SELECT CONTENT

Marquel Martin for The Bachelor 19

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marquel Martin for The Bachelor 19 - Page 5 Empty Re: Marquel Martin for The Bachelor 19

Post by unknown82 Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:50 am

Marquel is a lovely guy... He needs to stay away from this franchise. I just have a bad feeling that if he becomes the bachelor, they will find a way to screw it up for him. He doesn't need this show IMHO.
unknown82
unknown82

Back to top Go down

Marquel Martin for The Bachelor 19 - Page 5 Empty Re: Marquel Martin for The Bachelor 19

Post by happygolucky Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:35 am

Sorry if wrong thread to ask this, but I don't know where else to address and with Marquel, who I find amazing guy, really great contestant on the show and for me could be a great Bachelor, if only they would give him a chance, it kind of opened an issue to me:

Hi everyone ... I will be blunt, so pardon my language. I don't know any of you, so I don't know your race or skin color (nationality, etc.) ... I retain to be very open-minded and non-judgmental person, far from the whole racism idea, but considering I live in a country where there are very few people of "African" background living (like I might have seen 2-3 in my hometown that has 15.000 population and maybe some more in a capital city where I live now, usually they are soccer players or other kind of athletes (men) or adopted children, children from mixed couples, very rarely you see the whole family) ... so it's not like I'm not aware of the differences, but I don't really have any chance interacting with them.
That said, USA, Canada, UK, Belgium, Netherlands, even the closest to me Italy, has much bigger population of, sort to speak, African-heritage people (whether they were born there or their distant relatives) ... so you must have more chance to be around and have friends who live on their own skin the problem of racism. So my question is really ... since I don't know the interactive language: is it offensive when talking about someone who is of African heritage as a black man or should it be described as the man of color? Just innocently I ask, since to me, as an "outsider", who doesn't have much in common with that painful history, I would assume saying "color" is more offensive, since we are all of color, just some are more tanned than others (that's how I see it and I'm a pale white woman, that wishes wouldn't look like a yogurt in the summer). Also ... what's been on my mind ... black people born and raised in USA (any of you here interested to explain to me) how do you view the fact that they are described as African American, while for example those with pale, white skin, of Central Europe heritage would be simply be classified as Americans (whatever generation of immigrants they would be)?
If anyone is interested to help me out with some point of view you can answer me in private. Thank you.

Comfort Zone is just a prison of our own making. / I hope you dance.

happygolucky

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:35 am

People from USA are Americans, people from Canada are Canadian, people from Italy are Italian. Marquel is American.

I live in a multi cultural country, it makes no difference to me what so ever who came from where. People have the right to refer to their heritages as they see fit. I have no idea who came from where just because of the colour of their skin and it's not for me to figure it out.

I refer to Marquel as Marquel, not Marquel the black man, or Marquel the African American. If Chris was the bachelor, we wouldn't say Chris the white man, Chris the American. JMO

Hope that helps.

Please keep comments minimal to avoid the thread going off topic.

Last edited by GuardianAngel on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71450

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Nonina430 Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:10 pm

GA, loved your post! It brought back a vivid memory of my Father
who came to the US from Italy, he owned a corner grocery store
In Chicago in a predominantly white area. He had a friend who was
black, from Italy. They would sit for hours speaking politics (in Italian)
one day he was questioned on the friendship. And his friend being a
Black man his answer, What! He's Italian! So simple So Honest

Nonina430

Back to top Go down

Post by chloep Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:30 am

little update on the #MarquelForBachelor front....

I've been told he was highlighted during the MTA and people were really into him.

“Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering”
chloep
chloep

Female Posts : 3024

Back to top Go down

Post by tropicana Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:53 am

So my question is really ... since I don't know the interactive language: is it offensive when talking about someone who is of African heritage as a black man or should it be described as the man of color? Just innocently I ask, since to me, as an "outsider", who doesn't have much in common with that painful history, I would assume saying "color" is more offensive, since we are all of color, just some are more tanned than others (that's how I see it and I'm a pale white woman, that wishes wouldn't look like a yogurt in the summer). Also ... what's been on my mind ... black people born and raised in USA (any of you here interested to explain to me) how do you view the fact that they are described as African American, while for example those with pale, white skin, of Central Europe heritage would be simply be classified as Americans (whatever generation of immigrants they would be)?
If anyone is interested to help me out with some point of view you can answer me in private. Thank you.

Not to bring up this touchy subject again but we have come to know Marquel  as an outstanding guy with a great personality which comes to the forefront ..not his colour.  However you asked a valid question.. if you see the same nameless,anonymous person on the street in Europe you would refer to him as a black man.   African American (which is not offensive)is  the process of an evolution a  phrase coined by  black leaders at a time when we were  yearning for  racial identity.  I think the election of a black man to the highest office in the land has turned the tide... Black people can finally say they are  Americans no hyphen necessary.[/b]

tropicana

Back to top Go down

Post by happygolucky Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:27 am

Thank you everyone who took time to answer me. I really didn't want to be provocative or judgmental, just I try to understand the terms that people use and how it is portrayed in the media. I used this thread because with Marquel TB finally opened the issue, that needed to be addressed on this show.
I really do believe that people shouldn't judge upon the color of a skin, as I also don't believe in judging someone based just on the appearance, their look, clothes, language, religion, ...
But to get to know them and their essence.

What Marquel did, said those things in his PI and then respectfully approached Andrew with the issue, was not only smart and intelligent, but opened a dialog and showed what an impact an unfair judgment has on people. It hurts, but most importantly it denies them of their pride and human dignity and it's a real shame that there are people in this age of time, who despite the 'high' education continue to be ignorant and not value human life.

I hope he can get a chance to be a bachelor (although I see it tough for this year, but maybe next one), because he seems really interesting person and TB franchise can benefit a lot from a guy like him (since it's all about business).

happygolucky

Back to top Go down

Post by nutty1 Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:39 pm

After watching him tonight, I sure wish he would the next lead! He'd be great!!!

"My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dogs already think I am"    
"God puts the right people in our lives when the timing is just right." - Jef
"Love is everything it's cracked up to be…It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for" - Nick
"What I felt for you was greater than a moment" - Nick
"I knew I loved you right away & I didn't even know why" - Ben
"You're my person" - Lauren
nutty1
nutty1

Back to top Go down

Post by atem Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:43 pm

I didn't watch it, but I'd rather he be the Bachelor over Chris or Arie. Oh, well.

Anything I post means it's Just My Opinion.  Don't feel like posting it every time I post. So, I thought I'd get that out of the way.

#Teamatem
atem
atem

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:14 pm

He would be great!

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:19 am

Marquel is a very grounded guy who see's the positive in life. He's an all around great guy. I don't know if he has any negative characteristics, none that I've seen but I think he'd make a fantastic bachelor as well.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71450

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by happygolucky Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:33 am

Bring this thread up! yes  I haven't watched BIP yet, don't know if I will, but if I decide to give it a try it will be only for Marquel ... So please, let me know how it goes ... so one day free of any daily tasks I might watch the marathon of the episodes with him.

He is a cookie  Hugesmile 
A smart one, kind one, sweet and respectful, strong and with principles ... and a real deal.  :youdaman: 

happygolucky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Marquel Martin for The Bachelor 19

+26
unknown82
GuardianAngel
stuckinsc
luvlady345
deeliciouz