SELECT CONTENT

Matt Agnew - Bachelor Australia - Season 7 - Discussion

Page 17 of 38 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 27 ... 38  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Matt Agnew - Bachelor Australia - Season 7 - Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: Matt Agnew - Bachelor Australia - Season 7 - Discussion

Post by Astrobach Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:04 am

Thanks @Genevieve Australia ITA with your above post and will also make additional comments about Angie and Carlin in their own thread.
I have to admit I actually didn’t get to watch the last few episodes of Matt’s season for many reasons, one being that I thought it was turning into the Abbie show, and two, I enjoyed reading the comments here and wanted to binge watch the remaining episodes back to back as is possible for me on Archive.
Then I got interested in other shows and had less time to watch everything with the start of the school year. I’m not sorry I passed on it and will watch them with the retrospect of the new information, which will maybe color my perception.
I’m wondering how much this new breakup will impact the next season’s choice of Bachelor and do hope that TPTB will want a successful season and steer clear of too much manufactured drama like the US version seems to focus on.
JMHO

Astrobach
Astrobach

Back to top Go down

Matt Agnew - Bachelor Australia - Season 7 - Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: Matt Agnew - Bachelor Australia - Season 7 - Discussion

Post by Astrobach Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 am

@Dirty Street Pie
I had a chuckle seeing that Tara shot... laugh out loud
It brought me back to my first Paradise AU.
Astrobach
Astrobach

Back to top Go down

Post by Genevieve Australia Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:23 am

leavers wrote:
Jolena wrote:

I agree he may have dated forward, more sexual, flirty  girls like Abbie IRL and sometimes a nerd will marry them too.It's not far fetched to say that some really smart guys do not want their girls/spouses to be as smart  or on their intellectual level., some guys like girls that they can pull the wool over on and who don't steal the show from them so to speak (maybe Matt likes being the smartest person in the room after all .) I actual witness this as my son's best friend is a Doctor and God he married a Ditz (pretty and sexy) but NOT at all what any of us suspected he would pick for his wife. I also have another friend who's son is a lawyer and he was always attracted to girls who were not on the same education , he has had numerous girls who were professionals as well but always was attracted to the non professional , uneducated ones all the time. So to each his own. I wonder if Matt met someone else, he says there's no one right now for him but that might not necessarily be the truth. no idea  

when I told my boyfriend (who watched the whole season with me and always though Matt should have picked Abbie based on level of chemistry/attraction) it was confirmed they broke up, the first thing he speculated was that Matt might have found that he really didn't like a girlfriend who was his intellectual equal (and maybe intellectual superior) after all. He probably likes a woman who is just smart enough to appreciate HIS intelligence, and find it attractive, but he actually does still want to be the smartest in the room.  I totally see it too IMO.  

Adding it all up... the history of dating "Abbies", the somewhat onesided relationship and breakup, & Chelsie's obvious hurt, I'm really feeling right now that my long-held suspicions that Matt is just a regular old player with a nerd facade might be true.  JMO, IMO, etc etc.  I guess we will see how it plays out.  Lets see who is his next girlfriend; the proof will be in that pudding IMO.

Leavers,  I think people idealised Matt and Chelsie. Using the term an 'intellectual equal'  based solely on a degree is unreliable. Chelsie doesn't have a PhD anyway. Some of us have PhDs, or one or two masters and can hold many different conversations, but that doesn't mean each person with a postgrad or doctorate is automatically smarter than someone who doesn't have one or has only done trades. Due to my lifestyle  and career path (PhD) and circle of friends I have found people with PhDs all over the world who have no lives besides their research projects. If you talk to them about  historical figures, art, opera, archaeology,  films, or basic concepts of Neurosciences, literature, geography, etc with them at least half of them have no idea  about what you are talking about because it is not their line of work. To have a PhD or to become a researcher all you need is to be very passionate about one specific area of study and work hard on it. Most PhDs in sciences are not necessarily smarter than non-PhDs.  Look at this forum, most people posting here have better grammar than Chelsie does and many of the posters here are not even native English speakers (which is my case, I was born in Europe). I see very intelligent posters here. Unfortunately,  I felt that during Matt's season people were paying excessive attention to Matt and Chelsie's careers instead of focusing on their lifestyles, passions, and personality.

