SELECT CONTENT

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Page 8 of 81 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 44 ... 81  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 8 Empty Re: What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Post by Iam4UGA Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:31 pm

Thank you Ladies!  I really did not mean to lessen the importance of the distractions in our lives.  They are important too!  Heck recently, it has made me feel better to focus on something not related to cancer!

Trust me, I place wayyy to much importance on football, but I would never give it up!
Iam4UGA
Iam4UGA

Female Posts : 800

Back to top Go down

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2 - Page 8 Empty Re: What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

Post by nd4reality Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:59 pm

IAm - Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. Yes this show is a distraction but somethings over occupies our time and generates a lot of unwanted ill feelings towards other boardies. Its just a show and people are more important.

Team #:tinfoil
iPad mini typos Embarassed  . So sorry.
nd4reality
nd4reality

Female Posts : 13685

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunties_Love Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:34 pm

Iam4UGA wrote:In November 2013 I was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast Cancer, (DCIS grade1 in three spots, with one of them being infiltrating Grade 1-2).  

My Breast surgeon recommended a full mastectomy of the left breast, and said I need to decide if I want to do both.  She said they would have to do so surgery on the right breast to make them symmetrical, so I decided to have a Double (or bi-lateral) mastectomy.  I did not need radiation, so we began the reconstruction process at the same time as the mastectomy.  

The surgery was December 18.  The reconstruction is Latissismus Dorsi Flap with Tissue expanders.  We have been expanding them since January and I am finally where I need to be size wise.  I should be having the tissue expanders removed and replaced with implants sometime in April.

The path on the tissue came back negative except for what we initially found, so I did not have to have Chemo.  I am taking anti Estrogen meds as my cancer was Er, Pr positive and Negative for Her2 protein.

The recovery has been very hard, but Tuesday will be 90 days post surgery and I almost feel back to "normal".

I am telling you all this to make sure you go get your mammograms!  This was my first at age 45 because I was anxious about the pain of the mammogram.  Believe me, the surgery has been way worse!
Thankyou so much for sharing your story. Breast Cancer can be one of the harshest cancers. I am so glad that you are coming out of this on the other side and almost back to normal. Hope we all can learn from your example of doing mammograms and finding this disease early.

Candace:  There is nothing better than an Auntie's Love!  blowkiss
Aunties_Love
Aunties_Love

Female Posts : 10789

Back to top Go down

Post by Iam4UGA Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:52 am

Thank you everyone!

A couple of ladies PM'd me some questions, and I think it might be helpful to answer here as well.

As far as we know, there is no family history of Breast Cancer on either side of my family. I am seeing my Oncologist Thursday for a follow-up and we will be doing the genetic testing then. There are other factors involved, if you have the BRCA genes, they also recommend to have a hysterectomy because you run a risk of uterine and / or ovarian cancer.

The other question was did I have any indication (lumps, etc) and the answer is no. I had been avoiding the mammogram because I was afraid of the "squish" I just did not want to go through the pain. I had to see my "female" Dr. in Sept for another, unrelated issue, and she pushed me to get the mammogram done, and then come back for my check-up. Well, the rest is in the story above...

"How careful I must be, somewhere a little fellow watches me." - Herman Boone - High School Hall of Fame Coach
Iam4UGA
Iam4UGA

Back to top Go down

Post by just2relax Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 am

Iam4U...I wish you a speedy recovery.
I want to add that last May I was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer in my right breast. It was tiny, tiny, less then one centimeter which they call a micro tumor. It was not seen on the mammogram or from a manual exam. My radiologist who I think is nothing short of a miracle worker, found it on the ultrasound. My surgeon told me it was in such an obscure place it's amazing he found it. I did a lumpectomy, so no reconstruction for me. But I did have 22 radiation treatments. I am also on anti estrogen med..I found I have little to no reaction to the meds if I take it at night along with magnesium to prevent muscle cramps which is a common side effect .
Ladies...get your check up done!! I have what is known as dense breasts, that's why the radiologist did ultrasounds every year. Thank God he did!

just2relax

Back to top Go down

Post by Iam4UGA Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:18 pm

just2relax wrote:Iam4U...I wish you a speedy recovery.
I want to add that last May I was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer in my right breast. It was tiny, tiny, less then one centimeter which they call a micro tumor. It was not seen on the mammogram or from a manual exam.  My radiologist who I think is nothing short of a miracle worker, found it on the ultrasound.  My surgeon told me it was in such an obscure place it's amazing he found it.  I did a lumpectomy, so no reconstruction for me.  But I did have 22 radiation treatments.  I am also on anti estrogen med..I found I have little to no reaction to the meds if I take it at night along with magnesium to prevent muscle cramps which is a common side effect .
Ladies...get your check up done!!  I have what is known as dense breasts, that's why the radiologist did ultrasounds every year. Thank God he did!

