SELECT CONTENT

The Bachelor 20 - Ben Higgins - Episode 5 - Discussion - *Sleuthing - Spoilers*

Page 3 of 61 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 32 ... 61  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

setlife - The Bachelor 20 - Ben Higgins - Episode 5 - Discussion - *Sleuthing - Spoilers* - Page 3 Empty Re: The Bachelor 20 - Ben Higgins - Episode 5 - Discussion - *Sleuthing - Spoilers*

Post by albean99 Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:10 pm

AllAboutLove wrote:
albean99 wrote:Neither of my boys took Spanish in HS. One took French and the other German. What's funny is that both chose to do Spanish in college.  ETA: I found people in Europe that I met seemed to fairly fluent in more than one language which is far beyond my HS & college Spanish/French.
Are these three languages the most commonly taught ones in the US?

ITA about those speaking more than one language but it makes sense given they are languages usually spoken daily. As someone who grew up in a country that has 11 official languages it is/was the norm to speak/understand at least 3 or more languages at minimum and then even learn more languages at an early age academically.

It's especially interesting to me that languages in the US seem to be most commonly taught at the HS or College level instead of from kindergarten - it's one of the key differences I see which I think probably make for not retaining what is learned along with no need to speak it daily for most people.

Sorry for O/T but it is fascinating stuff and I love learning about all cultures! yes

I think it depends on how big your school is, AAL. Those were the main ones where we lived plus Latin. When we were in Ontario, Canada our oldest was going to go to French immersion in Pre-K but we moved and it wasn't offered anywhere else we lived. I think it would have been so much better for them to learn from an early age.

"Love is the Only Reality" -Ed Lambton
albean99
albean99

Female Posts : 15306

Back to top Go down

setlife - The Bachelor 20 - Ben Higgins - Episode 5 - Discussion - *Sleuthing - Spoilers* - Page 3 Empty Re: The Bachelor 20 - Ben Higgins - Episode 5 - Discussion - *Sleuthing - Spoilers*

Post by AllAboutLove Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

^ That's one thing I never understood in the US, why languages are not commonly (so at majority of schools across the nation) at a young academic level. It makes so much more sense to do so when the brain is developing and a child is a sponge for information - research shows this all the time. But then again, if it is seldom spoken daily I guess I can see why, although there are lots of benefits to learning additional languages overall.

I really can't blame Emily for not knowing what she was saying in that clip that she was supposed to say it in Spanish or for any of the girls that needed lessons. I would imagine it is hard to learn a language if one is not familiar with it and if one hasn't already got an affinity for languages (whether academically or because of background or both).
AllAboutLove
AllAboutLove

Back to top Go down

Post by umngirl Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Where I grew up the big four were Spanish, German, French, and Chinese. I think the local Catholic high schools offered Latin too.

setlife - The Bachelor 20 - Ben Higgins - Episode 5 - Discussion - *Sleuthing - Spoilers* - Page 3 87b72b10 setlife - The Bachelor 20 - Ben Higgins - Episode 5 - Discussion - *Sleuthing - Spoilers* - Page 3 86669110 setlife - The Bachelor 20 - Ben Higgins - Episode 5 - Discussion - *Sleuthing - Spoilers* - Page 3 Fd795c10
umngirl
umngirl

Female Posts : 20215

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:00 pm

albean99 wrote:snipped..
I think it depends on how big your school is, AAL. Those were the main ones where we lived plus Latin. When we were in Ontario, Canada our oldest was going to go to French immersion in Pre-K but we moved and it wasn't offered anywhere else we lived. I think it would have been so much better for them to learn from an early age.

Yup. Canada's languages are English and French. In elementary school, you are taught French. In high school you have a choice. However, now there are so many French immersion schools both elementary and High School those that want their children bi lingual go to those schools. If you don't you'll be taught French anyway up until Grade 8. All I had was elementary French. Because I'm of Italian background and spoke Italian as a child, (and everything around me is in English/French) I understand quite a bit of French, but can't speak it very much at all.

Someone refresh my memory. What nationality is Caila, I remember she was involved in something to do with her nationality? Do we know if she spoke that language at home?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71448

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAboutLove Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:05 pm

I believe Caila is half-Filipino? Given she studied abroad in Germany I wouldn't be surprised if she is bilingual and has an affinity for languages and excels in that area. I know growing up myself speaking multiple languages made it easier to learn more and have heard the same for those who are also bi/multi-lingual. It's kind of like having an ear for music, but language in a way. I can see Caila having that.

AllAboutLove
AllAboutLove

Back to top Go down

Post by rhondam Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:06 pm

I believe Filipino and Irish. I'm not sure if there are any other's as well.

Yes I also believe most major cities in Canada have at least one entirely French speaking school. My city's pop is only 250,000 and we have one such school.
rhondam
rhondam

Female Posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:11 pm

My imaginary boyfriends if I was in my 20's are iL Volo. An Italian group from Italy who didn't speak a word of English other than thank you, when they first appeared on American Idol in 2011. They shot to stardom. In no time at all due to their travels and fan base, learned to speak English and Spanish fluently, and can sing in other languages.

Some say English is the most difficult language to learn. I can see Caila with her travels and experience, be multi lingual.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71448

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAboutLove Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:15 pm

I also see Caila being multi-lingual and would be surprised if she wasn't.
AllAboutLove
AllAboutLove

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:44 pm

That "wake up" scene is hilarious. He was looking for Amanda, who I'm sure was sleeping with Lauren B. JoJo was also totally lying about that not being her weave laugh out loud

Back to top Go down

Post by rhondam Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:49 pm

How do you know?
rhondam
rhondam

Female Posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:54 pm

rhondam wrote:How do you know?
I don't. It just seemed like she was by the way she said "not miiiiine" laugh out loud

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAboutLove Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:55 pm

I would have to look again but the hair piece looked a bit short to be JoJo's. But who knows.

AllAboutLove
AllAboutLove

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 61 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 32 ... 61  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

The Bachelor 20 - Ben Higgins - Episode 5 - Discussion - *Sleuthing - Spoilers*

+67
Jolena
Carolinagirl1864
Longhornfan
Jeepers
mysthelma