SELECT CONTENT

Olympics - Discussion

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Olympics - Discussion - Page 13 Empty Re: Olympics - Discussion

Post by stuckinsc Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Norcalgal wrote:
Kashathediva wrote:The 15 yr old Russian was truly unbelievable and her team mate equally as skilled, graceful and did a wonderful job.

I watched both and felt they were heads above the other contestants. However, I feel that Alina 'gamed' the contest by putting all her jumps in the back end of the program. A true feat of athleticism but I was moved by Evgenia's storytelling.

And I know I probably butcher the spelling of their names - apologies.

I actually like the bonus for the second half, but when you didn't do a single jump before the 2 minutes are your legs really tired. I think figure skating will have to look at the bonus if skaters are going to start manipulating it this way. JMO.

ETA: Just finished watching them both. IMO Zagitova didn't do a routine, she barely had artistry in the first half and then just a bunch of jumps in the second half. Medvedeva had an actual routine, beautiful elements and the jumps were connected by other elements. I enjoyed it much more. JMO.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Female Posts : 10802

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Congrats to Skip John Shuster and team for winning gold for the first time ever! I didn't watch it, just saw some highlights but I was checking the updates when they played.

Olympics - Discussion - Page 13 1627380978

I love curling. I'm so sad for our Canadians men and women who were the favourites and have won every single Olympics. It's my fault, I jinxed them counting on two more medals from curling!!!

Here is a remarkable article about Canada's contribution to the world and curling. Skip Kevin Coe, a true gentleman as are the rest of the team. Proud of the mixed doubles first time as an Olympic event won the gold, for Canada.

http://nationalpost.com/sports/olympics/canada-facilitated-own-olympic-curling-demise-by-helping-the-world-improve
Canada facilitated own Olympic curling demise by helping the world improve

GANGNEUNG — Perhaps the best words of advice to a reeling Canadian curling community today would be these: be careful what you wish for.

Curlers in Canada wanted the world to embrace the game and wanted to help other countries get better. They’ve helped train curlers from other countries, welcomed them into their abundant facilities, welcomed them into their cash tournaments, and taken jobs as their coaches.

The result is curling teams around the world are better than they were four years ago, and that might help explain why Canada — a double gold medal winner at Sochi 2014 — finished off the podium for the first time ever in both men’s and women’s curling at the Olympics.

The latest disappointing result came Friday when Kevin Koe’s Calgary foursome dropped a 7-5 decision to Switzerland’s Peter De Cruz in the bronze medal game at Gangneung Curling Centre.

On one hand, it is great for the game internationally when teams like South Korea, Japan, the United States and Great Britain have a chance to play for medals. On the other, Canadians have viewed curling as a lock for medals since the sport became part of the Olympics in 1998. There are significant shockwaves crossing the country as people try to come to grips with what happened this month in Pyeongchang.

“We could have used a few more misses from our opponents this week, if teams were a little bit crappier,” Canadian men’s player Marc Kennedy said. “But they’re not. They’re damn good and they’ve learned how to win and it’s tough to keep up.”

It’s hard to imagine a Canadian curler talking about how hard it is to keep up with everyone else. The Canadians have always been the front-runners, double gold medal winners in Sochi, gold medallists in Vancouver and Turin and even Nagano. Even when not winning gold, Canada was always at least in the medals.

Not this time.

Koe’s team made the playoffs but then sputtered, first losing the semifinal 5-3 to the Americans, skipped by John Shuster, and then losing the bronze medal game to Switzerland. They were outplayed in both games, rarely had a chance to make any aggressive calls and were always on the defensive.

It just didn’t seem like Canadian curling.

Or maybe it did. It was just that the other teams were doing it better.

The expectations were high for these Olympics — how could they not be with Canada’s impressive track record? — but nonetheless two of three curling teams here will go home empty-handed and scratching their heads.

The only saving grace for Canadian curling was a gold medal won by Kaitlyn Lawes and John Morris in mixed doubles, a new event at these Olympics. Imagine the hand-wringing that would be going on in the curling capital of the world without that positive result?

Many people, including Koe, will take little solace in that.

“Hugely disappointed,” said Koe, who curls with Kennedy, Brent Laing and Ben Hebert. ”We feel like we’re a better team than we showed in the playoffs and it just sucks that we couldn’t pull it out when we needed to.

