SELECT CONTENT

Hannah Brown - Bachelorette 15 - Discussion #2

Page 51 of 80 Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 65 ... 80  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hannah Brown - Bachelorette 15 - Discussion #2 - Page 51 Empty Re: Hannah Brown - Bachelorette 15 - Discussion #2

Post by umngirl Mon May 18, 2020 3:33 pm

sdmom wrote:Can someone show me or tell me how Hannah made fun of Asians? TIA

Here’s the video of Hannah mimicking a standup act that was mocking a Vietnamese woman’s accent. For reference, this happened in 2018.

Video

Hannah Brown - Bachelorette 15 - Discussion #2 - Page 51 87b72b10 Hannah Brown - Bachelorette 15 - Discussion #2 - Page 51 86669110 Hannah Brown - Bachelorette 15 - Discussion #2 - Page 51 Fd795c10
umngirl
umngirl

Female Posts : 20215

Back to top Go down

Hannah Brown - Bachelorette 15 - Discussion #2 - Page 51 Empty Re: Hannah Brown - Bachelorette 15 - Discussion #2

Post by sdmom Mon May 18, 2020 4:26 pm

@umngirl thanks

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree"~ Martin Luther
sdmom
sdmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Mon May 18, 2020 5:15 pm

It will say a lot if that instagram story, which will disappear soon, is the only thing we get out of Hannah. The silence since has been deafening.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Kas_256 Mon May 18, 2020 5:26 pm

I do think Hannah will speak on this further but in my opinion she needs time herself to process everything that’s happened and the fall out from it all.

I honestly do think it was a huge mistake on her part however don’t think she’s a racist at all. Whilst she does have some people Supporting her she is also reviving a huge amount of hate and people telling her to “kill her self”
For her mental health I don’t blame her for staying off social media and staying quiet for a few days.

Kas_256

Back to top Go down

Post by FLChica Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm

I've always found use of the N-word to be offensive, whether its directed at a POC or used by a POC. Being culturally aware is  learned behavior and complicated as well IMO. Many don't understand why "white" people can help make multi-millionaires out of artists that sing these words by buying their products, watching their podcasts and attending their concerts, but must stop short of saying "the word" from the lyrics.

I laughed watching a clip of Snoop Dogg listening to "Let It Go" in his car the other day and I don't think people were offended when he called the music sh**. When Idina Menzel responded by singing Snoop's song "Drop It Like It's Hot", mistaking the word "hot" for "hard" - evidently no one was offended 'fo schizzle. Darren Knight has made millions mocking Southerners doing his "Southern Mommas" routine - evidently no one is offended. For reference, the Asian nail salon act has been around since 2007 and was the catalyst for the success of Mexican / Native American Angela Johnson's career. All interesting, IMO.

Good to know TC and MJ don't find their friend HB to be a racist. IMO.

PRIDE is concerned with WHO is right. Humility is concerned with what is right. 

** Tell the truth - even when it is unpopular. **
FLChica
FLChica

Female Posts : 1336

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Mon May 18, 2020 6:47 pm

FLChica wrote:I've always found use of the N-word to be offensive, whether its directed at a POC or used by a POC. Being culturally aware is  learned behavior and complicated as well IMO. Many don't understand why "white" people can help make multi-millionaires out of artists that sing these words by buying their products, watching their podcasts and attending their concerts, but must stop short of saying "the word" from the lyrics.

*Snipped*
Your example of arguments used by non-POC I bolded makes it seem like just because white people buy and listen to this music, it gives them the right to say the word. I've seen so many POC who were insulted over Hannah's use of the word, I feel uncomfortable with people trying to justify it just because it's a song lyric. Imo.

Last edited by Al on Mon May 18, 2020 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by bluwavz Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Hannah Brown and Rachel Lindsay Planned to Discuss N-Word Controversy Live Together, Source Says
https://www.etonline.com/hannah-brown-and-rachel-lindsay-planned-to-discuss-n-word-controversy-live-together-source-says
bluwavz
bluwavz
Access

Female Posts : 19233

Back to top Go down

Post by notarose Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 pm

Al wrote:
FLChica wrote:I've always found use of the N-word to be offensive, whether its directed at a POC or used by a POC. Being culturally aware is  learned behavior and complicated as well IMO. Many don't understand why "white" people can help make multi-millionaires out of artists that sing these words by buying their products, watching their podcasts and attending their concerts, but must stop short of saying "the word" from the lyrics.

*Snipped*
This makes it seem like just because white people buy and listen to this music, it gives them the right to say the word. I've seen so many POC who were insulted over Hannah's use of the word, I feel uncomfortable with people trying to justify it just because it's a song lyric. Imo.

Adding to your point, some music lovers choose to self-censor; for example, omit the f-word because it’s not a part of their typical vocabulary. Or they may enjoy a movie despite a character using language they may not use themselves.

from an empty moment something arrives
notarose
notarose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Mon May 18, 2020 7:28 pm

If I can't sing the song, then what is the point of listening to it? I have very eclectic musical tastes and can enjoy everything from classical/opera to the latest hits. Rap is my least favourite...for exactly these reasons. I find much of it very misongynistic and hateful and I don't need to listen to that...kind of like the news for the last 4 years.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Mon May 18, 2020 7:44 pm

@Sprite I think someone can still enjoy and sing along to a song while omitting a word here and there. I've done it lots of times.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveDovez Mon May 18, 2020 8:16 pm

Doats wrote:
alwayscooking wrote:I knew my comments would not be well received, maybe I'm coming across as I approve of Hannah's comments, which I do not.  So I'll just make this point and back out.

I find the N word vile, always have.  I think it's unacceptable for anyone to use no matter what, no matter what race you are.  IMO, I don't think musicians should use it, if you don't want anyone else to use it, don't use it yourself.    The point I was trying to make was bigger than Hannah.  Somewhere there is someone that is also hearing it and singing along thinking its acceptable because "hey, it's in the song".  If we ever want to move forward I think it needs to stop from everyone.  

@alwayscooking For what it's worth, I agree with you. NO ONE should use that word.

I agree with you both. I mean NO ONE should use it..I can't do something wrong in front of my grandchildren and expect them not to do it just because they see me as old....Same difference....Thank you both for stating what I've wanted to since this broke.
LoveDovez
LoveDovez

Female Posts : 4070

Back to top Go down

Post by FLChica Mon May 18, 2020 8:59 pm

Al wrote:

*Snipped*
The bottom half I bolded makes it seem like just because white people buy and listen to this music, it gives them the right to say the word. I've seen so many POC who were insulted over Hannah's use of the word, I feel uncomfortable with people trying to justify it just because it's a song lyric. Imo.

I bolded the first words of my post to make it very clear that I've always found the word to be offensive. That includes the prolific use of the word in music by POC. Perhaps you didn't direct your statement about "people trying to justify it" at me, but there's no attempt on my part to justify the use of the word by anyone, for any reason, at any time.

I choose to self-censor while listening to music or when watching movies and ridiculous reality tv shows. It's my choice and not one that I would try to impose on others. There are undoubtedly POC that were offended by Hannah choosing to sing that word. She posted an apology accepting full accountability for that poor choice with no attempt to justify how or why it happened. Not my opinion; her words.

PRIDE is concerned with WHO is right. Humility is concerned with what is right. 

** Tell the truth - even when it is unpopular. **
FLChica
FLChica

Female Posts : 1336

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 51 of 80 Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 65 ... 80  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Hannah Brown - Bachelorette 15 - Discussion #2

+77
CHO
iamreal2u
River57
Ilo
Idlemess