SELECT CONTENT

Books - Discussion

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Books - Discussion  - Page 10 Empty Re: Books - Discussion

Post by Pia1 Fri May 15, 2015 10:46 am

Has anyone here read the Outlander Novels by Diana Gabaldon?

And one day I turned around and looked back and saw that each step I’d taken was a choice, to go left, to go right, to go forward or even to not go at all. Every day every man has a choice between right and wrong, between love and hate, and sometimes between life and death and the sum of those choices becomes your life-Jamie Fraser
Pia1
Pia1

Back to top Go down

Post by happygolucky Fri May 15, 2015 11:00 am

Hi Pia... just found out this thread, cool one. I haven't read Outlander yet (if I ever), just the synopsis of each book, but I'm not huge fan of a supernatural world, so that's keeping me away. Seen your sig, I did though read the Poldark series and I'm in-love with that storytelling. So I'm even more excited since the new TV series has come out this year and I like seeing both countrysides, gorgeous Cornwall and majestic Scotland.

Comfort Zone is just a prison of our own making. / I hope you dance.

happygolucky

Back to top Go down

Post by Pia1 Fri May 15, 2015 11:26 am

happygolucky wrote:Hi Pia... just found out this thread, cool one. I haven't read Outlander yet (if I ever), just the synopsis of each book, but I'm not huge fan of a supernatural world, so that's keeping me away. Seen your sig, I did though read the Poldark series and I'm in-love with that storytelling. So I'm even more excited since the new TV series has come out this year and I like seeing both countrysides, gorgeous Cornwall and majestic Scotland.

Yes, love Poldark! I can't wait for Season 2. It will be here in the US in June on PBS but I watched the series when it was airing in the UK via YouTube. It was wonderfully adapted and stayed close to the book.  I'm reading the 3rd book of the series and I believe season 2 is going to be book 3 & 4. I can't wait!

Now, what can I say  about Outlander that will express my complete fascination with the series that's airing now on Starz.  I only got acquainted with the books and series about 3 weeks ago and I'm completely hooked.  It's a combination of genres. It's historical, sci fi, romance and others.  It has something for everyone. And I'm also fascinated with the actors in the series. Their chemistry is off the charts and I think is the big reason that the series is so realistic.  Please check it out.  I must warn you that there are very graphic sex scenes but it's not gratuitous sex scenes which is very rampant on TV.  I wouldn't normally ever watch something like this on TV but this is very well done and portrays how it should be between a man and a woman.  The books are phenomenal! I just got done reading book one which is season one and they are now filming season two.

And one day I turned around and looked back and saw that each step I’d taken was a choice, to go left, to go right, to go forward or even to not go at all. Every day every man has a choice between right and wrong, between love and hate, and sometimes between life and death and the sum of those choices becomes your life-Jamie Fraser
Pia1
Pia1

Back to top Go down

Post by albean99 Fri May 29, 2015 11:39 pm

My book club just read "The Boys in the Boat" which I loved. It's about a rowing team from U of Washington and their quest for gold in Berlin's 1936 Olympics. It was interesting in so many ways because you got to know the guys (1 in particular), learn more about rowing, and what was going on in the country and the world at that time. We rate book from 1 to 5 stars and this one got a 5 overall which almost never happens.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Boys-Boat-Americans-Olympics/dp/0143125478

"Love is the Only Reality" -Ed Lambton
albean99
albean99

Female Posts : 15259

Back to top Go down

Post by albean99 Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:00 pm

My other book club just read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It's a workout being 770 pages and I think I'd liked it more if it were 400 pgs less. It got 3.5 stars at our book group. I came down on the 3 star side and that was only because there was a lot I liked and her writing style was good.  The editors weren't her friend and she obviously couldn't self edit.  

It was an "it book" for a while and even won a Pulitzer.

albean99
albean99

Back to top Go down

Post by tireman4 Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:02 pm

Got one for you. The Promise by Ann Weisgarber. Really good book set in 1900 Galveston, Texas. Yes, the Hurricane is part of it. LOL

tireman4

Male Posts : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:03 pm

I enjoyed that book, Bean. I read it last winter. 
I just finished The Book Thief. I enjoyed that, also. A lot!

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by albean99 Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:13 pm

I'll take a look at that one, tireman. I've read a bit about the Hurricane and have been to Galveston so would probably find it interesting.

I'm not big on ultra long books, Kasha. It makes me tune out and skip parts. giggling

albean99
albean99

Back to top Go down

Post by tireman4 Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:17 pm

albean99 wrote:I'll take a look at that one, tireman. I've read a bit about the Hurricane and have been to Galveston so would probably find it interesting.

Oh you want a good book on the Galveston Hurricane ( by the way, folks around here still talk about it. Yes, Galveston still has never recovered), Issac's Storm by Eric Larson. That book is so riveting. I promise, you cannot put it down. Another book for me to recommend ( I am a librarian as well as a historian) is The Dream and the Deal by Jerre Mangione. It is about the Federal Writers' Project ( part of the WPA in the 1930's) and also a small part of my dissertation topic. Smiley

tireman4

Male Posts : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:19 pm

Okay, I am going to go science geeky on you all here but it is truly an interesting read. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, it is a fascinating book about medical and scientific ethics. I have never worked in HeLa cells, but I meet people all the time who do and they changed the face of research forever.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Female Posts : 10802

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:46 pm

stuckinsc wrote:Okay, I am going to go science geeky on you all here but it is truly an interesting read.  The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, it is a fascinating book about medical and scientific ethics.  I have never worked in HeLa cells, but I meet people all the time who do and they changed the face of research forever.  

I just picked that one up. Looks really good so I just need some time when I can read it in peace.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:48 pm

Sprite wrote:
stuckinsc wrote:Okay, I am going to go science geeky on you all here but it is truly an interesting read.  The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, it is a fascinating book about medical and scientific ethics.  I have never worked in HeLa cells, but I meet people all the time who do and they changed the face of research forever.  

I just picked that one up. Looks really good so I just need some time when I can read it in peace.

I will be interested to hear what you think, it is a deeply meaningful book to me as this one woman changed the course of biomedical research forever but how they did it was not okay.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Female Posts : 10802

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Books - Discussion

+47