SELECT CONTENT

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Page 14 of 81 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 47 ... 81  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 14 Empty Re: What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:37 am

For jcrbil!!

Sulmona Italy!

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 14 202_0282_zps450a8ca1

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 14 202_0286_zps93c719b1

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71466

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 14 Empty Re: What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:50 pm

Happy Civic Holiday to all the Canadian members, and guests!

A special thank you to those who have to work today!

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 14 1122970954 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71466

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:04 pm

A great topic was brought up on the Nick fan thread regarding the ALS bucket challenge.
A lively discussion started and I thought I would tweak this thread to see if anyone might be interested.

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:06 pm

However, remember JJ nominated him for the ice bucket challenge almost a week ago and we haven't heard Nick's response? I remember someone else also commenting on Nick's IG but he never responded.

Okay, so this is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I wish everyone of those people who are dumping ice on their heads would make sure to donate.  I always say, even a dollar helps, it all adds up!

I do biomedical research. With cost of living (supplies and such) NIH funding in the last ten years has decreased by 25%!  Everyone wants a cure, but everyone wants to cut spending.  Well, we only make scientific advancement through funding research.  I only make $24000/year right now and pay $3000 of that to fees, not to mention taxes.  I still donate over $500 to organizations that benefit scientific research.  There are plenty, ALS has theirs, not your thing, well my friends and I get funding from the American Cancer Society, the Susan G Komen Foundation, the American Kidney Foundation, the American Heart Association, and the March of Dimes and there are many more.  The Jimmy V Foundation give all it's profit after it's operating budget to cancer research.  We need money!  I know personally, when I started research in 2001, I considered having my own lab, but when I get my PhD in 2014, there is no way I would do it.  Funding levels are below 10%. That means that less then 10% of every proposed idea gets funded.  People want to know why we don't have more treatment or more cures or vaccines.  Well there is less and less money available.

Okay, getting off my :soapbox  now. But this truly does irritate me.  Dumping ice over your head without learning about the disease or contributing just makes you a putz, not cool at all!

It was also added that the AIDS foundation does great work too!
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Female Posts : 10802

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:20 pm

There are several charities I staunchly support for my own personal reasons that are dear to me. (Breast Cancer, Alzheimers, MS)
I haven't done this ice bucket challenge and honestly--I probably won't. What I can say is I do take care of a patient with ALS on a regular basis for the past 2 yrs.(she is one of 26 on my assignment) After my shift is over--I feel like I have gone through an emotional ice bucket challenge many times over.

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by eirekay Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:54 pm

Kashathediva wrote:There are several charities I staunchly support for my own personal reasons that are dear to me. (Breast Cancer, Alzheimers, MS)
I haven't done this ice bucket challenge and honestly--I probably won't. What I can say is I do take care of a patient with ALS on a regular basis for the past 2 yrs.(she is one of 26 on my assignment) After my shift is over--I feel like I have gone through an emotional ice bucket challenge many times over.

I think the ice bucket challenge has energized the 20-35 age group which really hasn't (for the most part) been philanthropic. It has focused them on giving which is positive. I won't be taking part - we have a drought in California and I turn off the shower once I get wet enough to be able soap up and then I turn it back on to rinse - but I like seeing my children's friends getting involved!
eirekay
eirekay

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:42 pm

eirekay wrote:
Kashathediva wrote:There are several charities I staunchly support for my own personal reasons that are dear to me. (Breast Cancer, Alzheimers, MS)

I think the ice bucket challenge has energized the 20-35 age group which really hasn't (for the most part) been philanthropic.  It has focused them on giving which is positive.  I won't be taking part - we have a drought in California and I turn off the shower once I get wet enough to be able soap up and then I turn it back on to rinse - but I like seeing my children's friends getting involved!

As long as the 20-35 year olds remember the donation part and not just the funny pouring ice over their heads.

Erie, one of my good friends lived in the bay area for many years, he posted some people doing the challenge with buckets of dirt, due to the water drought in Cali.  I found that funny.

