SELECT CONTENT

Bachelorette 15 - Luke Parker - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

Page 22 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

thebachlorette - Bachelorette 15 - Luke Parker - *Sleuthing Spoilers* - Page 22 Empty Re: Bachelorette 15 - Luke Parker - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

Post by RizBiz Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:17 pm

lleyki wrote:
See, I don't think TPTB needed to make Luke the villain. He did that all by himself by being possessive with Hannah, aggressive with the men, and lying.

This exactly and frankly I find the million defenses and excuses for him to be a bit worrisome. As I've said, while I and I'm sure most will never question and doubt that the producers are extremely manipulative, I don't believe they have the power to pull something out of someone that isn't already there.

It was like how Vanessa has talked about not being her best self during her time on the show and it exacerbating all her insecurities. But the thing is, those insecurities and anxieties were already there in her. Being on the show just made it worse because yes, it's such a fish bowl, manipulative, pressure cooker environment.

So I don't doubt that the producers were manipulative and played up the negative aspects of Luke. I just believe they were able to do that because they saw those qualities in him. As far as I'm concerned, all these ugly parts we've seen of Luke were likely already there. Being in the madness of the show just shone a brighter light on it.

At the end of the day, some can point to all factors - producers, the other contestants, Hannah herself, etc. to excuse or rationalize Luke's behavior. I however choose to subscribe to one of my favorite quotes by Maya Angelou, "when a person shows you who they are, believe them". And Luke has shown who he is and it ain't pretty.

Now before we get another round of "he's not evil and a villain and a monster". I'm not saying he is. I'm not saying Luke is irredeemable and the worse human being in the world because that would be ridiculous. What I am saying is that he displays some troubling personality traits that hopefully, his being on the show and having a very negative spotlight shone on those traits helps him to grow and be better.

Great post Ileyki
Every single person who has ever been on this show has had negative character traits and flaws which could have been highlighted, exploited, etc. had the producers chosen to do so to advance and enhance their narrative and storyboard.
Since you referenced Vanessa, Nick comes to mind.
His character flaws were very obvious. Many of his negative traits  and personality quirks rubbed many people the wrong way. Many ‘armchair psychologists’  assessed him in his seasons, as needing to make major life changes but has he? Did he do the introspective work that so many figured he needed?
To many viewers, it  appears that he did not.
He didn’t change who he was just because viewers perceived him negatively.
However, even he was not villified  in the same way Luke has been. In retrospect, Luke’s character flaws are no worse or more dangerous than Nick’s were.

Luke as a 24 year (old) YOUNG man, is and will obviously be doing some soul searching.
Hopefully, he survives the Men Tell All.
Hopefully, he will demonstrate humility and wisdom in the midst of the anticipated MTA roast.
He is YOUNG, talented, passionate  and industrious. He has a whole future ahead of him. As in all situations of life, a wise person will keep and value the lessons gleaned from any negative life  experience.

RizBiz

Back to top Go down

thebachlorette - Bachelorette 15 - Luke Parker - *Sleuthing Spoilers* - Page 22 Empty Re: Bachelorette 15 - Luke Parker - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

Post by Sprite Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:47 pm

@RizBiz I'm sorry, but I must take exception here. Nick did not go screaming at the other men and at no point did he act aggressively. Sure he and Shawn mostly got into it, but never did I see him screaming, clenching his fists, knocking someone over and kneeing him in the head. He was not totally ostracised by the other guys...on either Bachelorette season. Yeah, he was cocky, but that is nowhere near to what Luke has been shown doing.

Obviously Luke is younger than Nick was during his first time on the show and yes, hopefully he will have a good look at himself and how he is coming across and learn from that. I think Nick did change somewhat...whether others think so or not....hence his changed/mellowed edit on BIP. He is still a smart a** at times, but WTH, so am I and I don't think that is a bad thing or something I necessarily need to change...just be more aware of the situations that I do it.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by RizBiz Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:24 pm

Sprite wrote:@RizBiz I'm sorry, but I must take exception here. Nick did not go screaming at the other men and at no point did he act aggressively. Sure he and Shawn mostly got into it, but never did I see him screaming, clenching his fists, knocking someone over and kneeing him in the head. He was not totally ostracised by the other guys...on either Bachelorette season. Yeah, he was cocky, but that is nowhere near to what Luke has been shown doing.

Obviously Luke is younger than Nick was during his first time on the show and yes, hopefully he will have a good look at himself and how he is coming across and learn from that. I think Nick did change somewhat...whether others think so or not....hence his changed/mellowed edit on BIP. He is still a smart a** at times, but WTH, so am I and I don't think that is a bad thing or something I necessarily need to change...just be more aware of the situations that I do it.

I did not say that Nick and Luke had the SAME character flaws. I said that ALL the contestants have flaws. Some are highlighted negatively, others not so much.
Some human flaws are more obvious... others are more subtle. All can be devious.

