SELECT CONTENT

VO & PI's - Discussion - Bachelorette 8

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VO & PI's - Discussion - Bachelorette 8 Empty VO & PI's - Discussion - Bachelorette 8

Post by HowSoonIsNow Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:50 am

tootyboots wrote:
shannonmac wrote:
HowSoonIsNow wrote:

Wow, JBF, from all of your movie talk (Ghost, Titanic, Sleepless, etc), I just had an epiphany about what movie this season of Bachette might really be based on. And given MFleiss's age (just looked it up online, he's born in '64), this movie might well be part of his oeuvre of film-knowledge. In the late 70s was a Brazilian blockbuster called "Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands" - it starred Sonia Braga and was considered the movie that introduced her to US/Europe, since the movie was a big art-house hit here. Then in the early 80s, Hollywood put out its remake of this movie, called "Kiss Me Goodbye", starring Sally Fields, James Caan, and a young Jeff Bridges. (Haha, just the title of the movie lets you know where I'm going with this!) I was a big fan of this movie, even renting it on brand new VHS technology (woo hoo!) the minute it got released to the brand-new Blockbuster store down the street. It was a sleeper word-of-mouth hit, pre-dates Ghost by ~10 years, but is more an emotional melancholic romantic comedy, rather than the somber funeral dirge that Ghost was.

The similarities between this movie and this season could not be more pronounced. Since I can't remember the character names, I'll use the actors' names in this comparison. The plot goes like this: before the movie begins, Sally was married to James, a famous, charismatic-with-an-edge, people-person, well-liked broadway producer/director/whatever, she was crazy about him and idealized/worshipped him and their marriage, but unfortunately he accidentally died by falling down the stairs of their home while they are entertaining guests. The movie begins 3-5 years after his death, and Sally is close to marrying Jeff (with 2 Fs), an introverted, introspective scholarly type (maybe a professor?), calm & well-liked but very unassuming and understated (perhaps underestimated? LOL). He adores Sally and is very supportive of her through her grief, but somehow Sally is getting cold feet and remembering how exciting James was. All of a sudden, James returns to her as the Ghost of James. This ghost charms her, she falls for him, and they essentially embark on an emotional love affair (unlike in the movie Ghost, they never have physical contact, let alone consummate the affair). She's very happy in this delusional romantic state, even the little arguments they get into don't bother her, as they communicate well through them (sound like Arie-Em?). But she's worried that TIME's running out - how long can she have ghost James in her life? and her wedding is around the corner! But Sally's friends are worried if she'll ever free herself from the grasp of the idealized ghost. So one of Sally's friends steps forward (Cassie L, anyone?) to tell her that she had once had a brief affair with James at the start of Sally-James marriage. This, along with Sally's mom reminding her of how difficult James could be, only thinking about himself (ala Kalon baggage comment) - maybe Em's mom will talk next week about warning flags she's sensing from Arie? Remains to be seen. Well, this all gets Sally to realize that James was, after all, just a mere mortal, and everything with them wasn't perfect. Thus, as she let's the pedestal crumble, she's able to let the ghost go as well. When Sally confronts James, he says he had come to heal her, help her get past him, and now that she's ready, he says "kiss me goodbye", and the ghost James walks away from Sally's life forever. The last remnant of grasp on Emily's psyche is gone, freeing her to move on into her future with Jeff.

This season of The Bachelorette, the remake of Kiss Me Goodbye, starring:
Emily as Sally Fields
RickY as pre-death James Caan
Arie as the Ghost of James Caan
1F-Jef as 2F-Jeff Bridges

Other plot points of interest: the movie starts with Sally & Jeff moving into the home that Sally & James had shared (Em lives in a Hendricks home, and this season of Bachelorette starts with her at this home instead of the mansion in LA they usually use). I think there was a kid in the picture, a son ~11 years old, but don't quote me on that.

Anyways, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it! ;)

Holy Cow- You are definitely on to something!! This is exactly the story playing out in front of us. giggling giggling giggling

Very interesting comparison. Emily's story seems to be following this so closely.

