SELECT CONTENT

Celebrities - News - Discussion

Page 20 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 36  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RIP - Celebrities - News - Discussion  - Page 20 Empty Re: Celebrities - News - Discussion

Post by ReneeM Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:33 pm

I don't know how many here are familiar with Chance The Rapper, but this guy is a gem. He's a 23 year old independent rapper from chicago, just won 3 grammys, very outspoken about his christianity, makes super great uplifting music, is very active in his community trying to end the mass gun violence in chicago and is trying to use his influence to fix the broken public school system in chicago. Over the weekend he met with a governor to discuss funding for public schools and he felt the meeting was unsuccessful, so today he announced he was donating 1 million dollars to Chicago Public Schools.

Chance the Rapper is donating $1 million to Chicago public schools, the musician announced Monday, after talks broke down with Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner over the weekend.

"While I'm frustrated and disappointed in the governor's inaction, that will not stop me from doing all I can to support Chicago's most valuable resource: its children," said the musician Monday, broadcasting his press conference on Instagram Live at Wescott Elementary School on the South Side of Chicago, "three blocks from where I was raised."

"Today, I am proud to announce I am donating $1 million to Chicago public schools," he said, urging corporations to join him.

The Chicago-native (real name: Chancelor Bennett) voiced frustration on Friday following a 30-minute meeting with Rauner to discuss funding for Chicago schools, which have suffered extensive budget cuts and closures. He called the governor's responses "vague."

The Republican governor is currently in a two-year budget stalemate with Democratic lawmakers. In December, Rauner vetoed a plan to allot $215 million to Chicago Public Schools after he said Democratic leaders "publicly reneged" on a pension reform measure to slash state employee retirement costs.

"He has since called me over the weekend. Our talks were unsuccessful," said Chance, adding that the politician would not commit to the funding "without caveats or ultimatums."

Chance said the governor "broke his promise to Chicago's children" when he "vetoed the funding to close out the school year. Our kids should not be held hostage because of political positioning."

Prior to Chance's press conference on Monday, Rauner's administration circulated a memo with options for funding public schools, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

"As you guys know, I'm not a politician," said Chance of those proposals, noting he wasn't looking for slashed government subsidies.

Chance, per the Sun-Times, comes from an activist family: His father, Ken Bennett, was an aide to Harold Washington, the first black mayor of Chicago, in the 1980s, and a former deputy chief of staff to current mayor Rahm Emanuel, a top official in the Obama administration.

The 23-year-old Coloring Book rapper initially reached out to Rauner about a sit-down after the governor congratulated him on his recent Grammy wins.

Chance closed with this: "Gov. Rauner, do your job."

As good a role model as there is out there for young people IMO. http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/03/06/chance-rapper-donates-1million-dollars-chicago-public-schools/98815172/?hootPostID=04dbb841b62be8f2c76f8b9c655a13a0

ReneeM

Back to top Go down

RIP - Celebrities - News - Discussion  - Page 20 Empty Re: Celebrities - News - Discussion

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:00 pm

What a great story and a show of determination by Chance to help the children in his old community. We need more people like him. yes

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71466

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:11 pm

How sad! RIP Erin Moran

http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/22/happy-days-star-erin-moran-dead/

ERIN MORAN
'HAPPY DAYS' STAR DEAD AT 56

Erin Moran who famously played Joanie Cunningham on "Happy Days" and its spinoff "Joanie Loves Chachi" has died ... TMZ has learned.
We're told authorities in Indiana got a call just after 4 PM ET Saturday from someone reporting an "unresponsive female." EMT's arrived and found Erin Moran's body ... she was already dead.
Moran shot to spotlight in the early 70s when she was cast on "Happy Days" as Joanie, the younger sister of Ron Howard's character. She continued the role in 1982 alongside Scott Baio in "Joanie Loves Chachi" but the show only lasted one season.

Erin had a tough time after her "Happy Days" stardom ... a combination of drinking and bizarre behavior that eventually landed her in a trailer park in Indiana. She had run out of money and was reportedly kicked out of the mobile home she shared with husband Steve Fleischmann.

Through her career, Moran also landed roles on "Murder, She Wrote," "Desperation Boulevard," and "Celebrity Fit Club."
An autopsy is pending.
She was 56.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sdmom Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Late to reply but my son LOVES Chance. Great to know he's not only a talented musician but a great human being as well.

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree"~ Martin Luther
sdmom
sdmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:44 pm

Very sad. Then you read the comments below and talk about hate comments... no no what is it with society?

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Tue May 02, 2017 11:30 am

This is sad, emotional, but a good ending. Go to the link for the article. Wishing continued strength for Billy with a clean bill of health in the years to come.

Jimmy Kimmel reveals newborn son born has heart defect during emotional monologue

wkbw.com

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Newto Tue May 02, 2017 11:37 am

How very lucky for this child that he was born in an era of high technology medicine. Years ago he would never have made it. This was an excellent monologue.

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Newto
Newto

Female Posts : 13874

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Tue May 02, 2017 12:01 pm

How scary. Glad their son is doing well. I can't imagine being a parent and having to worry about not only if your child will die, but how you will pay for it all. I had friends who had something similar happen to their son. He had to be delivered early so they could operate on him since they discovered the issue before he was even born. The stress was horrible. Fortunately with Canadian health care, at least they didn't have to worry about paying for it.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by ReneeM Tue May 02, 2017 2:19 pm

When I watched JK last night it really made me cry. This video is another one that's very moving IMO. One of the best commercials in recent memory IMO.

ReneeM

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Tue May 02, 2017 3:17 pm

@ReneeM Loved that!

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by smartcat Tue May 02, 2017 5:52 pm

I was stunned. So good, open and real. What a great commercial. Thanks for posting it
ReneeM.
smartcat
smartcat

Female Posts : 13954

Back to top Go down

Post by smartcat Tue May 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Newto wrote:How very lucky for this child that he was born in an era of high technology medicine.  Years ago he would never have made it.  This was an excellent monologue.

I was so moved watching this father, forget TV personality, moved to tears about his tender new born. So happy for the medical care and the great outcome.
smartcat
smartcat

Female Posts : 13954

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 36  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Celebrities - News - Discussion

+38
ddsmom17
Scooby
sdmom
ReneeM
mprssdbyu