SELECT CONTENT

Off Topic/Miscellaneous Subjects - Discussion

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Off Topic/Miscellaneous Subjects - Discussion - Page 11 Empty Re: Off Topic/Miscellaneous Subjects - Discussion

Post by IrishGal Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:24 pm

I have to laugh. I drink water all day long. I am nervous about tap water but I'm lucky enough to have a filtered "water thru the door" refrigerator. However, I do buy cases of bottled water for when I am in the car traveling which I do a lot. Recently I happened to examine the label on the bottled water I was drinking. It came from the Sacramento municipal water district. In other words it was tap water. Man did I feel like a total idiot! No longer buying that brand. Does anyone know where PW's water comes from? I assume they have to display that on the label? :Smiley:

Team Kaitlin!  Team Booth!
IrishGal
IrishGal

Female Posts : 3010

Back to top Go down

Off Topic/Miscellaneous Subjects - Discussion - Page 11 Empty Re: Off Topic/Miscellaneous Subjects - Discussion

Post by Chacharo Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:21 am

IrishGal wrote:I have to laugh. I drink water all day long. I am nervous about tap water but I'm lucky enough to have a filtered "water thru the door" refrigerator. However, I do buy cases of bottled water for when I am in the car traveling which I do a lot. Recently I happened to examine the label on the bottled water I was drinking. It came from the Sacramento municipal water district. In other words it was tap water. Man did I feel like a total idiot! No longer buying that brand. Does anyone know where PW's water comes from? I assume they have to display that on the label? :Smiley:

That's a good story. (I'm laughing with you.) Someone said awhile back in one of these discussions that it was stated on The View that up to 40% of bottled water is tap water. I've read elsewhere up to 25%. Still a pretty big percent either way.

As far as PW, I think I read on their website that it's "natural spring water." I've been really curious where it comes from myself. Try Googling - it will boggle your mind. Here's a quote from a website I was reading about water.

"Spring water" must be produced from a natural spring. A spring is a location where water flows naturally to earth's surface. In the past many people believed that spring water was special because it emerged from the ground and had not been used before. However, the processes which form springs are now well understood and the water that flows from them is simply ground water with no special qualities.

http://geology.com/articles/bottled-water.shtml This is actually kind of interesting about bottled water, if your interested in that sort of thing. :Smiley:

Who knows? The whole bottled water thing makes me a little craycray. Hugesmile
Chacharo
Chacharo

Back to top Go down

Post by mnmhughes Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:42 am

realityfan26 wrote:Our local high school installed a water bottle friendly water fountain. The fountain offers chilled water and calculates the number of disposable bottles saved from a landfill. So far they're up to 12,000 and I believe it's only been operational since spring.
Good way for kids to see what an impact using reusable bottles makes. yes

What a really cool idea! If we want to see a change in the world, we have to start with our children.
mnmhughes
mnmhughes

Female Posts : 8112

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:40 am

mnmhughes wrote:
realityfan26 wrote:Our local high school installed a water bottle friendly water fountain. The fountain offers chilled water and calculates the number of disposable bottles saved from a landfill. So far they're up to 12,000 and I believe it's only been operational since spring.
Good way for kids to see what an impact using reusable bottles makes. yes

What a really cool idea! If we want to see a change in the world, we have to start with our children.
After I posted that, I found out thru my son that the dorms at his college were adding these fountains on each floor.

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishGal Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:52 am

Chacharo wrote:
IrishGal wrote:I have to laugh. I drink water all day long. I am nervous about tap water but I'm lucky enough to have a filtered "water thru the door" refrigerator. However, I do buy cases of bottled water for when I am in the car traveling which I do a lot. Recently I happened to examine the label on the bottled water I was drinking. It came from the Sacramento municipal water district. In other words it was tap water. Man did I feel like a total idiot! No longer buying that brand. Does anyone know where PW's water comes from? I assume they have to display that on the label? :Smiley:

That's a good story. (I'm laughing with you.) Someone said awhile back in one of these discussions that it was stated on The View that up to 40% of bottled water is tap water. I've read elsewhere up to 25%. Still a pretty big percent either way.

As far as PW, I think I read on their website that it's "natural spring water." I've been really curious where it comes from myself. Try Googling - it will boggle your mind. Here's a quote from a website I was reading about water.

"Spring water" must be produced from a natural spring. A spring is a location where water flows naturally to earth's surface. In the past many people believed that spring water was special because it emerged from the ground and had not been used before. However, the processes which form springs are now well understood and the water that flows from them is simply ground water with no special qualities.

http://geology.com/articles/bottled-water.shtml This is actually kind of interesting about bottled water, if your interested in that sort of thing. :Smiley:

Who knows? The whole bottled water thing makes me a little craycray. Hugesmile

Thanks. Love that article. Shows that bottled water is a total scam, at least here in the USA. no no
IrishGal
IrishGal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:29 am

Since the convo is about spring water, this info about springs in Arkansas might interest someone.

The city of Hot Springs takes its name from the natural thermal water that flows from 47 springs on the western slope of Hot Springs Mountain in the historic downtown district of the city. About a million gallons of 143-degree water flow from the springs each day. The rate of flow is not affected by fluctuations in the rainfall in the area. Studies by National Park Service scientists have determined through carbon dating that the water that reaches the surface in Hot Springs fell as rainfall in an as-yet undetermined watershed 4,000 years earlier. The water percolates very slowly down through the earth’s surface until it reaches superheated areas deep in the crust and then rushes rapidly to the surface to emerge from the 47 hot springs.
A small channel of hot spring water known as Hot Springs Creek runs under ground from an area near Park Avenue to Bath House Row.