I think Matt's season was based on intellectual snobbery. It was ridiculous. Chelsie and Matt bored me when they were together; well, the whole season was tedious. I wish during that season people focused more on people for who they are, rather than for their degrees. Matt was dull, he didn't come across as overly bright, even if he is. Do I think Matt was the smartest lead in the Australian franchise? I doubt it. I do not believe  that Matt was the smartest lead in the Australian franchise.   As I said, a PhD is about a passion for a field,  and and intellectual is not the same as a scientist,  they are in fact very different things but one can be both. Matt is an astrophysicist but he is not an intellectual. Is he very smart?  Probably but there is the chance that he is just very good with numbers and a very hard worker but has an average IQ.

Last edited by Genevieve Australia on Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Genevieve Australia
Genevieve Australia

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobette Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:23 am

Astrobach wrote:I’m not sorry I passed on it and will watch them with the retrospect of the new information, which will maybe color my perception.

Framing is very powerful IMO, especially with the AU shows where the winner is spoiled at the outset by Sportsbet.  IMO it leads some viewers to see the Lead/F1 relationship with rose coloured glasses - believing it was always going to be Chelsie - and seeing things which IMO were just not there.  

IMO Matt loved having the excuse to concurrently date multiple women and his gaze was never fixed solely on Chelsie.  Her surprise at the FRC said to me that she didn't expect to be F1, and their connection wasn't as deep as some assumed, IMO.  The fact that they have split so soon confirms it for me.
Bobette
Bobette

Back to top Go down

Post by Genevieve Australia Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:26 am

Vjeff wrote:
Genevieve Australia wrote:
Vjeff wrote:
Bobette wrote:IMO this is what happens when Leads choose against type.  All the successful AU couples have IMO chosen people exactly like their usual type.  

Bach is not the time to be trying something new, IMO, and I partly blame the influence of friends and family pushing Leads to choose who they want them to.

Agree completely, said a page back that if Angie and Carlin last any longer I would be shocked. People have a type for a reason! I think Matt's friend Kate was not only controlling but probably has a different image of Matt to who he actually is.

I have read the forum guidelines, and I don't think this is the right thread to discuss Angie and Carlin, I feel it is unfair to discuss possible issues with them  if your observations cannot be refuted in this thread. This thread is about Chelsie and Matt but since you mention Angie and Carlin, Angie said that she and Carlin are very similar and both are dorks, so she was able to see more in real life than in the show so she really didn't go against her type. Carlin is her type but more stable and conventional looking. Matt and Chelsie, on the other hand, didn't come across as a real couple to me.  I never felt that Matt and Chelsea had romantic and sexual energy but I admitted I could be wrong because the show is edited. He came across as scripted and Chelsie didn't seem to be ready to date yet. Her interest for girls that were very different from Chelsie (i.e. Monique and Abbie) made me question his so called 'chemistry' with Chelsie. Even Helena isn't similar to Chelsie, she has a different type of beauty and presence, which I believe initially captivated him but Helena didn't show much interest so Matt had to move on.

I was discussing the idea of choosing someone who isn't your type, who looks great on paper and great to your family. I don't think that's the best idea as you have a type for a reason. Anyway that's what Matt did and I was just comparing a similar situation with what Angie did, which I think will also be the wrong idea. Not discussing laugh out loud.

but see, we are still talking about Angie and speculating things here even when many others don't see what you see. I don't see Angie's situation is similar to Matt. Anyway, I won't mention Angie's name again because this is not her thread and I am new and don't want to break any rules.

Last edited by Genevieve Australia on Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Genevieve Australia
Genevieve Australia

Back to top Go down

Post by Genevieve Australia Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:38 am

Dutchy23 wrote:
Astrobach wrote:Wow!
This is becoming the total sh$t show comments section!!!
All I can add to the general conversation is my strong opinion that I take ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that Rachael does on SM with a bushel of salt...
This is the Rachael that was causing drama in the house long before now.
This is the Rachael that was caught flirting with crew members and being kind of proud of that.
This is the same Rachael that continued her attempts at relevance and being in the spotlight after she got kicked out with a ‘in your face ‘ Vakoo lesbian or bi ( who knows’ ?) relationship photo op.
This is the Rachael that is saying she is friend with someone ( Chelsie) but doesn’t hesitate to insinuate and spread all kinds of stuff in a public way about a very private matter.
I do not pay much attention to what she says and unfortunately too many are so thirsty for BTS information that they believe and prompt even more to be released, she is again in the news playing ‘ guardian angel ‘ to poor Chelsie. I wouldn’t want a friend that exposes any details true or not about my private life. That’s not a friend that’s a fame whore.
Chelsie is a great person and is too weak or hurt to see or stop her from being her spokesperson.

