SELECT CONTENT

Bachelor Australia - Season 5 - Matty Johnson - Media Social Media - *Sleuthing Spoilers* #3

Page 23 of 80 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 51 ... 80  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bachelor Australia - Season 5 - Matty Johnson - Media Social Media - *Sleuthing Spoilers* #3 - Page 23 Empty Re: Bachelor Australia - Season 5 - Matty Johnson - Media Social Media - *Sleuthing Spoilers* #3

Post by SugarAndSpice Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:00 am

Bobette wrote:Love your work @SugarAndSpice.  If you have time, when the season is over it would be interesting to see a line graph of the trajectories of the top few girls over time, if such a thing is easy to produce.

@bobette Already on it Bachelor Australia - Season 5 - Matty Johnson - Media Social Media - *Sleuthing Spoilers* #3 - Page 23 4256136633 Graphs are updated every time I enter new data. Love me some trajectories! Bachelor Australia - Season 5 - Matty Johnson - Media Social Media - *Sleuthing Spoilers* #3 - Page 23 1710264613
SugarAndSpice
SugarAndSpice

Back to top Go down

Bachelor Australia - Season 5 - Matty Johnson - Media Social Media - *Sleuthing Spoilers* #3 - Page 23 Empty Re: Bachelor Australia - Season 5 - Matty Johnson - Media Social Media - *Sleuthing Spoilers* #3

Post by Bobette Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:02 am

solaroo wrote:I must confess I don't really understand betting odds, so I'm just wondering is the max loss for Sportsbet the most important figure to know?

Not necessarily the most important, but max loss is revealing from the perspective that it shows what Sportsbet is willing to risk. Even at the very tight odds of 1.30 people could still make a decent profit off Laura if they were allowed to bet say $10,000 (profit would be $3000, minus fees).  So the more sure Sportsbet are that someone is likely to win, the less they will want to allow people to bet, because they want to minimise the loss to their business.  

Hence a max loss of $15 basically means they think Laura is so likely to win that they would really only give you barely enough in winnings to cover the fee for betting/withdrawing.  If they made her max loss any less, no one would bother betting at all and they DO want you do bet because once they've got your money, you have to turn it over before you can withdraw it and they probably figure what you win now you will lose at some later stage anyway.

SugarAndSpice wrote:
Bobette wrote:Love your work @SugarAndSpice.  If you have time, when the season is over it would be interesting to see a line graph of the trajectories of the top few girls over time, if such a thing is easy to produce.

@bobette Already on it Bachelor Australia - Season 5 - Matty Johnson - Media Social Media - *Sleuthing Spoilers* #3 - Page 23 4256136633 Graphs are updated every time I enter new data. Love me some trajectories! Bachelor Australia - Season 5 - Matty Johnson - Media Social Media - *Sleuthing Spoilers* #3 - Page 23 1710264613  

@SugarAndSpice I am salivating in anticipation and look forward to the finished result.  eyedrool
Bobette
Bobette

Back to top Go down

Post by ssin0547 Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:14 am

I don't know how Sportsbet are allowed to even have bets on a prerecorded show where the outcome is known to a small number of people. It is completely unfair to anyone betting. It's not about chance at all. It's about Sportsbet knowing they're going to make crap loads of money off of people betting on anyone who isn't F1. How do we know they don't just pay a bribe to someone at Channel 10.

ssin0547

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobette Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:28 am

ssin0547 wrote:I don't know how Sportsbet are allowed to even have bets on a prerecorded show where the outcome is known to a small number of people. It is completely unfair to anyone betting. It's not about chance at all. It's about Sportsbet knowing they're going to make crap loads of money off of people betting on anyone who isn't F1. How do we know they don't just pay a bribe to someone at Channel 10.

I think they probably do exactly that.  Hence why I find the odds such a compelling clue.  

There was a legal hoo-ha in May and I thought the outcome was that betting on pre-recorded shows was going to be banned but apparently not.  I was looking forward to not having the spoiler odds this season and was shocked when betting continued.

