SELECT CONTENT

Ashley and JP Rosenbaum - Discussion - Fan Forum

Page 11 of 39 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 39  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ashley and JP Rosenbaum - Discussion - Fan Forum  - Page 11 Empty Re: Ashley and JP Rosenbaum - Discussion - Fan Forum

Post by cfck2222 Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:09 pm

anders wrote:I don't believe that at all - I would never assume that ABC would give up the potential for higher ratings, had it been on up against some repeat programming that will be coming this week they could've done much better in the night's standings.

The franchise isn't doing well and not to put this wedding (which will likely be the last wedding for a very long time) on where it can capitalize on the audience they do have is just poor business.

ETA: that wedding was promo'ed to the hilt for the week prior - they weren't doing that to not viewership. They prolly just thought they would do better.
This week wasn't an option though: they have special episodes of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Monday, Christmas programming and scripted originals Tuesday, Christmas programming (including CMA Country Christmas) Thursday, and Friday is a low rated night. The Wednesday comedy block is in reruns but, Modern Family is their star show and they weren't going to bump that for a Bach/ette franchise show. They also have The Sound Of Music this Sunday from 7-11 PM which always draws pretty well the weekend before Christmas.

Monday would have been logical in that people are used to watching Bach/ette on Monday nights but, ABC's been running Extreme Makeover: Home Edition for the holidays (it ran the show this past Monday and it is running the show this Monday too). No way Bach/ette programming takes precedence over that. Tuesday is ABC's weakest night, with ratings comparable to what the wedding got. But, between The Voice and NCIS, the wedding wasn't likely to do a whole lot better.

Like I said, a strong piece of evidence that ABC was basically giving up on ratings for the wedding is evidence by the fact that the wedding's lead in was so weak. If ABC believed in the wedding's ratings potential, they would have put on something that was a better match of audience and a higher ratings grabber. Instead, the wedding had to build audience from a low rated lead in. I wouldn't be surprised if ABC had been hoping for 5 million instead of the 3.5 million or so they got, and I do think they were trying to counterprogram against football and Survivor with a female-friendly program.

I don't think we disagree too much. I just think ABC would have behaved differently if they really thought they had a ratings hit here, and these things are often a self-fulfilling prophecy. You're right that this was an opportunity to give some positive publicity to the Bach/ette franchise but, I just don't think that's ABC's priority anymore. They're in that part of the cycle where their formerly buzzy shows (like Grey's Anatomy, DWTS, and the Bach/ette) have aged and other than their Wednesday night and maybe Sunday night blocks, they're a network that's somewhat in trouble.
cfck2222
cfck2222

Back to top Go down

Ashley and JP Rosenbaum - Discussion - Fan Forum  - Page 11 Empty Re: Ashley and JP Rosenbaum - Discussion - Fan Forum

Post by Love_Me Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Do you think their wedding would of had better ratings had it aired today (Monday)?

ETA: There is a football game tonight, but it is shown on ESPN.
Love_Me
Love_Me

Female Posts : 32393

Back to top Go down

Post by NCGalBecca Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:40 pm

I do - and agree that the special should have been given any of the Monday night slots. Even the previous Sunday night might have produced better ratings. The Hallmark movie that aired really wasn't one of the better ones.

Last edited by NCGalBecca on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

One faces the future with one's past. - Pearl Buck
NCGalBecca
NCGalBecca

Female Posts : 1904

Back to top Go down

Post by cimcoe Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Love_Me wrote:Do you think their wedding would of had better ratings had it aired today (Monday)?

I think it would have done better tonight, and think it was a dumb move not to air it on a Monday instead of last night. Yeah I know EMHE specials are running on Mondays, but they have not been doing well so far (4 million range, 0.9 to 1.0 demo) so I think for this one week had they switched EMHE to last night... on a night it traditionally aired... and the wedding special tonight, on a night Bach traditionally airs, perhaps both shows would have done better.