JMHO
I learned early on to discern WHERE any information comes from, before I can assess it’s validity and weight.
If I heard a Kristen or Helena type person, saying harsh things about Matt, I would give it more credence. It’s very sad that these personal matters take a life of their own because they originated in the public eye.

I agree! Rachel was bad news from the start.

I never saw "it" between Matt end Chelsea. Hated the whole series because of the overly adoration of Chels and the bashing of Abbie. Matt had to deal with a terrible bunch of women, most of them only there for exposure. He was boring himself. The fact that Rachel ad Chelsea are best friends, makes me believe Chelsea is a totally different person in real live. I'm not surprised by their break-up, cause I never saw it between them.

May I just say that I like seeing you spelling Chelsea this way? I sometimes feel tempted to write it the same way because that is the original spelling Chelsea, but Matt's F1 name is spelt Chelsie... whenever I start writing 'Chelsie' I feel bad but then, that is her name :S
Genevieve Australia
Genevieve Australia

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzurra Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:47 am

]

Leavers,  I think people idealised Matt and Chelsie. Using the term an 'intellectual equal'  based solely on a degree is unreliable. Chelsie doesn't have a PhD anyway. Some of us have PhDs, or one or two masters and can hold many different conversations, but that doesn't mean each person with a postgrad or doctorate is automatically smarter than someone who doesn't have one or has only done trades. Due to my lifestyle  and career path (PhD) and circle of friends I have found people with PhDs all over the world who have no lives besides their research projects. If you talk to them about  historical figures, art, opera, archaeology,  films, or basic concepts of Neurosciences, literature, geography, etc with them at least half of them have no idea  about what you are talking about because it is not their line of work. To have a PhD or to become a researcher all you need is to be very passionate about one specific area of study and work hard on it. Most PhDs in sciences are not necessarily smarter than non-PhDs.  Look at this forum, most people posting here have better grammar than Chelsie does and many of the posters here are not even native English speakers (which is my case, I was born in Europe). I see very intelligent posters here. Unfortunately,  I felt that during Matt's season people were paying excessive attention to Matt and Chelsie's careers instead of focusing on their lifestyles, passions, and personality.

I think Matt's season was based on intellectual snobbery. It was ridiculous. Chelsie and Matt bored me when they were together; well, the whole season was tedious. I wish during that season people focused more on people for who they are, rather than for their degrees. Matt was dull, he didn't come across as overly bright, even if he is. Do I think Matt was the smartest lead in the Australian franchise? I doubt it. I do not believe  that Matt was the smartest lead in the Australian franchise.   As I said, a PhD is about a passion for a field,  and and intellectual is not the same as a scientist,  they are in fact very different things but one can be both. Matt is an astrophysicist but he is not an intellectual. Is he very smart?  Probably but there is the chance that he is just very good with numbers and a very hard worker but has an average IQ.

This! I agree with every word. I watched maybe one episode in total but my initial impression of Matt was similar to yours, I didn't undersand the hype. He is not that smart, not that attractive (he has a nice body but up from shoulders he does very little to me) and personality-wise he seems boring and bland...

From what I gathered, everyone loved him. I was on the other hand underwhelmed because seeing him on the show (only 1 episode), he was so uninteresting that I didn't felt tempted to watch his season after all (and I was dead set on binging on another Australian bachie).

Azzurra

Back to top Go down

Post by Genevieve Australia Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:58 am

Bobette wrote:@Dirty Street Pie Your new avatar is GOLD.  Matt Agnew - Bachelor Australia - Season 7 - Discussion - Page 17 3806527698

Your avatar is awesome! Smiley I don't have true favourites really, and I don't know how upload photos here. I don't know who I could choose as my avatar but I want it to be fun. I will have to explore this a bit. Do I need a minimum number of posts in order to be able to have an avatar?
Genevieve Australia
Genevieve Australia

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeegaZigHah Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:05 am

Azzurra wrote:

]

This! I agree with every word. I watched maybe one episode in total but my initial impression of Matt was similar to yours, I didn't undersand the hype. He is not that smart, not that attractive (he has a nice body but up from shoulders he does very little to me) and personality-wise he seems boring and bland...

