SELECT CONTENT

Bachelorette 13 - Rachel Lindsay - General Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

Page 78 of 80 Previous  1 ... 40 ... 77, 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bachelorette 13 - Rachel Lindsay - General Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers* - Page 78 Empty Re: Bachelorette 13 - Rachel Lindsay - General Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

Post by lleyki Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:12 am

This is 2017 not 1966.

And yet many issues and various places around the country beg to differ. I'm not trying to go off topic but again, I agreed with Rachel's sister. It's great to feel the way you do and Nick said on Rachel's HTD. Hell I'm pretty live and let live in that way myself. And it would be amazing if everyone collectively did. But they don't. And it does no good to bury one's head in the sand and not acknowledge the very real and crappy reality that exists in many ways in this country.

I actually understand what some posters are saying. The reason so much of the general population snarks so much on this show and the idea of finding one's future wife/husband while dating multiple people is because the conversations do tend to be very shallow, save for the contestant with the dramatic background that's played up during the season.

And the thing is I get why the producers go that route because my guess is they don't want to risk alienating any part of their audience/advertisers by airing issues that may be very controversial. But I do think it would give more weight to the idea of two people being ready to spend their life with each other if viewers got conversations a little deeper than, "I had fun today, did you have fun today, I see myself falling for you, I can imagine my life with you, etc."

Last edited by lleyki on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

lleyki

Back to top Go down

Bachelorette 13 - Rachel Lindsay - General Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers* - Page 78 Empty Re: Bachelorette 13 - Rachel Lindsay - General Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

Post by Guest Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:18 am

You will be surprised that things are still going on in 2017 like it was 1967, all you have to do is read some of the comments on the bachelorette Facebook page. I like the girl and wish she gets her HEA and honestly, I commend the show for taking this bold step despite some viewers disapproval. As much as this show is for entertainment, sometimes, shows like this can make people check their biases and realize they have them and need to widen their viewpoints a bit, jmo.

Back to top Go down

Post by BachIsMyGuiltyPleasure Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:30 am

I just hope for authenticity... if an issue arises then confront it, but honestly, I just don't want any contrived BS from TPTB... I do think IRL I can see a cultural shift between my parents generation (0 out of 6 mixed marriages) and yet in my generation my cousins and I have 4 interracial marriages out of 9... No matter what TPTB decide to do, I have high hopes for Rachel anyway...

BachIsMyGuiltyPleasure

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:46 am

To me this season is about a great woman dating some hot guys in great locations and doing things I could only dream of, as usual.  

I would like to think most viewers are at the point where people are people and interracial dating is just people dating.   The show can do a better service IMO by showing it's not really an obstacle in who you love vs making it THE issue that has to be dealt with over and over with every guy. I hope they don't force that on Rachel or us and let her handle any conversations re race she feels are needed naturally.  JMO.

I would like to see them produce tv that shows (and doesn't have to tell us every week) that it's normal and natural - that anyone can be attracted to, fall in love with and build a relationship with anyone.  JMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by sosleepy Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:32 am

With all due respect ... I will try to say this as diplomatically as possible. 

In some ways we've come a long way since the 1960s.  But it's not far enough. We have a long, looooooooong way to go as a society. If you think things are hunky dory now with racial disparity ... I think that's coming from a place of ignorance and perhaps white priviledge. Not singling anyone out here at all. But turn on the news. It's not a harmonious world - we have a ways to go. And yes, sadly I still think in 2017 we have A LOT of misunderstanding and prejudice and bias and interracial couples still get stigmatized.
sosleepy
sosleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:53 am

sosleepy wrote:With all due respect ... I will try to say this as diplomatically as possible. 

In some ways we've come a long way since the 1960s.  But it's not far enough. We have a long, looooooooong way to go as a society. If you think things are hunky dory now with racial disparity ... I think that's coming from a place of ignorance and perhaps white priviledge. Not singling anyone out here at all. But turn on the news. It's not a harmonious world - we have a ways to go. And yes, sadly I still think in 2017 we have A LOT of misunderstanding and prejudice and bias and interracial couples still get stigmatized.

I don't think anyone was saying that all is hunky dory. I think based on their own experiences some feel that things have changed considerably since that time. Not that things still don't need improvement.

Honestly, while I am aware of the challenges that Rachel will face...no matter what she does...this is also a silly show that I use as a break from everyday life. I do not want to be beaten over the head with racial politics while watching. Unfortunately, this show has never exactly been subtle about anything. Of course they need to discuss race and they should, I just hope it isn't brought up non stop. They should know that this is supposed to be my mindless fun place.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by sosleepy Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:00 pm

^^ Agree. I don't want it to become a lesson in race relations either. I just don't want the show to ignore it. Find something in the middle.

At the end of the day, while I'm sure and *hope* that Rachel and her frontrunner(s) explore this topic, it will still be a lot of "I could really see myself falling in love with you." "This has been the best date ever and I really need to open myself up." "I totally think I'm ready for marriage and that life" - surface level frilly stuff this show has produced season after season.
sosleepy
sosleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:06 pm

sosleepy wrote:^^ Agree. I don't want it to become a lesson in race relations either. I just don't want the show to ignore it. Find something in the middle.

At the end of the day, while I'm sure and *hope* that Rachel and her frontrunner(s) explore this topic, it will still be a lot of "I could really see myself falling in love with you." "This has been the best date ever and I really need to open myself up." "I totally think I'm ready for marriage and that life" - surface level frilly stuff this show has produced season after season.

:yes: That's what I want...a happy middle. Will I get that? I hope so, but I doubt it. They go for extremes, although because this is such a hot button topic, they may tone things down just a bit. Fingers crossed.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:26 pm

I think we are going to get what we get. This is TB and not Master Piece Theater. This is MF producing and not Will Smith, Steven Spielberg or Ben Affleck. Just saying.

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by sosleepy Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:30 pm

Kasha! laugh out loud laugh out loud laugh out loud
sosleepy
sosleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kashathediva Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Seriously! This is a man who had cast pee on mattresses. Crap on themselves. And we expect them to discuss racial issues intelligently? I don't think so. I shudder.

No good deed goes unpunished.  
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, bye Felicia! 
Kashathediva
Kashathediva

Female Posts : 33375

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug82 Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:40 pm

^^ And gets a thrill at playing barking dog sounds at his neighbors at all hours of the day and night.  He's more horror story than happily ever after love story like a Hallmark or Nicholas Sparks movie. JMO
Ladybug82
Ladybug82

Female Posts : 9471

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 78 of 80 Previous  1 ... 40 ... 77, 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Bachelorette 13 - Rachel Lindsay - General Discussion - *Sleuthing Spoilers*

+97
momoftrips
Incorrect_Justifications
ChazSA
cheetarah1980
moviechicka