Holy Cow is right! And I just realized something from what I just wrote above... in "Ghost", Whoopie Goldberg allows Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze a night of physical passion. In "Kiss Me Goodbye", the ghost of James Caan is never physically realized, so no night of passion, no consummation of the affair. And Fleiss follows in lockstep with the latter movie - NO FANTASY SUITE INVITATION FOR YOU, ARIE! Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

I tried to find Kiss Me Goodbye on YT, but all I found was this fan-vid with some awesome Gypsy Kings music set as the background (saw GK in concert about 5 yrs ago - love them!). [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The video reminded me of another major "coincidence" between this movie and this season. According to JBF and some others posters here, this season has borrowed a theme from another movie, "Hitch", in which Will Smith coaches other men on how to woo women or handle relationships with them (I never saw Hitch, so I'm just going by the wiki on this). In a way, this is similar to Cyrano de Bergerac. Anyways, in "Kiss Me Goodbye", Sally can see and hear the James ghost, no one else can see or hear James, but everyone sees Sally interacting with the ghost, so they either believe the ghost is there, or they pretend to believe it just to humor Sally (hoping it's just a part of her mourning process - the Denial stage in the 5 Stages of Grief). 2-F Jeff is awkward in romance, likes to discuss matters of the heart intellectually (like our 1F) but is not exactly romeo otherwise. So James coaches 2FJeff via Sally! For example, James tells Sally to tell Jeff to kiss her, or James tells Sally to say to Jeff things like "this would be a good time to do [fill in romantic gesture here]". So Sally tells Jeff those things, right in front of James, and Jeff either does them right there or soon thereafter. And each time Jeff earns brownie points from Sally, James gives him a wink and a smile, which Jeff does not see, but Sally and us the viewing audience do (just like Arie gives 1FJef a wink/smile everytime 1F gets a rose - Emily and we the viewing audience see this, not sure if Jef does).

Finally, one more interesting plot point that this fanvid reminded me of. At the end of the movie, after James has already said goodbye & disappeared, Sally & Jeff are going through last-minute wedding preps, and the house is buzzing with relatives and activities. Suddenly, Jeff falls down that same flight of stairs (the ones that James died on) and is rendered unconscious. Sally fears the worst, "oh no, just like James!". And we the audience fear the worst as well, that Jeff is dead. Then after a pregnant pause, Jeff wakes up, gets up, with a pep in his step, smiles at everyone as if nothing just happened, and all is well. Sally looks up to the top of the stairs, and wouldn't you know it - there's James, smiling down at her with a wink. Sally grins back knowingly, shakes her head. Fade to black. The implication is that perhaps James saved Jeff's life, or even brought him back to life after a second or two of being dead (he is supernatural, after all) for Sally's sake.

So - does this correlate to our season at all? Did Arie do anything purposefully to help Jef get to F1, either during the season or at the Finale, or even at the ATFR? Remains to be seen, or perhaps we'll never know.

One possibility - this is just an educated guess. As much as we like both Jef & Sean, it's a foregone conclusion that a Jef-Sean finale would be an utter snoozefest that no one would watch (save for their respective fans), with a huge drop-off in ratings. If you watch American Idol, you know that the Season 10 finals of 2 country-singing teens (scotty & lauren) was watched by NO ONE except the fans of those 2 kids - the ratings dipped drastically from top-3 night to finals night, and then rose again for the finale night (when the announce the AI winner). Fleiss doesn't want that to happen to his show. So when Emily says "no soup/rose for you" to Arie at F3, Fleiss realizes his dilemma and asks Arie back to take the F2 slot and sends Sean packing. So, maybe it's not Jef himself that Arie saves but Jef's Finale. Jef's Finale was dead-in-the-water, but Arie revives it just by showing up - supernatural!

Fleiss is happy - his ratings are saved. Jef & Emily are happy - many more will watch their finale, the "culmination" of their "journey", and just like Sally & Jeff, the bachelorette equivalent of "wedding preps" are saved. Jef has a pep in his step, as if nothing happened; Arie grins down on Fleiss and Emily; Emily smiles back at Arie, shakes her head knowingly. Fade to black.

