SELECT CONTENT

Juan Pablo Galavis - Nikki Ferrell - Bachelor 18 - Discussion

Page 55 of 57 Previous  1 ... 29 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Juan Pablo Galavis - Nikki Ferrell - Bachelor 18 - Discussion  - Page 55 Empty Re: Juan Pablo Galavis - Nikki Ferrell - Bachelor 18 - Discussion

Post by ReneeM Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:14 pm

I think for me, the core of this issue is 'do I think it's ok for anyone to shame someone based on their sex and sexuality and how they choose to express it?' And my answer is no. To me a person's sex life (especially a woman, who society tends to shame) is their own and the only requirement I have is that they're honest with the other consenting party about what it does or doesn't mean. Separate from that I feel as if it's no one else's business. And yes, as women we do know what is perceived as being sl**** but I'm also not going to let what people may or may not think about me decide how I live my life. Personally I tend to feel uncomfortable wearing revealing clothing. It's just not my style but if I wanted to wear something revealing I would, if I chose to put a revealing picture of MY body on MY Instagram page I would and if I personally was comfortable with it I wouldn't let how others thought about it dictate my life. But this is just a personal opinion.

The difference when he used the r word is that the word r***** is universally accepted as being slur that isn't acceptable anywhere (at least in North America) while the use of the word sl** and wh*** is not universally denounced and opinions tend to differ. I have an intense dislike for these words because I feel as if in society they are gender specific, like the n word is specifically insulting to race and the word f** and d*** are specific insults to one's sexuality.

This woman not only insulted JP but went out of her way to do so (it's a lot of trouble to search for his Instagram name, sift through his pictures and make a rude comment as opposed to ignoring him if she doesn't like him) so I have no problem with him responding, I don't even have a problem with insulting her back but he insulted her with a word where all the negative connotations generally fall on a woman.

ReneeM

Back to top Go down

Juan Pablo Galavis - Nikki Ferrell - Bachelor 18 - Discussion  - Page 55 Empty Re: Juan Pablo Galavis - Nikki Ferrell - Bachelor 18 - Discussion

Post by Mustang19 Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:43 pm

ReneeM wrote:I think for me, the core of this issue is 'do I think it's ok for anyone to shame someone based on their sex and sexuality and how they choose to express it?' And my answer is no. To me a person's sex life (especially a woman, who society tends to shame) is their own and the only requirement I have is that they're honest with the other consenting party about what it does or doesn't mean. Separate from that I feel as if it's no one else's business. And yes, as women we do know what is perceived as being sl**** but I'm also not going to let what people may or may not think about me decide how I live my life. Personally I tend to feel uncomfortable wearing revealing clothing. It's just not my style but if I wanted to wear something revealing I would, if I chose to put a revealing picture of MY body on MY Instagram page I would  and if I personally was comfortable with it I wouldn't let how others thought about it dictate my life. But this is just a personal opinion.

The difference when he used the r word is that the word r***** is universally accepted as being slur that isn't acceptable anywhere (at least in North America) while the use of the word sl** and wh*** is not universally denounced and opinions tend to differ.  I have an intense dislike for these words because I feel as if in society they are gender specific, like the n word is specifically insulting to race and the word f** and d*** are specific insults to one's sexuality.

This woman not only insulted JP but went out of her way to do so (it's a lot of trouble to search for his Instagram name, sift through his pictures and make a rude comment as opposed to ignoring him if she doesn't like him) so I have no problem with him responding, I don't even have a problem with insulting her back but he insulted her with a word where all the negative connotations generally fall on a woman.

Agreed. I believe there have been discussions on this board in the past similar to this with regards to name calling. I believe that's all this was between the two. They were trying to offend or insult one another and that's it. I have a very good friend who once in a blue moon will use the R word to describe something silly or stupid. I know that a lot of people find this word offensive. I personally don't use it, but I don't get up in arms when someone does and I have an autistic grandson in special needs. I feel that some things get blown out of proportion and too PC sometimes. I mostly look at the intent when using it. If someone is using it with hatred, to bully, or in anger, it has different meaning for me. To say something is retarded, to me that means it's stupid or silly. Have we not all called the person who cut us off in the car an A-hole? Have we not called people (especially from this show) idiots or morons? Should all the idiots and morons be offended? It boils down to name calling and I place more weight on the intent behind it. If they are trying to hurt the person they are calling out or bully them, then that's more of a problem for me. I see no difference in sl** or douchebag, they were both better off left unsaid. I certainly don't link him saying it in this instance with violence toward women. If she had not sought him out to insult him, she would not have received that response. She is equally to blame, and maybe more so for starting it.
Mustang19
Mustang19

Female Posts : 1192

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:49 pm

Yeah, me too^

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by whit90 Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:18 pm

