SELECT CONTENT

Bachelor 19 - Chris Soules - General Discussion - *Spoilers*

Page 28 of 80 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 54 ... 80  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bachelor 19 - Chris Soules -  General Discussion - *Spoilers* - Page 28 Empty Re: Bachelor 19 - Chris Soules - General Discussion - *Spoilers*

Post by Cecilia Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:54 pm

noobsleuth wrote:I just baffled by this Bach choice. What the heck is production thinking?

This has nothing to do with Chris being a nice, good, wholesome, wealthy guy, whatever. They picked (or allegedly) picked a farmer. A farmer! The most physically demanding and time consuming occupation on the planet. You wake up, you farm, and you do that until the sun sets. It's not 9-5 M-F, it's 365 days a year. Good luck ever going on a vacation again. I say this as someone with extended family who own a very large farming operation. It's leaving parties and family functions on weekend afternoons to go back to work at the farm until dark. All of the boys married women they met through farming who are already familiar with the lifestyle.

My only conclusion would be that Chris isn't technically a farmer. As one would not be able to leave for extended periods of time to go on TV to find a wife. I can see, I guess, how it fits nicely into a storyline. Hopefully they cast some early risers! I'll be interested to see if Chris has thoughts about moving away from home. A true test to the women would be to move them all in next door to his parents, wake them all up at the crack of dawn every single day, have them do the work that Chris' mom does every single day, and see if they want to stay. Allowing them the torture of driving an hour to the closest Target optional.

I'm really trying to be serious and realistic. This is a real stink of a situation for production. Either Chris gives a little on where he lives or it's going to take a very special woman to make this a legitimate match.

I agree with the bolded. But viewers really liked him on Andi's season (not me) and he is allegedly a millionaire. That being said, unless TBTB find a few women who actually want to move to small town Iowa and be a homemaker, I don't see a marriage out of this one. But I will give it a shot, because, who am I kidding, I always watch, even if I don't spend time on the Boards unless I really like a contestant.
Cecilia
Cecilia

Female Posts : 2283

Back to top Go down

Bachelor 19 - Chris Soules -  General Discussion - *Spoilers* - Page 28 Empty Re: Bachelor 19 - Chris Soules - General Discussion - *Spoilers*

Post by ironcat Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:01 pm

I think the fact that he is able to take the amount of time off he is taking is a pretty good indication that Chris isn't just a "farmer".  That plus I don't think that most farmers who need to be up at dawn every single day to work their own land are multimillionaires.  Aren't we subsidizing the small ones with our taxpayer money because they need it?  I assume Chris' situation is far different.  He even mentioned to Andi that he does quite a bit of traveling in his work, so I suspect he's more of a businessman/entrepreneur, but calling him a farmer is more "romantic".

Also, there are plenty of other occupations, particularly the ones that pay very well, that require long hours and working on weekends.  Very few "career jobs" are 9-5, five days a week.  Of course, the average Bachelor participant tends to be "underemployed", and so has a lot of free time to famewhore.  Hugesmile

ironcat

Back to top Go down

Post by noobsleuth Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Cecilia wrote:
noobsleuth wrote:I just baffled by this Bach choice. What the heck is production thinking?
noobsleuth wrote:

This has nothing to do with Chris being a nice, good, wholesome, wealthy guy, whatever. They picked (or allegedly) picked a farmer. A farmer! The most physically demanding and time consuming occupation on the planet. You wake up, you farm, and you do that until the sun sets. It's not 9-5 M-F, it's 365 days a year. Good luck ever going on a vacation again. I say this as someone with extended family who own a very large farming operation. It's leaving parties and family functions on weekend afternoons to go back to work at the farm until dark. All of the boys married women they met through farming who are already familiar with the lifestyle.

My only conclusion would be that Chris isn't technically a farmer. As one would not be able to leave for extended periods of time to go on TV to find a wife. I can see, I guess, how it fits nicely into a storyline. Hopefully they cast some early risers! I'll be interested to see if Chris has thoughts about moving away from home. A true test to the women would be to move them all in next door to his parents, wake them all up at the crack of dawn every single day, have them do the work that Chris' mom does every single day, and see if they want to stay. Allowing them the torture of driving an hour to the closest Target optional.

I'm really trying to be serious and realistic. This is a real stink of a situation for production. Either Chris gives a little on where he lives or it's going to take a very special woman to make this a legitimate match.