While Luke’s particular flaws are extremely highlighted this season, (and very little of his qualities are being credited), this does not take away from the fact that so many others throughout the franchise, including Nick, have had  nasty character traits as well.

Personally, I didn’t mind Nick in his seasons, warts and all.
Neither do I mind Luke, warts and all.
One thing to be reminded of. We are not shown everything that has transpired between contestants.
We are not necessarily shown what other comments were made which egged on the negative responses.

As I have mentioned before, they are created characters, necessary to enhance a dramatic storyline for a show.
Embellished by the edit.
In real life, they both have personality flaws, as well as positive traits, although different ones from each other.
Viewers have seen them in a certain way, for a certain reason,  and very few people really know them for the true human beings they are.

And I only chose to focus on Nick because Illeyki mentioned Vanessa.
Could have chosen so, so, SO many others.
Life in a fish bowl ....

RizBiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucas15 Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:59 pm

lleyki wrote:
See, I don't think TPTB needed to make Luke the villain. He did that all by himself by being possessive with Hannah, aggressive with the men, and lying.

This exactly and frankly I find the million defenses and excuses for him to be a bit worrisome. As I've said, while I and I'm sure most will never question and doubt that the producers are extremely manipulative, I don't believe they have the power to pull something out of someone that isn't already there.

It was like how Vanessa has talked about not being her best self during her time on the show and it exacerbating all her insecurities. But the thing is, those insecurities and anxieties were already there in her. Being on the show just made it worse because yes, it's such a fish bowl, manipulative, pressure cooker environment.

So I don't doubt that the producers were manipulative and played up the negative aspects of Luke. I just believe they were able to do that because they saw those qualities in him. As far as I'm concerned, all these ugly parts we've seen of Luke were likely already there. Being in the madness of the show just shone a brighter light on it.

At the end of the day, some can point to all factors - producers, the other contestants, Hannah herself, etc. to excuse or rationalize Luke's behavior. I however choose to subscribe to one of my favorite quotes by Maya Angelou, "when a person shows you who they are, believe them". And Luke has shown who he is and it ain't pretty.

Now before we get another round of "he's not evil and a villain and a monster". I'm not saying he is. I'm not saying Luke is irredeemable and the worse human being in the world because that would be ridiculous. What I am saying is that he displays some troubling personality traits that hopefully, his being on the show and having a very negative spotlight shone on those traits helps him to grow and be better.

Great post. As to the bolded I totally agree. In fact when blogger Kelly Keegs asked some questions about Luke she heard plenty of stories of things he'd done in the past that were not so nice. Source

Lucas15

Male Posts : 2809

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:28 pm

RizBiz wrote:
Sprite wrote:@RizBiz I'm sorry, but I must take exception here. Nick did not go screaming at the other men and at no point did he act aggressively. Sure he and Shawn mostly got into it, but never did I see him screaming, clenching his fists, knocking someone over and kneeing him in the head. He was not totally ostracised by the other guys...on either Bachelorette season. Yeah, he was cocky, but that is nowhere near to what Luke has been shown doing.

I did not say that Nick and Luke had the SAME character flaws. I said that ALL the contestants have flaws. Some are highlighted negatively, others not so much.
Some human flaws are more obvious... others are more subtle. All can be devious.

While Luke’s particular flaws are extremely highlighted this season, (and very little of his qualities are being credited), this does not take away from the fact that so many others throughout the franchise, including Nick, have had  nasty character traits as well.

One thing to be reminded of.  We are not shown everything that has transpired between contestants.
We are not necessarily shown what other comments were made which egged on the negative responses.

As I have mentioned before, they are created characters, necessary  to enhance a dramatic storyline for a show.
Embellished by the edit.
In real life, they both have personality flaws, as well as positive traits, although different ones from each other.
Viewers have seen them in a certain way, for a certain reason,  and very few people really know them for the true human beings they are.

Life in a fish bowl ....

yes

IMO there are character flaws...snarky, sarcastic, being a know it all...and then there are serious issues. IMO Luke has the latter...angry, manipulative, controlling, etc. The issues are much more difficult to deal with on and off the show. Clearly, Luke's issues are being magnified by editing and the circumstances in which he finds himself...as were Nick's and many others. Yes, there are things that are left out and the viewers don't know any of these people, but that doesn't change the fact that this is how he reacts in adverse circumstance. He is young and he has indicated that watching himself has been eye opening, so hopefully he can learn and change. MTA will be telling. If he just apologizes, stops making excuses and interrupting, he may be on the way. It will be really hard because the others will be prepped to push his buttons, including CH and they will edit everything to make it seem worse, but it will be interesting to hear the leaks from members of the audience and how they will feel he comes across.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:34 pm

Lucas15 wrote:snipped
Great post. As to the bolded I totally agree. In fact when blogger Kelly Keegs asked some questions about Luke she heard plenty of stories of things he'd done in the past that were not so nice. Source

I listened to most of this and am surprised the part about Luke isn't splattered all over the tabloids. Maybe it has been, but I haven't see it.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71471

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrobach Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:08 pm

Sprite wrote:
RizBiz wrote:

One thing to be reminded of.  We are not shown everything that has transpired between contestants.