Mustang19 wrote:
ReneeM wrote:I think for me, the core of this issue is 'do I think it's ok for anyone to shame someone based on their sex and sexuality and how they choose to express it?' And my answer is no. To me a person's sex life (especially a woman, who society tends to shame) is their own and the only requirement I have is that they're honest with the other consenting party about what it does or doesn't mean. Separate from that I feel as if it's no one else's business. And yes, as women we do know what is perceived as being sl**** but I'm also not going to let what people may or may not think about me decide how I live my life. Personally I tend to feel uncomfortable wearing revealing clothing. It's just not my style but if I wanted to wear something revealing I would, if I chose to put a revealing picture of MY body on MY Instagram page I would  and if I personally was comfortable with it I wouldn't let how others thought about it dictate my life. But this is just a personal opinion.

The difference when he used the r word is that the word r***** is universally accepted as being slur that isn't acceptable anywhere (at least in North America) while the use of the word sl** and wh*** is not universally denounced and opinions tend to differ.  I have an intense dislike for these words because I feel as if in society they are gender specific, like the n word is specifically insulting to race and the word f** and d*** are specific insults to one's sexuality.

Agreed. I believe there have been discussions on this board in the past similar to this with regards to name calling. I believe that's all this was between the two. They were trying to offend or insult one another and that's it. I have a very good friend who once in a blue moon will use the R word to describe something silly or stupid. I know that a lot of people find this word offensive. I personally don't use it, but I don't get up in arms when someone does and I have an autistic grandson in special needs. I feel that some things get blown out of proportion and too PC sometimes. I mostly look at the intent when using it. If someone is using it with hatred, to bully, or in anger, it has different meaning for me. To say something is retarded, to me that means it's stupid or silly. Have we not all called the person who cut us off in the car an A-hole? Have we not called people (especially from this show) idiots or morons? Should all the idiots and morons be offended? It boils down to name calling and I place more weight on the intent behind it. If they are trying to hurt the person they are calling out or bully them, then that's more of a problem for me. I see no difference in sl** or douchebag, they were both better off left unsaid. I certainly don't link him saying it in this instance with violence toward women. If she had not sought him out to insult him, she would not have received that response. She is equally to blame, and maybe more so for starting it.

Very well written post to the two of you and I agree with what you are both saying.
whit90
whit90

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:13 am

Mustang19 wrote:

Great, great posts. Thank you for adding your opinions in. clapping!
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Female Posts : 10802

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:20 am

luvlady345 wrote:I don't see how anyone watching CT can call Nikki a mean girl on this show, watching CT Jenna/Cicely were mean girls to me very catty and two-faced.....

Jenna to me is in need of real, real mental health help.  Cicely annoyed the crap out of me the whole way through.  Read the CT thread and you will see this.

I also saw Nikki speak to Deena as if she were very far above her and truthfully act like she was better than Cecily and Jenna too.  So yes, I saw Mean Girl Nikki.  Most disturbing was her miserable attitude towards her fans.  That showed me how ungrateful and mean she is.  She surely enjoys all the free perks that having us fans care about her has brought her, but then she has the nerve to complain about fans.  Sorry that combined with her treatment of Deena and finally her out and out inconsiderate behavior after Treach and Jenna talked about their childhoods (yes, it happened right afterwards as we saw from Jenna's very ugly suspenders).  So yes, Nikki was an unlikeable mean girl on CT in my opinion.  Also her happiness to tell JPG that it was okay for others to say bad things about him (Andi and Josh both) but to yell at JPG about letting others talk about Andi.  Hypocrite, and btw Nikki, I would expect you to take your boyfriend's side if you really did love him.  JMO.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Female Posts : 10802

Back to top Go down

Post by Amberish Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:04 pm

^^ Obviously Nikki views integrity as more important than taking her boyfriend's side only for the sake of taking her boyfriend's side.
Amberish
Amberish

Female Posts : 1472

Back to top Go down

Post by luvlady345 Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:38 pm

I hope that people do realize how highly edit these shows are.....

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”

― Bernard M. Baruch
luvlady345
luvlady345

Female Posts : 1822

Back to top Go down

Post by MiaHawk Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:51 pm

^^^This is an excellent post. I have read it and re-read it multiple times. You have said a great deal, and there is a lot to think about.

The line I bolded above is what you describe as the core of this issue (JPG calling that woman a sl*t on her SM account after she called him a d******* on his, and if is ever justifiable to call a woman a sl*t.)  See, I tend to agree with Mustang who said she doesn't think that JPG called her a sl*t to "shame" her, but rather it was an angry exchange of name calling.  She insulted him, so her returned the favor. But, the way you pose the question here is intriguing to me. So, I have tried to see things from this point of view.