That being said, it doesn't really matter to me that it didn't get good ratings since I don't care what happens to the franchise at this point. I like Ashley and JP so I'm happy for them that they got their dream wedding that was all expenses paid, and I hope they got the reported 250K on top of it too. Take the money and run Ash and JP! giggling Those two are going to be just fine. As for Fleiss and company, well I just don't give a damn about them. :laughingoutlou
cimcoe
cimcoe

Female Posts : 1154

Back to top Go down

Post by albean99 Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:47 pm

Sunday's an odd choice but I don't know if it would have been better tonight with the Voice final performances. I thought ratings would be better but we watched football when we got home later & I taped the show, missed the last 1/2 hr. :Frown:

"Love is the Only Reality" -Ed Lambton
albean99
albean99

Female Posts : 15305

Back to top Go down

Post by lovebachelorette2012 Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:27 am

albean99 wrote:Sunday's an odd choice but I don't know if it would have been better tonight with the Voice final performances. I thought ratings would be better but we watched football when we got home later & I taped the show, missed the last 1/2 hr. :Frown:

You can watch full episode on www.abc.com from last night. So you wont missed the last 1/2 hr. :Smiley:

lovebachelorette2012

Female Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess81320 Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:38 am

lovebachelorette2012 wrote:
albean99 wrote:Sunday's an odd choice but I don't know if it would have been better tonight with the Voice final performances. I thought ratings would be better but we watched football when we got home later & I taped the show, missed the last 1/2 hr. :Frown:

You can watch full episode on www.abc.com from last night. So you wont missed the last 1/2 hr. :Smiley:

Also you can watch it again on Sunday at 8 on E!

Team Cupcake :27:

Ashley and JP Rosenbaum - Discussion - Fan Forum  - Page 11 Fgbbb

Team SeanCat 🐘

"If something's meant to be, it will happen.. in the right time, with the right person and for the best reason."
 Ashley and JP Rosenbaum - Discussion - Fan Forum  - Page 11 394620_10150508901589239_141439374238_8542780_758788939_n
Princess81320
Princess81320

Female Posts : 664

Back to top Go down

Post by anders Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:15 am

cfck2222 wrote: Like I said, a strong piece of evidence that ABC was basically giving up on ratings for the wedding is evidence by the fact that the wedding's lead in was so weak. If ABC believed in the wedding's ratings potential, they would have put on something that was a better match of audience and a higher ratings grabber. Instead, the wedding had to build audience from a low rated lead in. I wouldn't be surprised if ABC had been hoping for 5 million instead of the 3.5 million or so they got, and I do think they were trying to counterprogram against football and Survivor with a female-friendly program.

I don't think we disagree too much. I just think ABC would have behaved differently if they really thought they had a ratings hit here, and these things are often a self-fulfilling prophecy. You're right that this was an opportunity to give some positive publicity to the Bach/ette franchise but, I just don't think that's ABC's priority anymore. They're in that part of the cycle where their formerly buzzy shows (like Grey's Anatomy, DWTS, and the Bach/ette) have aged and other than their Wednesday night and maybe Sunday night blocks, they're a network that's somewhat in trouble.

Maybe they didn't think they had a huge ratings hit, but to not put it in a spot where they can draw the biggest audience is poor business. I'll never believe they conceded it would be a flop in the ratings and just decided to plug it in a spot that clearly wasn't going to draw a bigger audience - poor business (i know, I know - broken record). ABC typically does well overall, especially against NBC - so they clearly could've picked a better night and time slot to at least keep themselves ahead of NBC.

As to the lead in theory - I know it does matter, but not to the degree it used to in the past. it used to play a much bigger role before the invention of the remote control - whereas now, being able to change the channel doesn't mean having to get up. I'll sometimes catch a show if it's a lead in, or lead out simply because I've already looked to see there really is nothing else worth watching.

anyway - I ramble this morning. Not sure what Ben's ratings were, but the summer 'ette series have always rated lower because they are in the summer - it'll be interesting to see how Sean season's does.

I'd love to know how our Bach Canada rated - I believe they're already discussing another season.

“No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see affraid
anders
anders

Back to top Go down

Post by cfck2222 Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:22 pm

cimcoe wrote:
Love_Me wrote:Do you think their wedding would of had better ratings had it aired today (Monday)?

I think it would have done better tonight, and think it was a dumb move not to air it on a Monday instead of last night. Yeah I know EMHE specials are running on Mondays, but they have not been doing well so far (4 million range, 0.9 to 1.0 demo) so I think for this one week had they switched EMHE to last night... on a night it traditionally aired... and the wedding special tonight, on a night Bach traditionally airs, perhaps both shows would have done better.

That being said, it doesn't really matter to me that it didn't get good ratings since I don't care what happens to the franchise at this point. I like Ashley and JP so I'm happy for them that they got their dream wedding that was all expenses paid, and I hope they got the reported 250K on top of it too. Take the money and run Ash and JP! giggling Those two are going to be just fine. As for Fleiss and company, well I just don't give a damn about them. :laughingoutlou
Haha, I agree with this whole post! The irony of me getting into a discussion about the ratings is that I, too, only really cared about Ashley and JP getting the wedding they wanted and hopefully a nice payday on top of that.