P.S. I've never tweeted a celebrity before. I'm tempted to tweet Fleiss to ask him if he full-bore plagiarized this film. If he did, at least he learned his lesson from last season - if you're gonna plagiarize, don't rip from a recent popular film like Sex & the City! You gotta dig back further into film-dom if you wanna get away with this LOL.
HowSoonIsNow
HowSoonIsNow

Back to top Go down

VO & PI's - Discussion - Bachelorette 8 Empty Re: VO & PI's - Discussion - Bachelorette 8

Post by Love_Me Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:29 am

Previous Thread:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Love_Me
Love_Me

Female Posts : 32393

Back to top Go down

VO & PI's - Discussion - Bachelorette 8 Empty Re: VO & PI's - Discussion - Bachelorette 8

Post by Minney Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:33 am

I want to say THANK YOU to all of the members who take their time to type out these long and thoughtful analysis of the VO/PI's. I have a hard enough time while watching to remember to SEE what is actually going on (did Em actually say that to a camera about THAT guy?) :Smiley: I just get sucked in and forget to pay attention...

So, in reading all of this, during Em/Arie FD, we never actually saw Emily say directly "I don't trust myself" statement in regards to Arie?
Minney
Minney

Back to top Go down

Post by Bananaloaf Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:01 am

Minney wrote:I want to say THANK YOU to all of the members who take their time to type out these long and thoughtful analysis of the VO/PI's. I have a hard enough time while watching to remember to SEE what is actually going on (did Em actually say that to a camera about THAT guy?) :Smiley: I just get sucked in and forget to pay attention...

So, in reading all of this, during Em/Arie FD, we never actually saw Emily say directly "I don't trust myself" statement in regards to Arie?

You are correct. We never saw her saw this whole line "At the end of the day, I don’t trust myself, I wouldn’t let myself go there but"
Bananaloaf
Bananaloaf

Female Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:10 am

thank you HowSoonIsNow for opening this interesting discussion.

We explored the fairy tales such Cinderella, the hare and the turtle, the sleeping beauty, Pinocchio... but we did not make a parallelism with some movies. I am sure we can find many movies with the menage a trois theme Smiley

The thing is that we do not know what kind of relationship emily had with Ricky. Ricky was older than her and she was still a teen/young girl when she fell for this man completely. The kind of love that is ideal. The first love.

So yes, it makes sense that emily compared each man for a long long time to Ricky until Brad. Brad was was her rebellious side to move on, to stop living in the past. Brad was the present. She wanted at that time to leave charlotte, brand new life in Texas. Memories would stay in Charlotte with her grieving. I am not totally convinced she was totally ready for Brad. She wanted to be ready but she was more eager to have a family and move on.

This season, I saw this season is a more secure emily. Someone who learned (yes stereotype completely) and know exactly what she wants for her and for ricki. In brad's equation it was her and brad and ricki came along the way. Not saying that brad would not care for her daughter but brad was not ready to take the dad suit. It would always be her and brad and her and ricki... pretty much the way I picture emily and arie in fact.

First love are always idealized but with time and maturity, we understand that it was a bubble not the real thing, totally real at the time and I am sure they were madly in love with each other (although I remember a gossip about another woman during their love story). It will always remain tender and sweet in her heart and ricki will be the proof of their love but now she is no longer a young woman, she is a woman.

I enjoyed the movie theory. it could be very true that the attraction/lust/emotional/best friend was the same with arie and ricky. I can picture that taking her young age when she met ricky and I see arie still not mature (bachelor life, party with friends after work, late evening/late wake up, etc). I know arie fan (again) will jump the curtains to defend their god but I think arie a very nice endearing young guy that his age does not match his life/action. He acts and live as a 20ish young man. no responsibilities. It does not mean he does not want them. It does not mean he does not dream them. He just has no clue how to do it. Arie makes me think of a man who was lucky to get everything he wanted at his finger tips: be a race driver as his dad (which totally helped him versus any regular guy who has no connection), women ready at all time (handsome and groupies in the circuit so never lacking), money to not worry... Again, it does not mean he is not a good guy. He is just a guy who is 30 and realizing that it is no longer enough to have the life he is living or starting to understand it. Is he surrendered with only young adults of 20ish or married men with kids and he feel stuck in the middle? Probably. I have been in this position when I was 30: clubbing with 20-255ish friends and my other friends already married with kids. very unsatisfactory.