I, personally, agree with you that a person's sexual life and sexual persuasion and sexual preferences is purely their own business and nobody else's (except for their consenting partner). I've always thought of a person's sex life as what takes place behind closed doors in privacy, but, maybe there is a different way to look at it. Maybe I need to look at it from a more modern approach---that SM is a pseudo-private, quasi-public forum in which a person may choose to conduct themselves in a sexually provocative manner as a sort of introductory step in their dating and mating ritual. I have a difficult time seeing it this way, however, because it's really not private or an intimate exchange between 2 adults, and that is how I define a person's sex life.

It's admirable and idealistic to think that she shouldn't alter her behavior based on public opinion.  That she should do as she pleases. I say that if it was behind closed doors, it's nobody's business, but once you walk out onto the street it does become somebody else's business.  Society has norms and standards. If a middle school teacher came to work dressed like Elvira Mistress of the Dark, she would be sent home to change. If a girl goes to our HS prom and doesn't pass the dress code for appropriate dress, she would be sent home. There are dress codes in society, because when you interact with other people you have an effect on them and their relationship to you.  So, once a person chooses to put herself out there in the public domain (including SM) they are opening themselves up to be judged. Appropriate versus inappropriate. Conservative versus Wild.

She doesn't have to change her behavior on SM if she doesn't want to, but that doesn't change the fact that there will be people who will judge her for it. Just look at how employers search the internet looking at prospective employee's SM accounts as a means to assess their character. It is real, and to pretend it doesn't exist won't help you in the long run.  I guess if she is a lingerie model, she doesn't care if future employers see her body. It's her choice to do it, and she has. But it's not a private portfolio that is viewed only by the modeling professionals. She has put it out there. And if you are JPG and you've just been called a D******* by her, and you're looking for an insult to sling back at her, she gave him the perfect set up for what word he could use.

I agree that N***** is a racial slur, that F** and D**** are homophobic slurs. But, race and sexual orientation are things that you are born with, you don't choose them.  Sl*tty behavior is a conscious choice. Nobody is born a sl*t. That is where I see the difference and where I initially did not agree with the comparisons made.  The idea that sl*t is a female slur that does not have a male equivalency....that makes me take pause...because I really haven't been able to come up with any word other than "player".  And that word is pretty diluted.  

So, if I'm to believe that Sl*t is a gender driven bias, then I have to believe that it is driven by a man's desire to demean a woman for her sex life and sexual expression. So, is that one person making a judgment about another person's public behavior? Or is that one person (of a majority group or a group of perceived power) exerting some sort of intimidation tactic on another person who is perceived to be subservient or inferior to them? Historically, whites in the majority exerted power over blacks in the minority because of a perceived superiority of one race over another and because they had the societal power to do so. Heterosexuals in the majority may have perceived homosexuals as deviating from the long established social norms, and they used slurs to shame them for their differences.  Perhaps a sl*t slur is a man's attempt to exert his moral superiority or power over a woman who deviates from the societal norm of what level of (private/public) sexuality is currently the norm?

If I am to believe this then I think it would need to be a word that men use (those in the power position), but women do not.  And women do use that word as an insult towards other women. So....  But, no, that's not clear either, because we know that blacks frequently use the N-word as a casual term among themselves and it is not perceived as an insult when they say it to each other. But if a white person said it to a black person it would be considered a slur.  Although there are many blacks who equally dislike the use of the word. So.....

So, after all of this thinking aloud I'm still not sure if I view the word sl*t as a shaming tool against women. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. I guess the only thing I know for sure is that it is very complicated and we all see things differently.

Last edited by MiaHawk on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
MiaHawk
MiaHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by bluwavz Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:17 pm

I have a question for the posters here who believe that women can dress like sluts: Do you think there's such a thing as a woman dressing like a prude? If a woman keeps her whole body covered, should she be surprised or upset if people assume she's a prude, a virgin or asexual? Serious question. No sarcasm. If a woman can dress like a sl**, then surely she can dress like the opposite of that?

Also is there such a thing as a man dressing like a sl**? If so, what would that look like?
bluwavz
bluwavz
Access

Female Posts : 19236

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Also is there such a thing as a man dressing like a sl**? If so, what would that look like?

Definitely would look like RS---that lil man-ho! :girlfan

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by ReneeM Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:59 pm

MiaHawk wrote:

^^^This is an excellent post. I have read it and re-read it multiple times. You have said a great deal, and there is a lot to think about.

The line I bolded above is what you describe as the core of this issue (JPG calling that woman a sl*t on her SM account after she called him a d******* on his, and if is ever justifiable to call a woman a sl*t.)  See, I tend to agree with Mustang who said she doesn't think that JPG called her a sl*t to "shame" her, but rather it was an angry exchange of name calling.  She insulted him, so her returned the favor. But, the way you pose the question here is intriguing to me. So, I have tried to see things from this point of view.

