SELECT CONTENT

Andi Dorfman & Josh Murray - Bachelorette 10 - General Discussion #2

Page 31 of 79 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 55 ... 79  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Andi Dorfman & Josh Murray - Bachelorette 10 - General Discussion #2 - Page 31 Empty Re: Andi Dorfman & Josh Murray - Bachelorette 10 - General Discussion #2

Post by lurker11 Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:30 am

MiaHawk wrote:
lurker11 wrote:
stuckinsc wrote:

The taking time off after undergrad to get all the requirements for dental school is common too.  They actually have to have time put in before they enter dental school.  Similar to medicine where most medical students have done hours in clinics or research.

I do think law allows you to enter law school without much but your undergrad and your LSAT.  Is this the case?

I have met many lawyers for whom law wasn't what they thought it would be.  Most of the dentists and dental students I know have a very good expectation of what their career will be and are mostly happy with their choice.

Going straight into law school from undergrad, it maybe law wasn't what Andi expected.  That is okay.

I'm so confused by what requirements you're talking about for dental school... my boyfriend and best friend are both in dental school and went straight from undergrad.

Lurker, I'm not Stuckinsc, but I will comment.  

If a student has a high enough GPA, has taken all the required undergraduate core course in math and sciences, and has achieved a very good DAT scores, that is what is needed to be accepted to dental school.

But, as you know, it is really super competitive to gain acceptance into dental school.  If a student does not get accepted into dental school right out of college, they may spend a year doing a post-graduate year doing research and taking more courses in an attempt to boost their resume. They then can reapply and hope that the extra year of schooling helps them get in.  Or maybe they spend more time studying to retake the DAT to get a better score.  Also, there are only about 65 dental schools in the US, and their class sizes are typically much smaller than the medical schools. For example, my state's flagship medical school has about 90 students per year but only about 40 dental students per year.

Best of luck to your boyfriend and best friend!

ah! Thanks so much... phew I didn't have to wait another year for them to get in! I was already anxious!
lurker11
lurker11

Back to top Go down

Andi Dorfman & Josh Murray - Bachelorette 10 - General Discussion #2 - Page 31 Empty Re: Andi Dorfman & Josh Murray - Bachelorette 10 - General Discussion #2

Post by Lucas15 Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:06 am

stuckinsc wrote:Going straight into law school from undergrad, it maybe law wasn't what Andi expected.  That is okay.

She resigned as an ADA rather than ask for additional leave but has since expressed that she misses the practice of law and wants to return to it. How that translates into having no plans to return to it is IMHO only speculation that Andi is disappointed in her law career; nothing she's been quoted as saying that I am aware of suggests she doesn't plan to return.

Lucas15

Male Posts : 2809

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:54 pm

MiaHawk wrote:
lurker11 wrote:
stuckinsc wrote:

The taking time off after undergrad to get all the requirements for dental school is common too.  They actually have to have time put in before they enter dental school.  Similar to medicine where most medical students have done hours in clinics or research.

I do think law allows you to enter law school without much but your undergrad and your LSAT.  Is this the case?

I have met many lawyers for whom law wasn't what they thought it would be.  Most of the dentists and dental students I know have a very good expectation of what their career will be and are mostly happy with their choice.

Going straight into law school from undergrad, it maybe law wasn't what Andi expected.  That is okay.

I'm so confused by what requirements you're talking about for dental school... my boyfriend and best friend are both in dental school and went straight from undergrad.

Lurker, I'm not Stuckinsc, but I will comment.  

If a student has a high enough GPA, has taken all the required undergraduate core course in math and sciences, and has achieved a very good DAT scores, that is what is needed to be accepted to dental school.

But, as you know, it is really super competitive to gain acceptance into dental school.  If a student does not get accepted into dental school right out of college, they may spend a year doing a post-graduate year doing research and taking more courses in an attempt to boost their resume. They then can reapply and hope that the extra year of schooling helps them get in.  Or maybe they spend more time studying to retake the DAT to get a better score.  Also, there are only about 65 dental schools in the US, and their class sizes are typically much smaller than the medical schools. For example, my state's flagship medical school has about 90 students per year but only about 40 dental students per year.

Best of luck to your boyfriend and best friend!

We only have half as many spots for dental students as we do for medical students here too.  There are requirements to volunteer and spend time in dental service at least here at our school.  Pre-medical students switching actually have had to take time off to get the dental requirements.  It may not be the same every place.  

Perhaps your boyfriend and best friend had done their dental time during undergrad, it is totally possible as we have students here that do that as well.  Again they are very focused and know that dental is it for them.  Good luck to both of them.  It is a challenging curriculum.

Lucas15 wrote:   stuckinsc wrote:Going straight into law school from undergrad, it maybe law wasn't what Andi expected.  That is okay.

She resigned as an ADA rather than ask for additional leave but has since expressed that she misses the practice of law and wants to return to it. How that translates into having no plans to return to it is IMHO only speculation that Andi is disappointed in her law career; nothing she's been quoted as saying that I am aware of suggests she doesn't plan to return.

Andi was going back to the ADA right after filming according to her own words.  Then it was a leave of absence until December, which was granted.  Then she resigned.  That is fine too.  She is allowed.  I have said that I will believe that Andi is going back to law when she does it as her words about it have changed over time.  Does this mean she won't?  Absolutely not.  But IMO, I am waiting until Andi is a practicing lawyer again to believe that she wants to be a lawyer again.