Thank you!.

I am so sorry you had to go through that, but congrats for finding it sooo early! I am glad you were able to find it too, because if not, it could have been so much worse!

On top of this I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, was diagnosed in 2000. One of the side effects of the Tamoxifen is joint pain. ugh! So, after the new year and I had new insurance, I had to wait for approvals for the RA meds, I had to stop the Tamoxifen b/c my joint pain was so bad. I am taking it again now, though.

"How careful I must be, somewhere a little fellow watches me." - Herman Boone - High School Hall of Fame Coach
Iam4UGA
Iam4UGA

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunties_Love Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Iam4UGA wrote:
I want to add that last May I was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer in my right breast. It was tiny, tiny, less then one centimeter which they call a micro tumor. It was not seen on the mammogram or from a manual exam.  My radiologist who I think is nothing short of a miracle worker, found it on the ultrasound.  My surgeon told me it was in such an obscure place it's amazing he found it.  I did a lumpectomy, so no reconstruction for me.  But I did have 22 radiation treatments.  I am also on anti estrogen med..I found I have little to no reaction to the meds if I take it at night along with magnesium to prevent muscle cramps which is a common side effect .
Ladies...get your check up done!!  I have what is known as dense breasts, that's why the radiologist did ultrasounds every year. Thank God he did!

Thank you!.

I am so sorry you had to go through that, but congrats for finding it sooo early!  I am glad you were able to find it too, because if not, it could have been so much worse!

On top of this I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, was diagnosed in 2000.  One of the side effects of the Tamoxifen is joint pain.  ugh!  So, after the new year and I had new insurance, I had to wait for approvals for the RA meds, I had to stop the Tamoxifen b/c my joint pain was so bad.  I am taking it again now, though.

WOW, both of you are AWESOME!! Hope you both work through the process and come out on the other side for the best. It is so hard to know what to say in situations like this, but just know that thoughts are extended to both of you!!

Aunties_Love
Aunties_Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Iam4UGA Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks Auntie! Every little bit helps!  bestbud! 

Iam4UGA
Iam4UGA

Back to top Go down

Post by just2relax Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:51 am

Thanks Auntie. Your good thoughts are appreciated. The only "wrong" thing someone said to me was "Breast cancer isn't so horrible these days. It's like having the flu." Um. I don't think so.

just2relax

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertiz Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:25 am

Having the flu? Seriously? Seriously? What the hell?
I had the flu in January. H1N1. I was sick as a dog - for 4 days - but the tamiflu worked. How on earth can anyone think of that as any sort of a comparison to cancer?
Hang in there.
tigertiz
tigertiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang19 Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:31 pm

So happy that that Miracle Worker was the one reading your study, and so happy to hear that it was caught and you've gotten treatment. The "flu" comment is just incredible, who would say something like that? I had a similar experience with a small skin cancer. Long story short, I was brushing my bangs aside when speaking with someone who turned out to be a nurse and she noticed something on my forehead. She urged me to have it checked out. The doctor thought it was nothing, and did a biopsy to apease me. Never, ever thought it was anything, but it turned out to be skin cancer. I had a MOHS procedure, and it was completely removed. I consider her a "Guardian Angel", just a random conversation that turned out to be something more. I'm so happy you're on the road to recovery and shared your story.
Mustang19
Mustang19

Female Posts : 1192

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunties_Love Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:46 pm

just2relax wrote:Thanks Auntie.  Your good thoughts are appreciated.  The only "wrong" thing someone said to me was "Breast cancer isn't so horrible these days.  It's like having the flu."  Um. I don't think so.
That's not the same by any means..flu you can get over, not necessarily with cancer. I had 2 cousins and 3 aunts die from the disease as well as another 2 aunts and 1 cousin that had it and lived. They are now beyond the ten year mark, but still do their checkups regularily. I do understand how the "C" word can take over your life. Just try to find the simple things that can brighten your day as that is what can help you through it all.....Take care!!

Aunties_Love
Aunties_Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 81 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 44 ... 81  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

What is happening around you, around the world? Thread #2

+84
vacayeveryday
mizzoufan
Katiebelle
gurlbrit
justcallmegranny