Kasha, nurses are the true heros.  Bless you, you must be on a neuro wing.  I have learned so much from neurology grand rounds, it must be a huge challenge.  You don't need any ice buckets, you give your heart instead.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Back to top Go down

Post by umngirl Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:48 pm

I haven't done the challenge yet (haven't been nominated to take part). But I did make a donation last week. I have a few charities I usually give to: MACC fund being the most frequent, but I felt compelled to donate after reading/watching the story behind the challenge and it's roots.

I like those who choose to go about the challenge differently, not dumping the water mainly, because of the drought here and because it feels like such a waste in general. I'd much rather just get videos of people talking about the donations they are making. Although I will admit, it's been quite fun to watch some of my favorite athletes and celebrities get drenched but also donate.

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 14 87b72b10 What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 14 86669110 What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 14 Fd795c10
umngirl
umngirl

Female Posts : 20215

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:30 pm

umngirl wrote:I haven't done the challenge yet (haven't been nominated to take part). But I did make a donation last week. I have a few charities I usually give to: MACC fund being the most frequent, but I felt compelled to donate after reading/watching the story behind the challenge and it's roots.

I like those who choose to go about the challenge differently, not dumping the water mainly, because of the drought here and because it feels like such a waste in general. I'd much rather just get videos of people talking about the donations they are making. Although I will admit, it's been quite fun to watch some of my favorite athletes and celebrities get drenched but also donate.

Umngirl, that is awesome!  I have no problem with the ice bucket part as long as they talk about their donation first.  Quite a few I have seen don't talk about donations at all.  To me that misses the point completely.

Any charity you choose to donate to is great.  I am passionate about research, since it is what I spend my time trying to do. 

My sweet in laws give donations to charity for each of their sons and their daugther in laws for birthdays and Christmas.   This year my birthday present provided 500 lunches for children in Eastern Tennessee who normally get free lunch at school, but are going hungry without school being in session.  I was so happy, this is my first year being a full daughter in law and I was so excited to be officially a part of the family and helping others through my in laws donation.  They also support every single charity walk I do for March of Dimes, AHA, MS, and JDRF.  They even sent $10 to support a chili cookoff I organized for Wounded Warrior.

Can you tell I am proud of my in laws?

Anyway, it is awesome to hear the tales of all my board mates who donate what they can.  It really does make a difference.  We like to say every penny and every dollar counts.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Back to top Go down

Post by umngirl Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:38 pm

No sooner had I wrote that post and I find out one of my former volleyball players nominated me. Guess I'm getting wet tomorrow.

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 14 87b72b10 What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 14 86669110 What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 14 Fd795c10
umngirl
umngirl

Female Posts : 20215

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:58 pm

umngirl wrote:No sooner had I wrote that post and I find out one of my former volleyball players nominated me. Guess I'm getting wet tomorrow.

Sorry, at least it is warm there.  I joked with my husband, I already did it.  We were without power for five days in February when the ice storm hit Augusta/Aiken.  By day three, I was felt so nasty, I decided to take a really quick shower.  I made it about 15 seconds under the ice cold water and then shut it off, dried off and shivered for a couple of hours under my blankets while my husband laughed at me.  He had told me just to wait, but nope I did not listen.

Too bad it wasn't the night we had the earthquake on top of the power outage, that would have been even better.

I joked that God was hating on us a lot that week.  giggling
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Back to top Go down

Post by Trueloveforever Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Just saw this an hour ago on FB.. what lovely news to us Floridians. I'm basically right where the "2PM WEDNESDAY" ticker is pointing on the map.  :shocked!: 

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 14 10592810

"True love doesn't have a happy ending, because true love never ends."
Trueloveforever
Trueloveforever

Female Posts : 3064

https://www.youtube.com/truelove4every1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 81 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 47 ... 81  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

+84
vacayeveryday
mizzoufan
Katiebelle
gurlbrit
justcallmegranny