My original question stands. Do you have to do anything other than have the grades and having a good LSAT to get into law school?
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Female Posts : 10802

Back to top Go down

Post by lurker11 Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Stuck: I am in law school and the answer is it depends. I'd think all my extracurriculars and volunteer work as a domestic violence legal advocate got me into law school. I suppose if you have an amazing GPA and LSAT you don't have to have anything else, but I think that's extremely unlikely.

I also would think that it's going to be hard for Andi to get back into law no matter how much she wants to.... it's a horrible horrible legal market everywhere right now, so i would maybe guess that Andi has attempted to apply places to find it hard to get her foot back in the door
lurker11
lurker11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:05 pm

lurker11 wrote:Stuck: I am in law school and the answer is it depends. I'd think all my extracurriculars and volunteer work as a domestic violence legal advocate got me into law school. I suppose if you have an amazing GPA and LSAT you don't have to have anything else, but I think that's extremely unlikely.

I also would think that it's going to be hard for Andi to get back into law no matter how much she wants to.... it's a horrible horrible legal market everywhere right now, so i would maybe guess that Andi has attempted to apply places to find it hard to get her foot back in the door
My son-in-law is year is either year 6 or 7 out of law school. He undergrad'ed at UPenn and law school at Michigan. For him it was grades/GPA and LSAT. He is with large international firm and personally keeping a low profile is very important to him for professional reasons. He was very cautious when my daughter made their wedding website with listing anything personal.  giggling 

He said it might be hard getting back into law not just because of the above post(thanks, Lurker) but also many firms would not want to be associated with anything that smacks notoriety.

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:21 pm

Kashathediva wrote:
lurker11 wrote:Stuck: I am in law school and the answer is it depends. I'd think all my extracurriculars and volunteer work as a domestic violence legal advocate got me into law school. I suppose if you have an amazing GPA and LSAT you don't have to have anything else, but I think that's extremely unlikely.

My son-in-law is year is either year 6 or 7 out of law school. He undergrad'ed at UPenn and law school at Michigan. For him it was grades/GPA and LSAT. He is with large international firm and personally keeping a low profile is very important to him for professional reasons. He was very cautious when my daughter made their wedding website with listing anything personal.  giggling 

He said it might be hard getting back into law not just because of the above post(thanks, Lurker) but also many firms would not want to be associated with anything that smacks notoriety.

Thanks both of you for letting me know. My college boyfriend went to law school forever ago, but for him it was all grades and LSAT and graduating in three years. He did a little student government but other than that he was all school all the time. My bff from grad school 1.0 got into law school, but she is one of those amazing people who tests out the roof, so without prep she still nailed the LSAT and of course had a 4.0 in biochem as an undergrad to work with. She decided to stick with the PhD, but she was admitted to both law schools she applied to and Emory law is not too easy to get into from what I have heard.

I hope Andi does whatever she wants. Again, I will believe Andi back in the law when I see it. She has changed her story over time, so to me, I will just wait and see.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Back to top Go down

Post by MiaHawk Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:43 pm

Yes, the market is currently heavy in lawyers seeking employment. Factors include the high number of graduates, previous low man on the totem pole layoffs, and the generally poor economy. One of our friends is a family law attorney (divorces mostly) and says business is way down---imagine that!---because in this economy people can't afford to get divorced. So, lack of job opportunities could most definitely be a factor in a longer gap in employment for Andi.

Law tends to be a conservative field, so I can see Andi's appearances on TB and B'ette as a possible negative in employers' eyes. There are lots of different specialty areas, though, and some may be less conservative and won't be deterred by it.
MiaHawk
MiaHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishGal Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:04 am

She can always rent an office and hang out a shingle.

Team Kaitlin!  Team Booth!
IrishGal
IrishGal

Female Posts : 3010

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:07 am

IrishGal wrote:She can always rent an office and hang out a shingle.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Divorce by Murray or DUI Murray billboards up on the Highways running through Atlanta in the future either. That would kind of go right in line with selling Advocare, because they aren't spokespeople they are selling it like every other joe schmo advocare sales person.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Back to top Go down

Post by beader Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:37 am

Get Divorced and Start Your Diet All in One Spot!

beader

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:00 pm

Kashathediva wrote:

The same IMO could be said for Josh's profession. How many investors would trust someone who is always out and about in the media. This leaves little time to look after clients investments especially when he is promoting another product as well. That is a full time job tracking investments, how the markets are performing, meeting with existing clients, moving one investment into another and trying at the same time to obtain new clients. To be successful in that profession you need to work more than your 40 hours per week, you can't do it when ever it's convenient for you. Perhaps after being in the business for many years with an established book of business, but to get there you can't wait for the phone to ring.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71528

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by nannymargie Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:59 pm

GuardianAngel wrote:
Kashathediva wrote:

The same IMO could be said for Josh's profession. How many investors would trust someone who is always out and about in the media. This leaves little time to look after clients investments especially when he is promoting another product as well. That is a full time job tracking investments, how the markets are performing, meeting with existing clients, moving one investment into another and trying at the same time to obtain new clients. To be successful in that profession you need to work more than your 40 hours per week, you can't do it when ever it's convenient for you. Perhaps after being in the business for many years with an established book of business, but to get there you can't wait for the phone to ring.

Do we know for sure that Josh does investing? We know he is a Financial Advisor but that could mean he just help clients with planning for retirements and 401Ks and other things. A broker is one that invest their money. I may be wrong about this and maybe he does both I am not sure.
nannymargie
nannymargie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 79 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 55 ... 79  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Andi Dorfman & Josh Murray - Bachelorette 10 - General Discussion #2

+63
Longhornfan
livlafluv1
MiniDiva
sara11
tigertiz