“Just too many misses in the final games. Those weren’t our best games. We managed to keep the games close but it’s tough when you are not playing your best.”

And yet, even without a medal, even with the crushing disappointment fresh in his gut, Kennedy was able to see how Canada’s loss is good for curling on the whole.

“We want the sport to grow around the world and the USA making the final might be the best thing that ever happened to curling,” Kennedy said.

“It might not be the best thing that ever happens to Canadian curling. But the U.S. is the biggest sporting market in the world and if you can get young American people playing the sport, there’s more money, there’d be more training and coaching … the sky’s the limit.”

Kennedy has no issue with the rest of the world beating Canada at its own game.

“We do have a World Curling Tour where these teams can come over to Canada and use our coaching and get better, and they have done that,” he said. “They do it, maybe to our detriment, but it has made for heck of entertainment and at the end of the day, is that not what this is all about?

South Korea’s EunJung Kim was playing in a women’s semifinal Friday night against Japan’s Satsuke Fujisawa. The media tent at the curling venue was never more full than it was at that moment. Scores of journalists and photographers were there from South Korea and Japan and the place was buzzing.

The game was a big deal. The building was full of enthusiastic, vocal fans who have already embraced curling, but will fall head over heels in love with it if the Korean curlers are successful.

If the United States is the biggest potential growth market for curling, Asia is a close second.

“As a fan, it’s wonderful,” Kennedy said. “I love seeing the sport grow. As a Canadian that wants to win everything, it sucks. But I’m a fan of the sport, so if other countries are getting to finals and winning, then it’s awesome. I love curling more than anything.”

This of course doesn’t mean Canada will stop winning world championships and Olympic gold medals. It just might mean it will have to work harder at it.

Koe doesn’t think there’s anything to worry about in the big picture. He was here, living an Olympic dream with his teammates and family, and he was thrilled to be a part of it. His team just had a couple of bad games at the wrong time.

“I think Curling Canada does everything right to get these teams ready for these events,” Koe said. “We lost two games in a row. Everybody loses two games in a row. Unfortunately for us, they came here.”

Koe would not change a thing about the way Canada selects its Olympic representatives, through trials in December, a couple months before the Games. Some people have suggested Canada should pick its Olympic teams sooner and give them more time to prepare to peak at exactly the right moment.

“History shows you it has worked,” Koe said. “This event, maybe people will start to think otherwise, but we were ready, we were playing well and no matter when we would have been chosen, we felt great coming here, in top top shape. We just didn’t play our best games.

“We have amazing depth in Canada. A lot of these countries have one good team. I couldn’t even tell you another good team in Sweden or Switzerland. They focus on one team and those teams do well. To say all these countries are at the level of Canada, I don’t think that’s accurate.”

Maybe not in the big picture. But it sure was accurate in these Olympics.

• Email: twyman@postmedia.com | Twitter: @Ted_Wyma

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71448

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:16 pm

When Team Canada curling lost the bronze to Germany. laugh out loud So sweet.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nikikass Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:22 pm

That is so funny.

Congrats Germany.  I am hoping you win it all now.

I am routing for you.   P.s..  (we will beat you in soccer someday)

ETA well the woman can ;). Just talking about the men!
nikikass
nikikass

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:36 am

Scott and Tessa dancing to The Hip! omg!

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:48 am

This is all I have. I hope the full skate gets uploaded somewhere. Wow, just wow!

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by umngirl Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:15 am

The gala finale to “This is Me” from The Greatest Showman made me ridiculously happy.

Olympics - Discussion - Page 13 87b72b10 Olympics - Discussion - Page 13 86669110 Olympics - Discussion - Page 13 Fd795c10
umngirl
umngirl

Female Posts : 20215

Back to top Go down

Post by XQZME Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:28 am

umngirl wrote:The gala finale to “This is Me” from The Greatest Showman made me ridiculously happy.

Keala Settle sang it on The Graham Norton show last night...so powerful and moving!!!
XQZME
XQZME

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:50 pm

Congrats to all the athletes. A great Olympics, from the host country to the volunteers and everyone else, wow, just wonderful! Round two coming up! Olympics - Discussion - Page 13 1710264613

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:50 pm

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:40 am

Good luck!!!!!

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Olympics - Discussion - Page 13 1122970954

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down