SELECT CONTENT

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Page 25 of 81 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 53 ... 81  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

blizzard2016 - What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 25 Empty Re: What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Post by Kashathediva Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:29 pm

At least it will hit us by the weekend(Saturday) with a foot or so its less traffic vs M-F.

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

blizzard2016 - What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 25 Empty Re: What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Post by GuardianAngel Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Love this idea. A big yes to my neighbours south of the border.

J.T. Messinger ‏@JTMessinger 46m46 minutes ago
"Warm It Forward" hanging winter clothes around Buffalo today, free to whomever may need them. @WGRZ
blizzard2016 - What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 25 CZa20cWXEAAy4Px

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71466

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:16 pm

All you folks that are in the middle of this, stay safe, stay home.

98.1 CHFI ‏@981CHFI 37m37 minutes ago
Broadway cancels all shows as NYC begins to shut down all city streets. #blizzard2016
blizzard2016 - What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 25 CZbb7t4WYAADtnp

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KB_Mom Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:27 pm

Both my kids have part time weekend jobs at restaurants. Started the day with messages "we're open for business." Told my kids there is no way you are risking your life to get to a restaurant that will be empty, you can always get another job . It's BAD here in northern NJ. Finally both restaurants threw in the towel and closed before my kids had to say basically I don't care if you're open, I'm not coming. I know there's always some who ignore the warnings and choose to drive for non emergency matters in a blizzard, but really what were they thinking - that droves of people are going to dig out their cars while it continues to snow very heavily, and drive the roads that are snow covered again five minutes after the plow comes through to GO OUT TO DINNER????????????no no

Sorry, rant over.

"Learning is a gift. Even when pain is your teacher." Maya Watson
KB_Mom
KB_Mom

Female Posts : 2514

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:39 pm

I'm with you on the rant. I just don't get it. Nothing is worth risking your life in those weather conditions. Not only that, it's a pain for the snow plows to go around parked - stalled - stuck - broken down vehicles.

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:56 pm

I am in NNJ, , KB. handwave
I have been healthcare all my life and a healthcare job is 24/7. You need to be at work regardless. Weather is not an excuse. If someone can't make it in--the shift that is there will stay over. I have spent many nights at my work as a sleepover.
My daughter is in healthcare and she is at work today, but thankfully she got a ride from someone else. 
My experience is when it is like this the police will pull you over and ticket you if they see you and if you are not in an emergency service situation you will be ticketed. I say this from personal experience. Once my spouse was pulled over on his way to picking me up after 28 hours at work. He was a block or two from my job. He told the officer the situation and was able to pick me up. 
I think right now we have about 18 inches and it is expected to continue like this until 1 am.

Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Back to top Go down

Post by KB_Mom Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:14 pm

handwave Kasha. Healthcare I understand -people still get sick, injured etc despite the weather and need medical care, but understand it sucks for the health care professionals who have to brave the weather conditions or get stuck doing exhausting long shifts. Many, many years ago I was a candy striper working in the emergency room and the hospital would provide transportation for the nurses (new shift coming in, old shift leaving) in bad weather, but I'm old enough that I guess that kind of accommodation for critically important health care professionals (who need sleep too!) is an historical relic. hmmm

"Learning is a gift. Even when pain is your teacher." Maya Watson
KB_Mom
KB_Mom

Female Posts : 2514

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:21 pm

If the facility has enough $ to spend on a transportation crew or like my daughter had-- a friendly co-worker who was driving by and picked her up for the ride in, it's great. 
Many health care facilities you drive at your own risk and I can say I have never worked at a place where it was ok to call in due to weather issues. 
I remember going into labor and trying to call in and being told: "you are going right upstairs to deliver why don't you just come in until you have to bounce up." my response was I was leaking too much to put on pants.  affraid

Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Back to top Go down

Post by Idlemess Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:23 pm

It's all about the snow here in New York City....

The truth is rarely pure and never simple ~ Oscar Wilde Praying:uptonogood
Idlemess
Idlemess

Female Posts : 3447

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:41 pm

What??? Something tells me we shouldn't fool around with mother nature. I heard something about this on the local radio the other day but didn't quite catch it all.

CNN ‏@CNN  8m8 minutes ago
Niagara Falls' American side might be shut down to fix a pair of 115-year-old bridges http://cnn.it/1PNNlad  

cnn.com

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:02 pm

I found this funny, because it's true!

Kowable.com

20 Actual Canadian Slang Words And What They Really Mean

In Canada we have enough to do keeping up with two spoken languages without trying to invent slang, so we just go right ahead and use English for literature, Scottish for sermons and American for conversation. - Stephen Leacock

Loonie: A common word for the Canadian one-dollar coin.

Double-double: A coffee with two creams and two sugars.

Homo Milk: Homogenized whole milk (3.25%)

Two-Four: A case of twenty-four beers.

Mickey: A flask-sized bottle of hard liquor.

Toque (pronounced "tuke"): A knit cap usually worn in winter. Known as a "ski cap" in the USA.

Klick: "Kilometer"

Washroom: The place where one would find the toilet, sink, and bathtub.

Pop: Sweet carbonated beverages. Known as "soda" in the states.

Rattled: When someone is shaken up by an incident, usually resulting in embarrassment or anger.

Chinook (pronounced "shin-uk): A warm, dry wind blowing down the Eastern slopes of the Rockies across Alberta and the Prairies. These winds can cause the temperature to rise by 20° Fahrenheit (11° Celsius) within 15 minutes.

Beaver Tail: A flat, flaky, fried pastry in the shape of a beaver's tail. Often served with a variety of toppings: ice-cream, maple syrup, powdered sugar, and fruit.

Canuck: A Canadian!

Hog Town or The Big Smoke: Toronto

Bunnyhug: A hooded pullover, also known as a 'hoodie.' Used mainly in Saskatchewan.

The Hammer: Hamilton, Ontario.

Whadda'yat?: Newfoundland term, meaning "What are you doing?"

Hammered: Very drunk.

Rink rat: someone who spends a lot of time on an ice rink.

Give'er: Go for it.

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:32 pm

This is how cold it was yesterday. We shattered the 130 some odd year old record for coldest day.

-26.9 degreesC or -16.42F.

speechless

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 81 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 53 ... 81  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

+84
vacayeveryday
mizzoufan
Katiebelle
gurlbrit
justcallmegranny