SELECT CONTENT

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Page 62 of 81 Previous  1 ... 32 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 71 ... 81  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Niagara - What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 62 Empty Re: What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Post by Norcalgal Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:55 am

The fires in Napa and Sonoma in Northern California are apocalyptical. These counties have a combined population of 600k and so there is like 1 degree of separation between you and someone whose home/business/school has been lost. It took 2 hours for the fire to move from Calistoga, in northern Napa county, to north Santa Rosa (Sonoma County), where so many homes were burned down. The fire traveled the length of a football field in 3 seconds!

The fires are still not contained and we are having weather alerts for the high northern winds to return tonight. Everyone is one edge. The normal rhythm of life has stopped. The Red Cross is begging for volunteers but it is hard to get to some places because of the road closures.

Two of the three hospitals in Santa Rosa had to evacuate patients  - some medical personnel even used their private vehicles to get patients to safety. The firefighters focused on saving these 2 hospitals at the expense of homes, businesses and other structures. Had Santa Rosa (where most of Sonoma County receives medical care) been down to 1 hospital it would have been a dire situation. The hospital in Napa could not reach its doctors and nurses to call them in for the influx of patients. Electricity and cell towers have been affected. It's actually easier to get the electricity working again than it is to replace the fiber optic cables for cell service.

I have renewed empathy for the Puerto Ricans who have had their medical care system turned upside down from Hurrican Irma. We take so much for granted - these catastrophes are a reminder to us to let go of stuff and focus on things that are truly important. Get organized so you can easily grab your important financial papers or put everything on a thumb drive to carry with you. Scan your tax returns to your computer (if you don't file digitally) so you can access your files from the cloud.

When I was in college, my dorm had a fire and the head resident 'lost it' and sent us all into the enclosed backyard, whose gate was locked. We were trapped, frightened but ultimately safe. I learned fire safety from that experience and put it to work a few years later when a grad student. The 4 plex apartment building I lived in was on fire and we had to evacuate from the top floor. I always have my purse, shoes, glasses and phone next to my bed so I am ready to go on a moment's notice.  On Monday morning, when we heard of the fires, I was dressed and ready for action in less than a minute. Fortunately, our property is safe but we could see the flames and smoke from the fires. Today the smoke was so heavy, it looked as if fog was enveloping us.
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5305

Back to top Go down

Niagara - What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 62 Empty Re: What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Post by Sprite Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:44 am

@Norcalgal Thank you for sharing. That is so scary, I just can't imagine. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Stay safe.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by AEF Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:58 am

Hey @Norcalgal thanks for letting us all know you are safe, sending lots of love to you and those around you, take care.

AEF

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:12 am

Stay safe. Check in and know we are thinking of you.

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by justcallmegranny Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 am

I am of the opinion that a safe deposit box is not just for valuables. They are awesome for things such as deeds, titles, birth certificates, passports, a copy of your SS card, Driver's license, living wills, wills, etc. It doesn't have to be a large scale fire like these to burn your home to the ground and leave you without such vitally important papers.

justcallmegranny

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:54 pm

@Norcalgal Thanks for the update. It's truly heartwrenching to see all the horrible disasters from coast to coast and around the world.

@justcallmegranny IA I have a small steel box, it isn't that large, but it holds all sorts of documents in case of fire. You can just grab it and go. I have photocopies in there, car insurance, birth certificates, etc.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71453

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Appreciate all the good wishes on behalf of everyone who lives in Wine Country. News is still bad and now 3 days in, we are hearing of many personal losses. We are safe. Taking so many unneeded items to Goodwill and Salvation Army as people are descending on them looking for basics.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5305

Back to top Go down

Post by Linds911 Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:47 am

@Norcalgal glad you are ok!!

There are fires down here too but not close by thankfully. Lots of homes have been destroyed it's heart-breaking to see when watching the news.

I know we can reach the stars, You've already hung the moon  PINKHEART

Niagara - What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 62 8367-910 Niagara - What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 62 I_got_13 Niagara - What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 62 E5kqdm15 Niagara - What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 62 Father11
Linds911
Linds911

Female Posts : 11969

Back to top Go down

Post by sdmom Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:24 am

@Norcalgal Glad to hear you are safe. Please take care.

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree"~ Martin Luther
sdmom
sdmom

Back to top Go down

Post by MiaHawk Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:25 pm

To @Norcalgal and all others in harm's way, please stay safe. You are in my thoughts and prayers. The scope of these fires is unbelievably scary!
MiaHawk
MiaHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunties_Love Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:11 am

justcallmegranny wrote:I am of the opinion that a safe deposit box is not just for valuables.  They are awesome for things such as deeds, titles, birth certificates, passports, a copy of your SS card, Driver's license, living wills, wills, etc.  It doesn't have to be a large scale fire like these to burn your home to the ground and leave you without such vitally important papers.
So true....I keep thinking back to a few months ago when two families in our family lost their homes and couldn't get anything out including all of the above and family pics.....it takes an ember landing on your roof(that is how one home was lost in Waterton Lakes area). Your whole life can be turned upside down in a blink of an eye.

Norcalgirl....so sorry for all that is going on around there. With our fires this summer, I have had enough of a taste of the disaster to last a lifetime. Again, all thoughts going that way!

Candace:  There is nothing better than an Auntie's Love!  blowkiss
Aunties_Love
Aunties_Love

Female Posts : 10789

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:14 am

Niagara - What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 62 3552228123

Funeral for Buffalo police diver Wednesday

Niagara - What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 62 1298000556822_ORIGINAL

The recent five-day search for a missing diver from the Buffalo Police Department was on an international body of water, but there are no borders when it comes to supporting authorities on the U.S. side of the Niagara River, says Fort Erie Fire Chief Ed Melanson.
This is also why there will be representation from the Fort Erie Fire Department on Tuesday at a visitation in Hamburg, N.Y. for Craig Lehner, the nine-year police veteran whose body was recovered on Oct. 17, following a search in the Niagara River involving 22 agencies from Canada and the U.S.
Lehner, 34, was participating in a training exercise with the Buffalo Police’s underwater recovery unit when he disappeared in the water.
Melanson said a group from the Fort Erie Fire Department will attend a visitation Tuesday as well as the funeral service planned for Wednesday at KeyBank Centre in downtown Buffalo.
He expects some men and women will make the short trip over the Peace Bridge for the large funeral service – but he also needs boots on the ground for the day as well.
“If we go, and I take all my daytime response, I’m not taking care of the town very well,” said Melanson on Monday afternoon.
The fire chief also said it’s good for the firefighters who were involved in the nearly week-long mission on the river to get some closure by paying respects to Lehner’s colleagues, friends and family at the visitation.
“It helps us put the incident behind us a bit,” said Melanson.
Unfortunately, water rescues are not an uncommon occurrence in Fort Erie, a community surrounded by water, he said.
Having a strong relationship with emergency services in the U.S. is vital for the town, says Melanson.
“One day we might need them and it’s important they know we’re there for them and I believe they’ll be there for us.”
Niagara Regional Police will also send representation to pay respects, confirmed spokesperson Stephanie Sabourin.
Visitation is taking place at Lakeside Funeral Home in Hamburg, N.Y on Monday and Tuesday from 3 to 8 p.m.
Wednesday’s funeral service is scheduled for 10 a.m.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71453

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 62 of 81 Previous  1 ... 32 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 71 ... 81  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

+84
vacayeveryday
mizzoufan
Katiebelle
gurlbrit
justcallmegranny