I, personally, agree with you that a person's sexual life and sexual persuasion and sexual preferences is purely their own business and nobody else's (except for their consenting partner). I've always thought of a person's sex life as what takes place behind closed doors in privacy, but, maybe there is a different way to look at it. Maybe I need to look at it from a more modern approach---that SM is a pseudo-private, quasi-public forum in which a person may choose to conduct themselves in a sexually provocative manner as a sort of introductory step in their dating and mating ritual. I have a difficult time seeing it this way, however, because it's really not private or an intimate exchange between 2 adults, and that is how I define a person's sex life.

It's admirable and idealistic to think that she shouldn't alter her behavior based on public opinion.  That she should do as she pleases. I say that if it was behind closed doors, it's nobody's business, but once you walk out onto the street it does become somebody else's business.  Society has norms and standards. If a middle school teacher came to work dressed like Elvira Mistress of the Dark, she would be sent home to change. If a girl goes to our HS prom and doesn't pass the dress code for appropriate dress, she would be sent home. There are dress codes in society, because when you interact with other people you have an effect on them and their relationship to you.  So, once a person chooses to put herself out there in the public domain (I that includes SM) they are opening themselves up to be judged. Appropriate versus inappropriate. Conservative versus Wild.

She doesn't have to change her behavior on SM if she doesn't want to, but that doesn't change the fact that there will be people who will judge her for it. Just look at how employers scowl the internet looking at prospective employee's SM accounts as a means to assess their character. It is real, and to pretend it doesn't exist won't help you in the long run.  I guess if she is a lingerie model, she doesn't care if future employers see her body. It's her choice to do it, and she has. But it's not a private portfolio that is viewed only by the modeling professionals. She has put it out there. And if you are JPG and you've just been called a D******* by her, and you're looking for an insult to sling back at her, she gave him the perfect set up for what word he could use.

I agree that N***** is a racial slur, that F** and D**** are homophobic slurs. But, race and sexual orientation are things that you are born with, you don't choose them.  Sl*tty behavior is a conscious choice. Nobody is born a sl*t. That is where I see the difference and where I initially did not agree with the comparisons made.  The idea that sl*t is a female slur that does not have a male equivalency....that makes me take pause...because I really haven't been able to come up with any word other than "player".  And that word is pretty diluted.  

So, if I'm to believe that Sl*t is a gender driven bias, then I have to believe that it is driven by a man's desire to demean a woman for her sex life and sexual expression. So, is that one person making a judgment about another person's public behavior? Or is that one person (of a majority group or a group of perceived power) exerting some sort of intimidation tactic on another person who is perceived to be subservient or inferior to them? Historically, whites in the majority exerted power over blacks in the minority because of a perceived superiority of one race over another and because they had the societal power to do so. Heterosexuals in the majority may have perceived homosexuals as deviating from the long established social norms, and they used slurs to shame them for their differences.  Perhaps a sl*t slur is a man's attempt to exert his moral superiority or power over a woman who deviates from the societal norm of what level of (private/public) sexuality is currently the norm?

If I am to believe this then I think it would need to be a word that men use (those in the power position), but women do not.  And women do use that word as an insult towards other women. So....  But, no, that's not clear either, because we know that blacks frequently use the N-word as a casual term among themselves and it is not perceived as an insult when they say it to each other. But if a white person said it to a black person it would be considered a slur.  Although there are many blacks who equally dislike the use of the word. So.....

So, after all of this thinking aloud I'm still not sure if I view the word sl*t as a shaming tool against women. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. I guess the only thing I know for sure is that it is very complicated and we all see things differently.              

The bold was really just a disclaimer that the post was just what the issue with his post was for me personally. It's very idealistic. I'm only 18, but 'be the change you want to see' and all that. I don't believe in shaming people for their sex life so I don't use words or like the use of words that were invented for that purpose.

People can have their opinions of the clothing a woman wears or how much a woman chooses to reveal herself on social media and it's ok to not like it but it's another to demean it by saying 'it's sl****'.

I don't think JP thought about all this. I think this woman insulted him and he simply wanted to insult her in return. To me it's a trap that a lot of people including women fall into by using certain words so casually without thinking about what they REALLY mean, and as a man raising a daughter in today's society it's something I hope he'll be more conscious of in the future.

ReneeM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 55 of 57 Previous  1 ... 29 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Juan Pablo Galavis - Nikki Ferrell - Bachelor 18 - Discussion

+59
Acrunch
chinita
nikikass
eirekay
Rolly