Sorry. did not want to talk about arie too much. I just want to say that I like the guy and as CH said early on in the show to emily: I (you) like this kid! and that resume arie. He is not a man... yet. But give him a couple of years and the right person around him and he will become an extraordinary man. Right now, he is still in the shadow of his dad. Maybe him being a sport reporter (we saw him a couple of time since the show ended) will open new doors. I wish him the best and find the right woman who will complement him. I find arie a bit unfinished. And if we need to compare with a movie actor I would say sean connery.... he was gorgeous at 30 but all the woman are drooling even more when he was 40-50.

Sean. they edited him poorly. he was edited as a boring guy who has commitment issues and is not really affectionate and fun. Will he be the next bachelor? He reminds me ashley hebert in a way that she was heartbroken but composed.... CH is portraying him as a heartbroken guy at the MTA.... we all know that we saw sean not that heartbroken with girls in a bar.... methinks that the producers want him as back up if roberto refuse and depending how popular will be arie's exit and how teary the fan will root for one or the other.

Jef brings all her dreams come true on every level: emotional, physical and soul. I believe she found her soul mate. Faith, charities, family, same goals... and the little butterflies that no matter how much you want them to show up, they just have their own mind to decide with who and when. It looks like it was with jef.

My last thought is about the famous scripting. All contestants of this show are not actors. It is for most of them a first time experience. Since we know that the producers have a storyline, why people are you all surprised to hear quotes and such? They have a show to tape. They have drama to incorporate. OF COURSE all of them have direction and help to express themselves in front of the cameras. Sometimes we have glimpses of honest interaction.

PI... they take hours to show us a 2 minutes edited version. They have to repeat ad nauseam the same things and they pick the same sentence said with exactly the ton of voice they want to use. They pick the right expression who goes with it.

Now lets remember how many actors fell for their fellow actors in the same set they were taping the same movies..... how many times did we read this happened? many times, one famous is Angelina and Brad Pitt but many others.

Something that some days make me smile and other days make me cringe are the necessity that each fan need to be convinced that the show is scripted and edited.

"Reality television frequently portrays a modified (...) day-to-day life, at times utilizing sensationalism to attract audience viewers and increase advertising revenue. Participants are often placed in exotic locations or abnormal situations, and are often persuaded to act in specific scripted ways by off-screen "story editors" or "segment television producers" with the portrayal of events and speech manipulated and contrived to create an illusion of reality through direction and post-production editing techniques." ~ Wikipedia

but to make things clear (again), even if 95% is scripted, I enjoy my 5% which are not and I am a happy camper (thanks to love_me to spoil me and gave me direction to focus on jef) because I saw a love story and that is all I am asking from this tv reality show: to entertain me for a couple of weeks. Everything else is moot.

This show really brings me all kind of emotions here giggling duh :headbanging rofl :crazed Upset cheeky :eyesigh: Suspect no no yes no hissyfit :thud but overall Hugesmile

ok. my thoughts of the day.

"Reality television frequently portrays a modified (...) day-to-day life, at times utilizing sensationalism to attract audience viewers and increase advertising revenue. Participants are often placed in exotic locations or abnormal situations, and are often persuaded to act in specific scripted ways by off-screen "story editors" or "segment television producers" with the portrayal of events and speech manipulated and contrived to create an illusion of reality through direction and post-production editing techniques." ~ Wikipedia

Shelby

Female Posts : 3826

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:54 am

I mostly lurke but I have to say I always enjoy reading your posts Shelby.

clueless

Female Posts : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by JBF Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:02 pm

All of these lengthy posts belong on the editing thread instead, but you know how I can't resist either...

Oh good golly, HowSoonIsNow! I remember that silly Brazilian film too. Wasn't her deceased lover buck naked a lot... as if that was the way she remembered him best? I can't remember the details since I watched it on PBS... oof!... back in the eighties. Didn't it spawn a sequel itself?