I agree with the bolded.  But viewers really liked him on Andi's season (not me) and he is allegedly a millionaire.  That being said, unless TBTB find a few women who actually want to move to small town Iowa and be a homemaker, I don't see a marriage out of this one.  But I will give it a shot, because, who am I kidding, I always watch, even if I don't spend time on the Boards unless I really like a contestant.

I agree that he's likable, he seems like a very sweet and caring man. I'm also not surprised that he's a millionaire or that his parent's farm is worth millions (however they quantify that). That's how it is for my family as well.

I doubt Chris is looking for a homemaker right away. I imagine he's looking for someone to help grow the business with him depending on how much he wants to still be involved. I didn't see his hometown so I don't know if he has other siblings who are also active in the business. Maybe he's hoping at some point it will be big enough to incorporate which then Chris could have a more 9-5 position doing more operational/financial type stuff and essentially hire other people to run the farm and be the "farmers". (if they haven't already, again I didn't see his HTD) Maybe he liked that Andi seemed more business savvy and less farm hand.  giggling 

Bachelor 19 - Chris Soules -  General Discussion - *Spoilers* - Page 28 Drew112
noobsleuth
noobsleuth

Female Posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post by noobsleuth Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:24 pm

ironcat wrote:I think the fact that he is able to take the amount of time off he is taking is a pretty good indication that Chris isn't just a "farmer".  That plus I don't think that most farmers who need to be up at dawn every single day to work their own land are multimillionaires.  Aren't we subsidizing the small ones with our taxpayer money because they need it?  I assume Chris' situation is far different.  He even mentioned to Andi that he does quite a bit of traveling in his work, so I suspect he's more of a businessman/entrepreneur, but calling him a farmer is more "romantic".

Also, there are plenty of other occupations, particularly the ones that pay very well, that require long hours and working on weekends.  Very few "career jobs" are 9-5, five days a week.  Of course, the average Bachelor participant tends to be "underemployed", and so has a lot of free time to famewhore.  Hugesmile

This is what I was wondering. My family's farm isn't incorporated. They don't have a headquarters... they literally live on the farm which is how I assumed it was for Chris and his family. If they live on the farm then yes, I believe they are the ones getting up early every single day running the place so they have the goods to sell. I'm not really familiar with what Chris does, but I doubt it's farming. It makes more sense now that you mentioned he told Andi he travels a lot for job. That in itself makes this whole thing a little more plausible. All that to say I think that Chris and his parents serve different purposes.

I agree that calling him a farmer is for the storyline... like Emily was just a coal miner's daughter.

noobsleuth
noobsleuth

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:28 pm

noobsleuth wrote:
Cecilia wrote:
noobsleuth wrote:

I agree with the bolded.  But viewers really liked him on Andi's season (not me) and he is allegedly a millionaire.  That being said, unless TBTB find a few women who actually want to move to small town Iowa and be a homemaker, I don't see a marriage out of this one.  But I will give it a shot, because, who am I kidding, I always watch, even if I don't spend time on the Boards unless I really like a contestant.

I agree that he's likable, he seems like a very sweet and caring man. I'm also not surprised that he's a millionaire or that his parent's farm is worth millions (however they quantify that). That's how it is for my family as well.

I doubt Chris is looking for a homemaker right away. I imagine he's looking for someone to help grow the business with him depending on how much he wants to still be involved. I didn't see his hometown so I don't know if he has other siblings who are also active in the business. Maybe he's hoping at some point it will be big enough to incorporate which then Chris could have a more 9-5 position doing more operational/financial type stuff and essentially hire other people to run the farm and be the "farmers". (if they haven't already, again I didn't see his HTD) Maybe he liked that Andi seemed more business savvy and less farm hand.  giggling 

Noob, loved that you chimed in with your 2 cents worth, especially the bolded.
It appeared during Chris' HTD from his sisters' pov that Chris was integral for the current state of affairs with the family business. They alluded several times at how his innovative ideas benefitted them. It appeared it was a close knit family and that at least some of the sibs were still involved.

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertiz Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:56 pm

At least there is usually some basis for the criticism and sarcasm....other than the mans profession...which happens to be admirable in my book.
I have no problem with his profession. It doesnt matter to me whether he works 9- 5 or travels alot , or not. It's nice that he can travel. But you cant travel all that much from September to June , once you have kids in school.