As I have mentioned before, they are created characters, necessary  to enhance a dramatic storyline for a show.
Embellished by the edit.

Life in a fish bowl ....

yes

IMO there are character flaws...snarky, sarcastic, being a know it all...and then there are serious issues. IMO Luke has the latter...angry, manipulative, controlling, etc. The issues are much more difficult to deal with on and off the show. Clearly, Luke's issues are being magnified by editing and the circumstances in which he finds himself...as were Nick's and many others. Yes, there are things that are left out and the viewers don't know any of these people, but that doesn't change the fact that this is how he reacts in adverse circumstance. He is young and he has indicated that watching himself has been eye opening, so hopefully he can learn and change. MTA will be telling. If he just apologizes, stops making excuses and interrupting, he may be on the way. It will be really hard because the others will be prepped to push his buttons, including CH and they will edit everything to make it seem worse, but it will be interesting to hear the leaks from members of the audience and how they will feel he comes across.

Totally agree. And the men in the house agree as well it seems. It will take more than a sweet apology at the MTA to erase or indicate a LASTING change in his toxic behavior that he has used for a while it seems. He will be ultra conscious of his image when he gets on the platform, but it will be LIVE and more difficult to hide behind the ‘ editing’ factor. Even in the best case scenario, that he started to see that he needs to change, as opposed to fix the way he is VIEWED, it will take a long time for him to gain the maturity to own up to his insecurities that are most likely the source of his BS to begin with. I don’t know at this point if he has what it takes to make such a shift.
JMHO
Astrobach
Astrobach

Back to top Go down

Post by blueblues Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:29 pm

^ I wonder if he will try to gaslight CH when he is in the hotseat. That could get interesting.

blueblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucas15 Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:52 pm

blueblues wrote:^ I wonder if he will try to gaslight CH when he is in the hotseat. That could get interesting.

I think any conversation Luke has with CH will go pretty much the way all of his conversations with Hannah have gone.

Lucas15

Male Posts : 2809

Back to top Go down

Post by RizBiz Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:52 pm

Sprite wrote:
RizBiz wrote:

Embellished by the edit.

Life in a fish bowl ....

yes

Good post Sprite.
I find myself wondering what would have happened if Luke and Hannah had met outside of this bubble?
How would their relationship have progressed without the dynamic of all the other guys in the scenario, all the other factors which make this show what it is?

Personally, I think they would have been good together.
Much of Luke’s negative behaviour IMO is in response to the ‘competition’ with the guys, not so much towards Hannah or his relationship with her. Just seeing tonight’s preview of how Garrett was egging him on and badgering him reeks of bullying. “How can I get a rise out of him?” Producer induced or self- induced?

As well, I keep remembering how Hannah said she wanted somebody to fight for her.
How Luke said he was going to fight for her.
Now that he has been in “fighting mode”, it hasn’t worked out so well for either of them.

So yes, I am just curious how a relationship between them would have played out in real life.

In any case, I enjoy reading all the various perspectives on this particular person. ( as long as they are not vicious or mean) THANKS everyone for your authentic and well thought out comments. : thumbsup
I choose to learn life lessons from the comments and the hours invested watching this show even if the actual participants never do.

RizBiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:33 pm

@RizBiz I don't think they would have worked out in the long run even in real life. I think it would have taken her longer to figure him because on paper they look like a good match. I think she is much more outgoing/friendly and he appears controlling and eventually that would have led to a clash. Not to mention, when it comes to religion, he appears to be more strict in his beliefs, whereas Hannah doesn't appear as judgemental. She seems like such a fun girl and frankly, he acts like an old stick in the mud. I haven't seen much of a sense of humour from him at all. I know things are edited and it wasn't a good situation for him, but still, even when with her, I don't think he brings out or gets her fun, silly side and humour is one of those things that holds a couple together. Probably for the best that they met in this situation and she didn't waste a ton of time with him...relatively speaking.

Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrobach Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:41 pm

For me he always looks like HE is the center of attention, and he is trying to get HER to like HIM.  I haven’t seen any show of genuine interest for HER, he’s too busy trying to fit the picture he thinks she wants to see, thus not being himself, as she complained to him before. And I agree that sense of humor is a key ingredient in significant relationships. May they be friends or more. You have to GET the inner values system, cultural references and a lot more stuff when you have a similar sense of humor. Or at least when you can laugh about things together. Which Tyler and Hannah do plenty of already in contrast to Luke who is so stiff and controlling.
JMO
Astrobach
Astrobach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Bachelorette 15 - Luke Parker - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

+56
LaineyG
Kashathediva
Lucas15
Chgohighlife
North