From what I gathered, everyone loved him
. I was on the other hand underwhelmed because seeing him on the show (only 1 episode), he was so uninteresting that I didn't felt tempted to watch his season after all (and I was dead set on binging on another Australian bachie).

Count me out from that 😅. I tried to dig the studio's hype and building up of highest expectations, only to see a literal typical player with an "Astrophysicist" ID card.

One question, are the intended Bachelor and Bachelorette asked by TPTB about the types of contestants thwy want to see in their "harem"? Then just cast a few deviations? Because that's what I saw in both shows, the only Bachies I've seen, though.

If that's the case, the pool of women in Matt's season, with Chelsie/sea (😁) being the strange one (and maybe Helena and Emma, too, and the comic role players for "balanced casting" purposes) posed SOME questions about Matt already when I was watching it - whether he was looking for the kind of relationship he was saying he was, or was there for something else (public adulation, TV career) and so much more 😉.

ZeegaZigHah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sundy Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:15 am

So I felt the need to change my avatar and couldn’t think of a better one than one of my most favourite bachie dates ever. How those two never ended up together is beyond me
Sundy
Sundy

Female Posts : 5893

Back to top Go down

Post by leavers Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:23 am

Re: bolded.  When I said that, I was going off of something Matt said within the show. He said that when he was with Chelsie, he wasn't the smartest person in the room anymore.  

I know people with PhDs also, there are two in my extended family. Both in the allied health field.  However, neither make it a part of their personality and neither make a big deal of it. If you met them on the street you'd have no idea at all they have a PhD. So it definitely never impressed me that Matt's entire gimmick was how smart/educated he was.  It's not that impressive, not when it comes to making a good partner.  A person of any education level can be a good partner. A person of any education level can be a horrible partner.  To be fair to Matt though, a lot of that would have been tptb's fault, not his.  They edit as they see fit to make a person entirely appear to fit the personality stereotype they've decided that person "is" for the show.  They basically flanderise their contestants/leads.
leavers
leavers

Female Posts : 1339

Back to top Go down

Post by Genevieve Australia Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:50 am

Azzurra wrote:

]

From what I gathered, everyone loved him. I was on the other hand underwhelmed because seeing him on the show (only 1 episode), he was so uninteresting that I didn't felt tempted to watch his season after all (and I was dead set on binging on another Australian bachie).

Thank you, Azzurra! See, when I watch The Bachelor or The Bachelorette  I don't care about people''s  degrees or having PhDs, I am in that world, PhDs, masters and university degrees are normal to me,  I wasn't going to be cheering for Matt only because he is an astrophysicist. His profession may be first the 'surprise' element because the franchise doesn't get many scientists as leads but if there is no  enough substance then the excitement rapidly dissipates. To me Matt came across as colourless, his personality wasn't nuanced and I was never convinced that he was going to last with any of the girls.

When I watch a show like The Bachelor or The Bachelorette I want to care about the lead or at least I want to find the lead somehow interesting; the rest is secondary. I don't dislike Matt, it is just that I don't care for him. And you know what? The fact that he has Dr as part of his Instagram username makes me roll my eyes. If his PhD was only part of his profile description okay, but he became famous on Instagram because of the Bachelor not because of his doctorate. To make your PhD part of your username (as opposed to part of your description) is, imo, pretentious but who am I to judge him?  Perhaps I am just bitchy :S but..perhaps we should all have our  Curriculum Vitae as our Instagram username ;) I would have such a high Instagram status ;) ;) ;)  My thoughts are with Chelsie because I sense that she is the one who is having the hardest time, although I am not necessarily a fan of hers but she seems nice. To be honest, Helena was my favourite, the only one I found interesting even though she didn't talk much. I think Helena was able to read Matt very well.
Genevieve Australia
Genevieve Australia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 38 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 27 ... 38  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Matt Agnew - Bachelor Australia - Season 7 - Discussion

+40
Michdealm
jen689
Agent99
Valancy
appiah01