise especially with the public perception of Ciarran, but before entering Paradise I had said ‘I wanted to stay true to myself in Fiji’ and I believe I did just that.”

Her actions on-screen have been praised by many viewers, particularly other Indigenous woman who appreciate her setting an example and representing First Nations people on national television.

I am honestly so overwhelmed by the amount of messages from young girls and older women thanking me for being such a good role model,” said the healthcare coordinator.  “It’s not something you ever really expect but I am so honoured that I can be someone they look up to.”

She also said “there is not enough diversity” on Australian TV, and that this should be considered when casting ‘The Bachelorette’ next year.  

“I am hoping that the public really gets behind having a beautiful, strong, intelligent Indigenous women as their next bachelorette for 2021.”

The ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ finale airs on Sunday at 7:30pm on Channel 10.

Source

Also I should clarify that I'm not typecasting her or saying TPTB would ONLY want Renee for that reason (she ticks a lot of other boxes) but with the political climate in AU at the moment and especially in the Entertainment/Sports arenas, Ch 10 will be absolutely roasted if the 2021 Lead is another white blonde chick, IMO.
Bobette
Bobette

Back to top Go down

Post by leavers Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:49 am

Yep, I can't see them not casting at least one non-white lead. Not only because of the Australian political climate but it might end up coming as a directive from the tippy-top (Mike Fleiss) given what's happening in the US franchise right now too.

~Say it one more time~
leavers
leavers

Female Posts : 1339

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:54 am

@Bobette Thank you for that interview, but to me she looks like another brunette white woman. I don't understand people mistreating others because of the way they look and frankly, to me she doesn't look different. Same with Brooke. That's why I didn't understand JPab being touted as diverse...the first Latin lead. Like could they have chosen anyone who looks more vanilla? If you are going to spout about how diverse you are being, then choose someone who actually looks diverse, not someone who is as close to white as you can get. JMO

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobette Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:58 am

leavers wrote:Yep, I can't see them not casting at least one non-white lead. Not only because of the Australian political climate but it might end up coming as a directive from the tippy-top (Mike Fleiss) given what's happening in the US franchise right now too.

Yep, Chris Harrison, Eddie McGuire, BLM protests all around the country - the climate would be very hostile towards yet another whitewashed season IMO.  Casting a token non-caucasian person like they usually do is just not going to cut it this year IMO.  

Brooke would have been considered too IMO but she's still at 7.50 on Sportsbet so I'm guessing either she declined or TPTB opted to go with Renee because she was more recently on BiP (not to mention Brooke's IMO fake dalliance with Alexnation  Rolling Eyes).

Sprite wrote:@Bobette Thank you for that interview, but to me she looks like another brunette white woman. I don't understand people mistreating others because of the way they look and frankly, to me she doesn't look different. Same with Brooke. That's why I didn't understand JPab being touted as diverse...the first Latin lead. Like could they have chosen anyone who looks more vanilla? If you are going to spout about how diverse you are being, then choose someone who actually looks diverse, not someone who is as close to white as you can get. JMO

I totally get what you mean, but a lot of First Nations Australians have light skin.  Indigenous identity is determined by bloodlines and traditional homelands.  Larrakia people are the traditional owners of the land around Darwin where Renee lives and grew up.  Due to disgraceful historical practices by our government which included removing Aboriginal children from their parents to "assimilate" into white culture, there have been a lot of inter-racial relationships among Indigenous families, however their cultural identity remains strong no matter how light their skin.
Bobette
Bobette

Back to top Go down

Post by leavers Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:11 am

Sprite wrote:@Bobette Thank you for that interview, but to me she looks like another brunette white woman. I don't understand people mistreating others because of the way they look and frankly, to me she doesn't look different. Same with Brooke. That's why I didn't understand JPab being touted as diverse...the first Latin lead. Like could they have chosen anyone who looks more vanilla? If you are going to spout about how diverse you are being, then choose someone who actually looks diverse, not someone who is as close to white as you can get. JMO

Juan Pablo was white hispanic though. He didn't 'look' diverse because he was white. His diversity was cultural, not racial.

There is a fairly complicated history with Australia's Indigenous peoples. Stolen generations, white-passing children from Aboriginal families being prevented from seeing their dark skinned relatives by social services, and white-passing Aboriginal children still being treated badly by peers. White-passing Aboriginal people have been actively discriminated against by shock jocks who say they're only in it for the welfare payments, even when their ties to Country and their people are active and strong. So I don't think at all that the fact that Renee is white-passing means that she wouldn't be a diverse lead.
leavers
leavers

Female Posts : 1339

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:04 am

@leavers I understand the history. It is similar to what happened to the indigenous people in Canada. I'm not suggesting that she wouldn't be a diverse lead, but just like in the case of Juan Pablo, IMO it would be a case where it would seem that diverse is more palatable to tptb if they look more white. Now a lot has happened in the years since that season, so now we have had Rachel, Tayshia and Matt in the USA, but initially when JPab was cast and they started touting how inclusive they were, I just shook my head, because to me he really didn't seem that different.

I understand that his diversity was cultural, but they didn't really showcase any of that and if that is why they cast him, I would have thought the least they could do was show us why he was different than all the leads before him. Basically he had an accent and he was from Venezuela and that was that. If that is the goal with Renee if she becomes the lead, I hope they pay more than just lip service to the cultural differences.

Last edited by Sprite on Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dumb Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:06 am

For me, as a brown POC, it doesn't really make a difference if I there's a white lead or an Indigenous Australian one. Colour should not make a difference. For me, this stuff isn't real, all I'm here for is entertainment purposes.
Dumb
Dumb

Female Posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:16 am

Dumb wrote:For me, as a brown POC, it doesn't really make a difference if I there's a white lead or an Indigenous Australian one. Colour should not make a difference. For me, this stuff isn't real, all I'm here for is entertainment purposes.

Foremost, I simply want someone who is authentic and actually open to meeting a partner, rather than just garnering SM followers. Secondly, I do want a variety in the people they cast because I am tired of the same old, same old...beauty queens, country singers, models. For the same reason that I enjoy when they travel to different places on the show, I like to see people who have different life experiences. It helps keep the show fresh and interesting. Well, as interesting as can be under the constraints of the premise of the show. Better editing and not forcing stupid drama would help even more!

Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:29 am

Good discussions. yes

What is the timeframe as to when they announce the 'ette?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71428

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobette Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:28 pm

GuardianAngel wrote:Good discussions. yes

What is the timeframe as to when they announce the 'ette?

Not for ages.  Probably another 3-4 months.  Bette is usually announced just before filming starts in June, although Ali was "announced" via a one-line afterthought at the end of the BiP finale credits in April, which was very early (and weird).  

IMO TPTB will want to keep all their options open till the last minute, especially if there are any standout Lead candidates from the next Bach season which should start filming in March (and we don't even know who the male Lead is yet!).

Either way they will want to string Renee along as an option IMO. They won't want to be stuck with another dud Lead like Elly & Becky who none of the guys were attracted to IMO, and Abbie has ~ supposedly ~ ruled herself out, so...
Bobette
Bobette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 23 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Bachelorette Australia - Season 7 - Brooke Blurton - General Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

+18
Nothing
just me
Vjeff
Storybook
Agent99
Loulou
Enough
Bobette
bachfan101
AEF
Dumb