Love_Me, I think it's possible the wedding would've scored better ratings on Monday but, The Voice is in finale week so it would've been tough, plus there was Monday Night Football (a pretty meaningless game that was a comedy of errors but still, it's football). I also think the wedding special was always going to have a tough time because Bach/ette viewers aren't in the weekly habit of watching right now: the Bach'ette finale was in July, Bach Pad was done in what, early September? The ratings would be better if they came after ATFR of a Bach or Bach'ette season. But, that would've meant a different wedding date.

anders wrote:Maybe they didn't think they had a huge ratings hit, but to not put it in a spot where they can draw the biggest audience is poor business. I'll never believe they conceded it would be a flop in the ratings and just decided to plug it in a spot that clearly wasn't going to draw a bigger audience - poor business (i know, I know - broken record). ABC typically does well overall, especially against NBC - so they clearly could've picked a better night and time slot to at least keep themselves ahead of NBC.
I see what you're saying and I do think the schedule shift cimcoe suggested might've resulted in better ratings of EM:HE and the wedding for better business overall. But as far as just sticking the wedding on a Sunday night where it had next to no chance of good ratings being bad business, that's true only if ABC really didn't see a spot to move the wedding that wouldn't compromise its other higher priority programming.

I think that was my main point: the way the wedding was treated by ABC is indicative of how it sees the Bach/ette franchise: past its prime and on the wane. As far as Ben F's season, the first 7 weeks were lower rated than Ashley's season in total viewers and the demo, then weeks 8 and 9 were slightly higher, and the final/ATFR were a bit higher in the adults 18-49 demo and comparable in total viewers. Both seasons were considered underperformances, and then Emily's Bach'ette season didn't bring much of a turnaround.

NBC has been smoking ABC all season on Mondays and Tuesdays because of The Voice and Revolution (especially in the adults 18-49 demo) and Sundays because of football. ABC obviously wins Wednesdays with its comedy block, and ABC has weakish but buzzier (and higher rated than NBC) programming Thursdays. Fridays and Saturdays are not high viewership days. There actually wasn't a night where the wedding could have done better than NBC that wouldn't have sacrificed ABC's few areas of strength.
cfck2222
cfck2222

Back to top Go down

Post by causingchaos Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:38 am

If it was aired any other night of the week other than Sunday I probably wouldn't have watched it at all honestly. It was not on my "to do" list. I just didn't care that much. I'm not going to watch Sean's season unless it falls on a night when absolutely nothing else is on because I just don't care that much. I'm an apathetic bachelor viewer honestly. It's just not that entertaining for me anymore (same drama over and over and over again). If I didn't come to this board I would have honestly forgot about Ashley and JP and been like oh yeah that couple who were they again?

People who participate in bachelor discussions tend to forget that to the rest of the world these people don't really matter once their season has ended. I can't name a single person I know that watched the wedding. Not because they don't watch bachelor but because... who really cares (that's the answer I got).

The franchise has steadily waning. I agree with that. Putting a one shot show any place but like a Sunday doesn't make any sense to me honestly.

causingchaos

Back to top Go down

Post by anders Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:18 am

so far I've only watched the actual ceremony, and will only watch the rest if I feel the urge.

Sean's season will be on the same night the bach/ette has been on for several seasons - Monday.

“No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see affraid
anders
anders

Back to top Go down

Post by NCGalBecca Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:16 pm

I am curious as to why they didn't pick a better "date" for it as well. If they had such low expectations for the special, why not put it up against against the college football national championship on 1/7 instead of having Sean's season debut then? I am just guessing but it seems if they were footing the bill for the wedding, they could have dictated when it was filmed so that they had the content and PR to use at their prerogative to optimize their investment. I guess the holiday timeline affected promotional campaigns though.

While it was great to see a happy outcome, as someone up thread pointed out, I also think there was too much exposure and lag between when the wedding occurred and when it aired. Practically, every detail had been revealed before they showed it.

Maybe the purpose was to offer up some positive sentiment before Sean's season airs seeing as they have had some big breakups in the past year. There is a lot of negativity about the franchise on the web and given its age, I am not sure it can be reversed. Still, it's cheap to produce so it may have a little shelf life left until something better comes along.

One faces the future with one's past. - Pearl Buck
NCGalBecca
NCGalBecca

Female Posts : 1904

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 39 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 39  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Ashley and JP Rosenbaum - Discussion - Fan Forum

+107
Georgia Lindsay
bluwavz
sosleepy
BachfanNY
melrose