From www.geology.arkansas.gov
A spring is a place where ground water flows naturally from rock, sediment or soil onto the land surface. Its presence depends on the nature and relationship of permeable and impermeable units, on the position of the water table and on the land topography. Springs are present throughout Arkansas and consist of two general types: perennial and seasonal. Perennial springs flow year round whereas seasonal or “wet weather” springs dry up periodically, especially during droughts or long periods of minimal rainfall. In Arkansas these conditions often occur during late summer and early fall.

Most of the perennial springs in Arkansas with the largest flows are located in the Ozark Plateaus region. With an average flow about 150,000 GPM, Mammoth Spring in Fulton County has the largest yield of any spring in the state. In this region, springs have historically been important community water sources. Most north Arkansas communities have now begun to abandon natural springs as water supplies because shallow springs are susceptible to contaminants from the surface.

Perennial springs also occur in the Ouachita Mountains, most of these are considered “cold” (temperatures of less than 80 degrees F). Some of these cold springs are important sources of bottled water. However, there are areas of hot-water springs such as those of Hot Springs National Park where water temperatures average 143 degrees F. The quality or purity of spring water can vary depending on which part of the state the spring occurs in, just like with surface water. Spring water from the Interior Highlands tends to be of higher quality than that from the Gulf Coastal Plain.

Photo: Discharge from a cave opening at Blanchard Springs. Flow can vary between 1,000 to 103,000 gallons per minute depending on local rainfall.
Off Topic/Miscellaneous Subjects - Discussion - Page 11 Discharge

Back to top Go down

Post by Chacharo Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks for sharing that, nanab. Makes me jealous - I'm smack dab in the middle of the worst drought in the US in decades. The lake where I have sailed for 33 years is somewhere around 6' below normal level. It's so shallow in spots that all the larger sailboats have been pulled out of the water to dry dock. It's a man-made lake that was built about 45 years ago and is used for about 50% of the water supply for the city nearby. It makes me sad and scared to see it like it is now.

IrishGal, I probably wouldn't call bottled water a "scam" but it does make one think about what's in the bottle once you start thinking about it. :Biggrin:

So, I got curious after seeing that stuff about water in Arkansas and wondered about water in Utah. I thought this was interesting info from the Utah Dept. of Agriculture and Food. I'm not sure quite what to make of it - it sounds as though the regulatory bodies (both federal and state?) are too busy to make sure that the labels and advertising follow the laws. It did remind me of seeing the movie "127 hours" and the scene where they dropped from the canyon walls into that water below - that must have been spring water. I need a vacay - should probably go somewhere that water is plentiful so I can remind myself that not everyone has big cracks in their lawn.

http://ag.utah.gov/divisions/regulatory/water.html
Chacharo
Chacharo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:43 am

Chacharo wrote:Thanks for sharing that, nanab. Makes me jealous - I'm smack dab in the middle of the worst drought in the US in decades. The lake where I have sailed for 33 years is somewhere around 6' below normal level. It's so shallow in spots that all the larger sailboats have been pulled out of the water to dry dock. It's a man-made lake that was built about 45 years ago and is used for about 50% of the water supply for the city nearby. It makes me sad and scared to see it like it is now.

IrishGal, I probably wouldn't call bottled water a "scam" but it does make one think about what's in the bottle once you start thinking about it. :Biggrin:

So, I got curious after seeing that stuff about water in Arkansas and wondered about water in Utah. I thought this was interesting info from the Utah Dept. of Agriculture and Food. I'm not sure quite what to make of it - it sounds as though the regulatory bodies (both federal and state?) are too busy to make sure that the labels and advertising follow the laws. It did remind me of seeing the movie "127 hours" and the scene where they dropped from the canyon walls into that water below - that must have been spring water. I need a vacay - should probably go somewhere that water is plentiful so I can remind myself that not everyone has big cracks in their lawn.

I guess as long as we don't start drinking pool water we are safe. Hmm...pool water, pee water, people water?

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by Chacharo Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:55 am

Kashathediva wrote:
Chacharo wrote:Thanks for sharing that, nanab. Makes me jealous - I'm smack dab in the middle of the worst drought in the US in decades. The lake where I have sailed for 33 years is somewhere around 6' below normal level. It's so shallow in spots that all the larger sailboats have been pulled out of the water to dry dock. It's a man-made lake that was built about 45 years ago and is used for about 50% of the water supply for the city nearby. It makes me sad and scared to see it like it is now.

I guess as long as we don't start drinking pool water we are safe. Hmm...pool water, pee water, people water?

rotfl

Thanks, I needed that laugh!
Chacharo
Chacharo

Back to top Go down

Post by Peppermom Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:14 pm

Kashathediva wrote:

spitcoffee In trouble at work again. cantstopl

Tough times don't last, tough people do.  Life is a journey, not a destination.
Peppermom
Peppermom

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishGal Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Sorry to hear about your drought, Chacharo. Hope you get healing rains soon!

Team Kaitlin!  Team Booth!
IrishGal
IrishGal

Back to top Go down

Post by Chacharo Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:55 pm

IrishGal wrote:Sorry to hear about your drought, Chacharo. Hope you get healing rains soon!

Thank you. bestbud!

The news today said we needed almost 11 inches of rain to get us out of the drought and up to 19 inches a few hours north of here. It's frightening. I worry about being able to get enough hay for my one horse. I don't know how people are managing that have more. A lot of the cattle herds are way down in numbers because the pastures are dead and the hay production is way down. The price of beef is expected to go up, as well as other things. We thought it was bad last year, and it's only gotten worse this year. It just affects so many things it's unbelievable.
Chacharo
Chacharo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Off Topic/Miscellaneous Subjects - Discussion

+32
cimcoe
Peppermom
mnmhughes
IrishGal
missmilano