Do any of you remember another movie made just before or around the same time as GHOST, called TRULY, MADLY, DEEPLY? Actually I favored that British import over GHOST, which got too fire-and-brimstone-ish with little dark "meanies" coming to retrieve the two bad boys after their deaths. No doubt that added to the film's box office appeal, since many like to see the sinners suffer in agony. TRULY, MADLY, DEEPLY was a light-hearted comedy which echoes a much older 1944 Technicolor fantasy BLITHE SPIRIT with Rex Harrison in a reversal of genders. (Heck, there are soooooo many of these "phantom romances" over the decades and I'm sure Mike Fleiss has watched every one frame-by-frame). In both films, the deceased becomes this HUGE annoyance to the living partner and anybody they were dating.

I have the feeling Fleiss had plans to bring up Ashley's ex Joe, who broke up with her a while before his passing, but changed his plans... and for good reason, because these subject matters are often way too personal for national TV. Yet we had all of these death stories her season: William and Ben (and also Ames although it was just fleetingy mentioned) losing their fathers, West losing his wife and even Ashley discussing Mickey's mother with him on their date. Then, apparently somebody in Ashley's past (maybe Joe or maybe somebody else) left her abruptly with some sort of "dot dot dot", so that brought us you-know-who into the storyline. How many of us, seriously, though she was THAT gaga over Bentley?

I REALLY don't think either Ashley or Emily were stewing THAT much about these losses in their lives, but Fleiss must still feel they had "obstacles" to overcome and, depending on his mood, would incorporate a bit of this backstory into the storyline. I think with Ashley, they just stuck more to her fear of guys leaving her rather than any death storyline... although we did have all of those guys discussing death and William's watch (stopped at the time of his father's death) paralleling Jef's comments in the last episode and also Jef being the only guy wearing a watch. With Emily, they already had the NASCAR date on Brad's and simply incorporated Arie the Indy racer as a substitute to see what developed. In the end, we have not heard Rick-Y mentioned hardly at all, but I, for one, FEEL him in every episode from the way he is often INDIRECTLY referenced.

Regarding Sean: in one respect, he is the Tim Tebow Fleiss thought might make a potential Bachelor. Also, being religious, he might have been a good one for Emily to discuss personal issues with even when cameras aren't rolling. In Prague, I will guess that they had some pretty long talks that evening much as Ashley did with Ryan Park in Fiji, despite it all being edited on screen as a quickie rejection after a six day wait. Maybe Sean thought he and Emily were more than great friends; he at least saw her as a potential wife at some point before his rejection. However, some of his body language does hint that he was "onto" Jef potentially being the one, since he wasn't exactly crying up a storm like Chris did the week before. In any case, I always sensed on screen that a lot of what they discussed had little to do with a post-show relationship and more about other stuff. Every season, there is at least one contestant the lead feels close to, but may not see as a future "husband".
JBF
JBF

Back to top Go down

Post by shannonmac Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Shelby wrote:thank you HowSoonIsNow for opening this interesting discussion.

We explored the fairy tales such Cinderella, the hare and the turtle, the sleeping beauty, Pinocchio... but we did not make a parallelism with some movies. I am sure we can find many movies with the menage a trois theme Smiley

The thing is that we do not know what kind of relationship emily had with Ricky. Ricky was older than her and she was still a teen/young girl when she fell for this man completely. The kind of love that is ideal. The first love.

So yes, it makes sense that emily compared each man for a long long time to Ricky until Brad. Brad was was her rebellious side to move on, to stop living in the past. Brad was the present. She wanted at that time to leave charlotte, brand new life in Texas. Memories would stay in Charlotte with her grieving. I am not totally convinced she was totally ready for Brad. She wanted to be ready but she was more eager to have a family and move on.

This season, I saw this season is a more secure emily. Someone who learned (yes stereotype completely) and know exactly what she wants for her and for ricki. In brad's equation it was her and brad and ricki came along the way. Not saying that brad would not care for her daughter but brad was not ready to take the dad suit. It would always be her and brad and her and ricki... pretty much the way I picture emily and arie in fact.

