SELECT CONTENT

General Chit Chat - #2

Page 11 of 31 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1 - General Chit Chat - #2 - Page 11 Empty Re: General Chit Chat - #2

Post by lettore Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:21 am

I live in Europe also, but I follow different european and us media outlets (I can understand english, italian, spanish and limited russian) and what I can see that restrictions are the most relaxed in US and UK. This is only following different media and social networks and with no regards to politics.

Restrictions here are maybe too severe, but since many people didn´t follow them in the beginning, probably they were necessary. We are in complete lockdown, borders are closed, public transport is shut down (except for goods and essential workers). But on the other hand, they are trying to make things more availabale at home, school classes are held through TV and online platforms, theatres perform plays online, cable tv operators unlocked most channels and video club for all users, mobile operators increased data gb available to all users, banks have implemented a 3 month moratorium for all loans and mortgages, and many other things... Also taxi is free for medical personnel.

Chinese experts that are visiting and helping here had only two more recommendations: that we have to implement more agressive testing, the more testing the better and that even people with very mild symptoms who are tested positive should be hospitalized, but not in real hospitals where severe cases are, but somewhere improvised where can be quick flow of people getting in and out and with nurses helping them.

That is just a little input from other side of the world, as I read yours as well. Wishing everyone the best.

Last edited by lettore on Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

lettore

Back to top Go down

Post by HavaDrPepper Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:43 am

Astrobach wrote:@HavaDrPepper Man ! I’d say! Looks to me like your State was WAY ahead of the White House and the CDC!!!
Good for you ! Thanks for the - very Libra-laugh out loud  great and exhaustive timeline !

Yeah, that's why a certain governor in a southern state gets me riled up. And, from what I hear from a friend in Hawaii, their governor is being very lax about things as well. She is incensed about it. Some friends in the state of Washington are not happy either, especially one that lives in "ground zero" aka the area where the first case was. What was done in that state in the early days was done by the local governments, not the state.

The one thing about this whole situation is that some people that have been very vocal about their dislike for each other are working together and actually praising the other person and things are getting done to help individuals like us in those states.

HavaDrPepper

Back to top Go down

Post by veg_out Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 am

This video does a good job, imo, of explaining the day-to-day of an infection from mild to severe cases based on known info to date:

Some highlights:
1. Symptoms begin 2-14 days after exposure.
2. The first symptom of 88% of infections is fever according to WHO-China Joint Commission reports.
3. Between day 1-day 5, symptoms include dry cough, phlegm production, and shortness of breath.
4. Mild cases usually recover by day 7 or after a week of acute symptoms. Worsening cases, however, present to the hospital usually on day 7 when breathing becomes labored.
5. Critical cases require medical intervention because the virus attacks the lung tissue inhibiting function.
The video's stats and information are derived from a variety of sources, including ones from China's epidemic and its joint commission with the WHO. (See 5:16-5:19 for references).

Hope this helps. Stay well PINKHEART
veg_out
veg_out

Back to top Go down

Post by HavaDrPepper Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:15 pm

That is what I had heard a doctor say about the disease a couple weeks ago. And, this is why it affects those with pre-existing damage to their lungs. They don't have the ability to fight off the disease. Those people are also the ones that will get the pneumonia and more than likely die from it.

Thanks for sharing it in video form. It really hits home about what the disease is.

A friend posted this link on FB.

https://covidactnow.org/

Maps to illustrate what could happen in each state. Not a predictor of what will happen just the most likely scenario.

HavaDrPepper

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrobach Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:59 pm

Here is a link to a very interesting and visually helpful article. This link is in FRENCH, BUT you can click at the top to read it in English and many other languages.
It shows the difference in outcome with the different levels of action taken. Even if not perfect it provides a good model for the appropriate action.
Enjoy and stay safe!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/corona-simulator-french/
Astrobach
Astrobach

Back to top Go down

Post by leavers Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:41 pm

I really hate having read how asymptomatic cases as well as treated symptomatic cases often involve loss of sense of smell... I frequently get that when I get a sinus infection, which I get several times a year (I need new sinuses). Usually they're mild, but every now and then I get one that gives me a powerfully awful migraine that leaves me unable to get up and usually vomiting until it clears... I had a mild sore throat last week, a mildly blocked nose and this week I have loss of sense of smell, but these are completely normal symptoms for me and my dumb sinuses. I wouldn't even think of corona for my symptoms if I hadn't read about the loss of sense of smell/taste!

https://time.com/5809037/coronavirus-sense-of-smell-taste/

~Say it one more time~
leavers
leavers

Female Posts : 1339

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:59 pm

@leavers I too have read that the other day in an article, not sure which one I've read so many. Since then I've read quotes from actually people saying the same thing about loosing sense of smell and taste. One IIRC had very mild symptoms, and that was one of them.

Thanks for the graphs and visuals everyone!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71450

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:26 pm

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/The-man-behind-the-sequencing-of-coronavirus-15148437.php

This scientist has sequenced the genome of the virus in infected people in the US. He has traced the strain back to the original case in Washington. Very interesting article. The COVID virus seems to mutate only twice a month, unlike the flu which mutates up to 11 times a month. This is why it is difficult to get a vaccine for the flu - too many mutations.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5304

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:51 pm

I couldn't read that article due to subscription requirements but found another similar one. Some of it is way over my head, but very interesting!

https://bedford.io/blog/ncov-cryptic-transmission/

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71450

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:02 pm

@GuardianAngel Thanks GA - I am going to read this article when I have enough time to focus on it. I've been busy working outside and just popped in here for a quick visit.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5304

Back to top Go down

Post by HavaDrPepper Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:20 pm

@Norcalgal

You were interested in the number of tests in Ohio. They released the number today.  It has taken awhile to pull it together because of the tests being run in multiple locations and not always getting reported.  They now have a system in place about what and when things are being reported.

As of 3/25/20 in Ohio (range of onset 2/7/20 - 3/25/20):
Confirmed Cases: 704 (increase of 140 from 3/24/20)
Deaths: 10
Counties out of 88: 55 (mine has zero but the county west of me now has a case as does the county east of me)
Number of males: 371 (53%)
Number of females: 333 (47%)
Age range: less than 1 to 94, median of 51
Number of hospitalizations: 182
Number of ICU admisions: 75
Long-term care residents: 24
Number of healthcare workers: 116
Number of tests run thru 3/25/20: 14,764

The state health department is going to start sharing more information in charts on their website. Interactive for some of them. I'm actually excited about that.

HavaDrPepper

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrobach Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:34 pm

@HavaDrPepper Thanks for that info. Just out of curiosity, what is the population of the state of Ohio right now? Trying to get a sense of scale / percentage.
TYIA
Astrobach
Astrobach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 31 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

General Chit Chat - #2

+24