SELECT CONTENT

General Chit Chat - #2

Page 5 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

General Chit Chat - #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: General Chit Chat - #2

Post by GuardianAngel Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:01 pm

This is why the US Canada borders are closing Friday/Saturday.

How many people and how much trade crosses the border each day?

According to the U.S. State Department, nearly $2 billion (US) in goods and services crossed the U.S.-Canada border every day before COVID-19, with roughly 400,000 people travelling between the two countries daily.

Figures from Statistics Canada show that in February 2020 alone, almost 745,000 Americans drove across the border into Canada, and 1.6 million Canadians entered from the U.S. by car.

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9910991-can-a-canadian-still-get-home-what-closing-the-u-s-border-over-covid-19-means-for-you-and-your-family/#.XnOdyAG3xpE.twitter

General Chit Chat - #2 - Page 5 3552228123 for all the truckers that make sure our shelves are stocked.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71448

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:19 pm

A former coworker called me today and told me that the 2nd case here in London discovered yesterday is a neighbour of hers who works in the hospital. Her fever is 104 and she has to stay in hospital. Apparently a nurse had been travelling out of the country and called to work to tell them she was isolating herself because of that. They told her she had to come in or she would be fired! She has now also been diagnosed. Who knows how many other people will be effected because of that.

That is one of the things we have been asking our union president...If one of the people we support gets sick, we are obligated to go to work regardless. Obviously even stricter safety measures would be put in place, but if we get sick as a result would we be entitled to WSIB?

As if all that wasn't enough, today as I was walking the dog around the community center behind my house, I see barricades in some of the parking spots in front of the playground and the skate park. Then I spot a couple of police cars and security in masks. I stop to ask what was going on...although I already had a suspicion...they are testing for the corona virus at the community center. They have also set up drive through testing at the back of the parking lot with workers in full hazmat suits! Crazy! At least if I feel sick I won't have far to go!!!

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:19 am

@Sprite that's crazy. I'm sure she'll have a good legal case.

Anyone in the medical field that gets infected from one of their patients I would think would get compensated in one of the many programs introduced the other day by PM Trudeau as well as the employer's sick benefit plan.

I think WSIB is only for "injured" at the workplace.

My head hurts wondering how many more are out there. He returned the week "before" our March break. There are many returning Saturday and I won't be surprised to read more next week.

Toronto man David Anzarouth began experiencing flu-like symptoms after he returned home from a vacation in South Beach in Miami, Fla. on March 11.
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/i-felt-flattened-canadian-with-covid-19-describes-what-it-s-like-to-have-the-virus-1.4861284

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lettore Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:46 pm

I am sure you have already seen many videos about what flattenning the curve means, but I find this video simple for understanding if someone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgBla7RepXU

Having many friends in Italy I am aware of importance of avoiding that scenario, so the sooner people take it seriously the better. Still we have examples of people who do not seem to care, there was one married couple with mild symptomps who was tested positive in Paris and immediately afterwards they boarded the plane and went to another European city not telling anyone, who knows how many people they infected on that plane...I just can't understand that.

lettore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:13 pm

Today the number of cases in London ON doubled. We had 5 yesterday and today we are up to 11! The city has declared a state of emergency. Basically that allows them access to more funding which it looks as if we will need.

For our group home I am the one out and about the most and probably the most exposed. So far our staff are holding up well. You try to take as many precautions as possible. My hands are a mess from all the gloves and washing. Praying that none of the people we support get sick!

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by sdmom Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:17 pm

@Sprite you stay healthy!

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree"~ Martin Luther
sdmom
sdmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:33 pm

sdmom wrote:@Sprite you stay healthy!

I am trying. We are not declared essential services anymore, but we are and should be.

Our ED has told us that no new vacation requests will be permitted till at least the end of April. Depending how things go, that could be extended. If you already had your vacation approved, you can still go, but since all travel has pretty much been stopped, some people have said they won't go and will continue working. All of our programs have been cancelled and only accommodation services are open. People from the programs have been reassigned to train in accommodations since they figure chances are someone is going to get sick from this and they will need trained staff.

We get fitted for masks every year just in case of something like this, but those are being held until someone actually comes down with this. They have been preparing for something like this for years...really since that huge power outage that happened in 2003. I hope we don't have to find out if they are as prepared as they thought.

Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:14 am

@Sprite Sprite - Be safe and how lucky your residents are to have you.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5304

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:15 am

We held a family group FaceTime today - Happy Hour, although we were in lots of different time zones, states and even countries! Interesting to hear what is happening in various places and how strict local governments are with people being on the streets, despite the lockdown.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5304

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:42 am

@Sprite Have they disallowed visitor's? I hope so.

@Norcalgal I think they should impose fines on everyone. In Ontario business's will be fined if they don't comply. Millions of people are following the rules, then there are those who think it's no big deal or overblown.

I just read an article from Quebec City, where they arrested someone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-police-arrest-covid-19-1.5505349

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sdmom Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:11 pm

It’s not technically Lockdown, because people can still go out for essential business, including exercising, as long as they keep proper distance.

I don’t know if stricter enforcement will come if it’s getting worse. I hope not.
It’s sunny here in San Diego. I will go out for jogging/fast walking.
Try to enjoy the sun while I can.

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree"~ Martin Luther
sdmom
sdmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:26 pm

GuardianAngel wrote:@Sprite Have they disallowed visitor's? I hope so.

snipped...

Yes. Only staff are allowed. We go out for walks and the drive thru at Tim Horton's and that is about it, unless someone gets sick and has to go see a doctor. It is difficult keeping them occupied because they are used to going out to restaurants, movies, bowling, swimming, shopping etc. and they don't understand that we have a pandemic and everything is closed. This is the first full week without activities and the behaviours are starting to come out! Fingers crossed.

Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

General Chit Chat - #2

+24
Fleurdesel