First love are always idealized but with time and maturity, we understand that it was a bubble not the real thing, totally real at the time and I am sure they were madly in love with each other (although I remember a gossip about another woman during their love story). It will always remain tender and sweet in her heart and ricki will be the proof of their love but now she is no longer a young woman, she is a woman.

I enjoyed the movie theory. it could be very true that the attraction/lust/emotional/best friend was the same with arie and ricky. I can picture that taking her young age when she met ricky and I see arie still not mature (bachelor life, party with friends after work, late evening/late wake up, etc). I know arie fan (again) will jump the curtains to defend their god but I think arie a very nice endearing young guy that his age does not match his life/action. He acts and live as a 20ish young man. no responsibilities. It does not mean he does not want them. It does not mean he does not dream them. He just has no clue how to do it. Arie makes me think of a man who was lucky to get everything he wanted at his finger tips: be a race driver as his dad (which totally helped him versus any regular guy who has no connection), women ready at all time (handsome and groupies in the circuit so never lacking), money to not worry... Again, it does not mean he is not a good guy. He is just a guy who is 30 and realizing that it is no longer enough to have the life he is living or starting to understand it. Is he surrendered with only young adults of 20ish or married men with kids and he feel stuck in the middle? Probably. I have been in this position when I was 30: clubbing with 20-255ish friends and my other friends already married with kids. very unsatisfactory.

Sorry. did not want to talk about arie too much. I just want to say that I like the guy and as CH said early on in the show to emily: I (you) like this kid! and that resume arie. He is not a man... yet. But give him a couple of years and the right person around him and he will become an extraordinary man. Right now, he is still in the shadow of his dad. Maybe him being a sport reporter (we saw him a couple of time since the show ended) will open new doors. I wish him the best and find the right woman who will complement him. I find arie a bit unfinished. And if we need to compare with a movie actor I would say sean connery.... he was gorgeous at 30 but all the woman are drooling even more when he was 40-50.

Sean. they edited him poorly. he was edited as a boring guy who has commitment issues and is not really affectionate and fun. Will he be the next bachelor? He reminds me ashley hebert in a way that she was heartbroken but composed.... CH is portraying him as a heartbroken guy at the MTA.... we all know that we saw sean not that heartbroken with girls in a bar.... methinks that the producers want him as back up if roberto refuse and depending how popular will be arie's exit and how teary the fan will root for one or the other.

Jef brings all her dreams come true on every level: emotional, physical and soul. I believe she found her soul mate. Faith, charities, family, same goals... and the little butterflies that no matter how much you want them to show up, they just have their own mind to decide with who and when. It looks like it was with jef.

My last thought is about the famous scripting. All contestants of this show are not actors. It is for most of them a first time experience. Since we know that the producers have a storyline, why people are you all surprised to hear quotes and such? They have a show to tape. They have drama to incorporate. OF COURSE all of them have direction and help to express themselves in front of the cameras. Sometimes we have glimpses of honest interaction.

PI... they take hours to show us a 2 minutes edited version. They have to repeat ad nauseam the same things and they pick the same sentence said with exactly the ton of voice they want to use. They pick the right expression who goes with it.

Now lets remember how many actors fell for their fellow actors in the same set they were taping the same movies..... how many times did we read this happened? many times, one famous is Angelina and Brad Pitt but many others.

Something that some days make me smile and other days make me cringe are the necessity that each fan need to be convinced that the show is scripted and edited.

but to make things clear (again), even if 95% is scripted, I enjoy my 5% which are not and I am a happy camper (thanks to love_me to spoil me and gave me direction to focus on jef) because I saw a love story and that is all I am asking from this tv reality show: to entertain me for a couple of weeks. Everything else is moot.

This show really brings me all kind of emotions here giggling duh :headbanging rofl :crazed Upset cheeky :eyesigh: Suspect no no yes no hissyfit :thud but overall Hugesmile

ok. my thoughts of the day.