It's his remote location that is a huge problem. Ree Drummond's ranch (Pioneer Woman) is one hour from Tulsa, in an area that does not have months of snow and ice to double that drive time. Alot of women who did not grow up on a farm would be able to manage that, with enough money to soften the lonely lifestyle. I'm not saying it would be easy, but certainly possible.
I just dont think it's believable that TPTB would cast even 6-8 candidates who would really really not mind being an hour from a Target and a Starbucks ( in good weather that is) in remote, rural Iowa. There is no city of nearly a million people (Tulsa), one hour away from Arlington Iowa. To me, that's the problem. Isolation, loneliness, remote, far from shopping (even in decent weather), really far from any major city. So if they manage to cast 3-4 women who could hack it, who's to say Chris will like any of them, while they compete with the models who turn his eye? Yes, the premise is just awful.
tigertiz
tigertiz

Back to top Go down

Post by pavalygurl Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:03 pm

tigertiz wrote:
At least there is usually some basis for the criticism and sarcasm....other than the mans profession...which happens to be admirable in my book.
I have no problem with his profession. It doesnt matter to me whether he works 9- 5 or travels alot , or not.  It's nice that he can travel. But you cant travel all that much from September to June , once you have kids in school.  

It's his remote location that is a huge problem.  Ree Drummond's ranch (Pioneer Woman) is one hour from Tulsa, in an area that does not have months of snow and ice to double that drive time.  Alot of women who did not grow up on a farm would be able to manage that, with enough money to soften the lonely lifestyle.  I'm not saying it would be easy, but certainly possible.
  I just dont think it's believable that TPTB would cast even 6-8 candidates who would really really not mind being an hour from a Target and a Starbucks ( in good weather that is) in remote, rural Iowa.  There is no city of nearly a million people (Tulsa), one hour away from Arlington Iowa.  To me, that's the problem.  Isolation, loneliness, remote, far from shopping (even in decent weather), really far from any major city. So if they manage to cast 3-4 women who could hack it, who's to say Chris will like any of them, while they compete with the models who turn his eye?  Yes, the premise is just awful.

These are two reasons I couldn't live in a remote area! Especially Starbucks. My neighbors even know my morning routine when I work from home must start with the morning SB.

pavalygurl

Back to top Go down

Post by ironcat Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Since I'm a city girl and have no clue what it would be like to live on ANY farm, or even in a small town, I'm totally basing my assumptions on the impression Chris gave me during the season of being a smart sophisticated businessman and gentleman, not some hick in the boonies. I gotta figure he gets out and about often enough to have developed those traits, and whoever is his eventual wife will not be required to abandon civilization.:-)

ironcat

Back to top Go down

Post by Beagle Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:24 pm

I find him so cute in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3luqm2ZzI8
Beagle
Beagle

Back to top Go down

Post by noobsleuth Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Do we know where Chris lives? Does he live at the farm? It seems like his parents do, but if he's doing traveling stuff and active on the business side of things, it's possible that he would only need to visit and that most of his work could be done from elsewhere.

noobsleuth
noobsleuth

Back to top Go down

Post by karlea Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:47 pm

noobsleuth wrote:Do we know where Chris lives? Does he live at the farm? It seems like his parents do, but if he's doing traveling stuff and active on the business side of things, it's possible that he would only need to visit and that most of his work could be done from elsewhere.

IIRC, he has a house on the farm property that Andi visited on the HTD.
karlea
karlea

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertiz Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:48 pm

and whoever is his eventual wife will not be required to abandon civilization.:-
Heh. To me, and to many women, living nearly 3 hours from Des Moines (in good weather)  would actually constitute abandoning civilization.  That doesnt mean he's not nice, sophisticated or well traveled at all. Of course he's not a hick.  It's just that he lives - the majority of the time - in a very remote area. Yes, he lives in the boonies.  Not appealing to many in the least. Periodic trips to Chicago, NY or Miami would not make up for that to me. It would be hard to make friends with other women, hard to create a career, just hard in a lot of ways.
tigertiz
tigertiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 80 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 54 ... 80  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Bachelor 19 - Chris Soules - General Discussion - *Spoilers*

+118
RealityEscape
KB_Mom
lurker11
HelCat
Maddy