More here if you're interested: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4568128/Concerns-rise-integrity-betting-reality-TV.html
Bobette
Bobette

Back to top Go down

Post by solaroo Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:45 am

SugarAndSpice wrote:
solaroo wrote:I must confess I don't really understand betting odds, so I'm just wondering is the max loss for Sportsbet the most important figure to know?

Depends who you talk to. The following is my understanding/learning of odds and betting. Sportsbet (and other betting agencies.. in fact all bookies!) try to minimise their losses. Odds can be driven by betting popularity, research or (as I suspect in this case) knowing the outcome. Now, Sportsbet also needs to make money off the betting (otherwise they wouldn't do it). To make money they shape the odds to give several contestants "attractive" odds, like Lisa for example. Her odds are reasonable, meaning you will win a significant amount, but at the same time, the odds don't look ridiculous (I'm looking at you Sharlene!). In this way punters are likely to bet on contestants other than Laura "just in case" that contestant wins.

Now, to add to that, Sportsbet set a maximum on how much you can place on each contestant. In doing so Sportsbet has assessed the "risk" that the contestant might win, thus safeguarding the profit margin for Sportsbet.

For these reasons, I believe the "odds" tell us who the publicand Sportsbet thinks is going to win, whereas the max loss for Sportsbet tells us who Sportsbet is backing. Both values IMO are details worth noting for sleuthing, but I place a higher importance on the loss for the bookie.

Eek. Sorry for the long post (probably much more detail than you were after!)

Wow @SugarAndSpice that's a great explanation, thank you so much. And thanks also @Bobette for your input, I was feeling like a bit of a dummy til now!
solaroo
solaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarAndSpice Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:47 am

@solaroo You're welcome! bestbud!
SugarAndSpice
SugarAndSpice

Back to top Go down

Post by ssin0547 Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:58 am

@Bobette
thank you for the link. they should so not allow that.

ssin0547

Back to top Go down

Post by brownravens Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 am

SHARLENE

Finally, which lucky lady do you think you will be planning a wedding for?
I always thought that we’d have a little dark horse out of the blue and I think it would be Elise. But, like, from watching it on-screen, I’d probably go with Tara!

http://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebrity/tv/the-bachelors-sharlene-mik-wants-to-plan-mattys-wedding-40116

ALIX

Who do you think will win?

I’m going to put my money on Laura. They have a fantastic connection. Even watching it now it looks like they’re pretty perfect together.

http://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebrity/tv/the-bachelor-australia-alix-mcdermott-exit-chat-40123
brownravens
brownravens

Back to top Go down

Post by ssin0547 Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 am

Interesting that Sharlene thought Elise would be a dark horse.

ssin0547

Back to top Go down

Post by Sundy Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:30 am

It's unusual for the F1 to watch any of their own season apart from their own dates yeah?

Flo and Laura have just had an exchange on IG that referred to Sharlenes 'thanks,thanks' comment from tonight's episode. How would either of them know that without watching the episode and understanding how awkward that was? Or did she say thanks, thanks to the girls as well?

Last edited by Sundy on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Sundy
Sundy

Female Posts : 5893

Back to top Go down

Post by brownravens Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 am

I think some F1s watch all but depends on the personality i guess.
brownravens
brownravens

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarAndSpice Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:33 am

Sundy wrote:It's unusual for the F1 to watch any of their own season apart from their own dates yeah?

If I was in F1 I'd be watching every ep... laugh out loud If you got the guy in the end, there should be nothing to feel insecure about... unless you were Sam Frost... and Blake was the bachelor...
SugarAndSpice
SugarAndSpice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 80 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 51 ... 80  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Bachelor Australia - Season 5 - Matty Johnson - Media Social Media - *Sleuthing Spoilers* #3

+37
AprilApril
Pongo
carraiger
Rikkim
BasicallytheFBI
iamreal2u
Miyala
BlueJeans
Schnitty4lyf
makeover
zaraz