Hi Shelby, Not sure if I am misinterpreting you. So forgive me if I am but How Soon is now is not saying the show is scripted but at the beginning of the season MF has a storyline to follow. He can make any of the men fit into this story line depending on how it plays out with the lead and her actors.
It doesn't mean it is more scripted- but definitely more edited. :Smiley:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
shannonmac
shannonmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:51 pm

clueless wrote:I mostly lurke but I have to say I always enjoy reading your posts Shelby.

thank you for making my day. :)

Shelby

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:35 pm

when they "hire" the men before the season. They are not doing it randomly hoping for the best. They do have expert. Not only because it is the 24th season but also real expert that are paid to know exactly what they are looking for. They have some kind of "profile expert" for reality tv shows. And this is done BEFORE the season starts. This is done when the storyline is approved, once the lead is chosen.

Each episode is orchestrated carefully. They are also king manipulators and will push all the right buttons to the villains to generate dramas. 24/7 with the contestants with no way to think but only the lead and the contestants and you put the people in a set mind that is un-natural. The only part that the lead is consulted is at the M&G when she provides her 3-4 top pick. Everything else is no longer on her hands.

But they cannot "hire" only people to fill in the characters. So a couple will fit the right profile of what the lead is looking for. Just enough that the lead will fall in love. Why do you think "matchmakers" always existed eons ago? If you make a search, this is still a very lucrative job, either agencies or online. Those people hired by ABC are not guessing, they compile the hundred of questions filled in in a questionnaire and they pick the one that are the closest of what they are looking for, for the season (this was also confirmed by contestants who never made the show and how they were selected).

Fleiss said it in an interview during the ali season: 70/30 are fake people (not sure about the %). If you make the calculation that means 6 genuine out of 25. take out 5 that did not take their chance at the M&G it is still 14 in the weird/villains/drama/fetish area.

and guess what... we know our top 6 this season right? jef, arie, sean, chris, doug, john.

But even knowing this, they just cannot predict what will happen during the show. They hope for the best. They have experience to pretty much know to a certain point but not 100%.

If you ask me if arie or sean or jef were in the 30% good part... I would say sean for sure: faith/family oriented. Arie is too much of a coincidence that he is an indie race driver to not think that they thought about her lost love ricky (I have to say that I will use my joker on this one because I do not know. one minute I think he is genuine and the next I see him as a bachelor spoiled brat). Jef is the unpredictable part. When they hired him, he had the bad boy look with long hair, a bit hippy free spirit but the faith/charity makes me think that he was in the 30% good part too.

with everything planned, there is always a part that nobody can control. The DJ left too early, he was supposed to generate more drama with kalon. Ryan left also too early, he was the last villain. Doug did not fulfill their hopes, they were hoping more hot temper. The successful was emotional chris.

it is a machine and this machine has a budget and professional behind the cameras to edit and behind the scenes to prepare and on the scene to direct. nothing is left hazardous but yet we will always have this human non controllable part that makes the show still enjoyable: my 5% not scripted :)

the edits will cut the scenes to fit the scripted scenario. This is why they have to repeat ad nauseam the same sentence over and over again (nobody will evarrrrrrrrrrrr forget the dot dot dot of ahsley). Lets remember that the team in LA do receive hundred of tapes each week and they are already working on the edits, They do not do it once the season is over! This is something I know first hand since I worked 5 years at disney. So this team do follow the original script and in the process ask the crew on set to re-do some PI because the original materials are not good enough... so we do see then the lead with the same outfit but the makeup and hair is different somehow. The episodes you see means hundred of hours of edits behind them. It is never a last minute episode. It is thought long and hard before and during the taping.

it is not a homemade movie here... we are talking big $$. ABC is huge and they have resources and experience.

Last edited by Shelby on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

Shelby

Back to top Go down

Post by shannonmac Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 pm

No need for a lesson for me.

I was merely making an observation that any of the men that were her fav's could fit the storyline.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
shannonmac
shannonmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:43 pm

shannonmac wrote:No need for a lesson for me.

I was merely making an observation that any of the men that were her fav's could fit the storyline.

got carried away in my explaination. will removed your quote. did not mean any lecture or whatever lesson.

Shelby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

VO & PI's - Discussion - Bachelorette 8

+5
Shelby
Bananaloaf
Minney
Love_Me
HowSoonIsNow