SELECT CONTENT

Weather - Discussion

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weather - Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: Weather - Discussion

Post by GuardianAngel Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:41 pm

Thankful for the first responders, police, firemen, volunteer rescue groups and everyone else that puts their lives on the line.

I do not understand how people stay put after the numerous warnings to get out, then they have to be rescued putting other peoples lives in jeopardy.

Sadly 5 deaths. RIP to those who lost their lives. I hope everyone is safe and there aren't any more deaths reported.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

Posts without source will be deleted.  

NO SPOILERS in any threads other than those titled Spoilers.  

“Dogs leave pawprints on our hearts” – Author Unknown
GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 71428

https://www.bachandbachettefans.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:15 am

Sadly, people think needing rescued won't happen to them. Although the rescues I was seeing was for an area that is not actually on the coast but at the tip of 2 rivers a few miles inland and because of the wind direction from the east, water was being pushed up the river with no where to go. Once the wind shifted and the water could flow naturally out to sea, it wasn't quite as bad (still bad though).

I have been glued to the coverage as Dad used to live in NC with Martha before he died. She is still there. When the storm turned south, she was probably spared some although I did see she was in a tornado warning area this afternoon. She does live inland and her immediate area does not flood although there have been horrible floods in the surrounding area during hurricanes in the past. She has a whole house generator that was actually running when I talked to her the other night so she is good as far as electricity goes. She fulled expected to lose electricity. At this time it is raining and under a flash flood warning in her county.

I am curious as the future track of the storm. At this time it looks like there could be rain in my area on Monday or Tuesday from the remnants of this storm.

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:23 pm

I am watching as much as I can as well but real life is interrupting me. It's still raining hard. Does Martha have family with her or near her?

Did I hear that this could last for a few more days?

I hope there are no tornadoes!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:40 pm

GuardianAngel wrote:Thankful for the first responders, police, firemen, volunteer rescue groups and everyone else that puts their lives on the line.

I do not understand how people stay put after the numerous warnings to get out, then they have to be rescued putting other peoples lives in jeopardy. is

I think there is a myriad of reasons people hesitate to leave - #1 is money and poverty. If they leave, they might be delayed in returning to their jobs - days without pay are hard for those that live paycheck to paycheck. #2 are pets. If you have a household of pets, it makes it harder to go to a shelter. With a single dog or cat, it is more manageable. #3 - some people just think they are invincible. After living through the wildfires in wine country last October, I find myself less sympathetic to those in a hurricane than a wildfire. You have plenty of advance warning in a hurricane. And in many coastal areas, as we saw in Houston last September, development took precedence over prudence in certain areas prone to flooding. There has been lots of debate in Sonoma County, which lost 10k structures, on whether its best to build densely to meet the housing need or to be more prudent and consider density a burden when it comes to quick evacuation. We can't have everything on our wish list - should public safety for all trump individual want?

Edited: I reread this and it sounded heartless to me and I apologize if I offended anyone. I can say that my experience is that anyone who lives through a natural disaster will see their life change. Some will be directly affected due to loss of house and/or business. Cities and counties will have big deficits from all the overtime spent on responding, repairing roads and water lines, etc, etc. The school districts will lose hundreds of students due to displaced people leaving the area, with the result a budget crisis. (In California, the state reimburses the school districts on an average daily attendance metric.) There is a lot of stress and another storm or fire triggers the strong feelings of helplessness. But the response from your neighbors and other caring people will bring light to the darkness. Wishing all the Carolinas the best in dire circumstances.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5301

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:40 pm

@Norcalgal Good points. IDK I know I would do whatever it takes to get out.

Sadly the number of deaths has risen.

https://twitter.com/stormchaserQ

https://twitter.com/WeatherNation

Unbelievable. sad

https://twitter.com/StormchaserUKEU

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:10 pm

https://twitter.com/WeatherNation

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:08 pm

OMG @GuardianAngel...Those people on the balcony in Hong Kong. Instead of hiding in a spot with no windows, the person actually goes on the balcony to get a better shot as the tornado is getting closer and closer. People are seriously crazy no no

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:11 pm

@Sprite I know. I don't get it. Taking vids is more important than protecting your life.

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Norcalgal Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:42 pm

My oldest son goes to Hong Kong quarterly - he sent us a video of a typhoon hitting last year and the water surging through the neighboring hotel was scary. And that typhoon wasn't as big or fierce as this one.

I read that the number of homeowners insured for flooding in the Carolinas is down from what it was 20 years ago. Some estimates are that maybe a quarter of homes carry flood insurance. This is also a wake-up call for those of us who live in earthquake country. It will happen - earthquake insurance purchased through the state of California has limits on coverage and you must pay the first 15% of damages, I believe.

Been watching this crap show like forever
Norcalgal
Norcalgal

Female Posts : 5301

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:27 pm

GuardianAngel wrote:I am watching as much as I can as well but real life is interrupting me. It's still raining hard. Does Martha have family with her or near her?

Did I hear that this could last for a few more days?

I hope there are no tornadoes!

Martha only has a step-son and he is in Pennsylvania. He had already planned on coming down to see her the end of September.

She does have some very good friends in the area. One gal that would be more the age of her step-son, comes over to see her at least once a week. They play games. They also go out to eat at least once a week as well. She lives in a cul-de-sac and is very friendly with her neighbors. Her neighborhood was once a part of a gated community that has a lot of retirees. There is a community building that they all take advantage of and the managers of that keep tabs on all of them. That is how Martha and Dad met Karen, the young lady that visits her. She works part time at the desk in the community building.

This storm system is very slow moving and is pretty much sitting over western NC now. It will eventually break up and head north and east over the next couple of days. But, the coastal communities are not out of danger. With the rain falling in the mountains of western NC and flooding those rivers, the eastern part of the state will still have flooding. Those rivers have to go somewhere and most of them flow to the east towards the ocean. Towns like New Bern where all the rescues were taking place is not the place to be.

I saw a report on weather channel from Lumberton NC where it is now flooding. This flooding didn't start until early this morning. For those that don't know, Lumberton is located in the southern and eastern portion of NC about 1.5 hours from the coast. It has a lot small streams and creeks in the area that are flooding. The river in this area has not even reached its crest yet!

And, not 15 minutes ago they showed a road south of Charlotte that was flooded. This is being described as a historic flood event as this small area has never flooded. There are over 100 roads closed in the state including I-95 because of flooding.

This may have only been a category 1 storm when it reached land but because of it moving so slowly it is causing so much major damage. I honestly think it is worse than any of the forecasters even expected.

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardianAngel Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:19 pm

@havadrpepper I missed your post. Thanks for the info! I've been following the Hydro twitter account. They have been working so hard to restore power.

Here we go again. This is incredible for Ontario. I know we have members in this area, stay safe. We are getting a hard downpour right now, although I'm 3 hours or so East of this area.

https://twitter.com/JasonChurch

All Rules

GuardianAngel
GuardianAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:29 am

@GuardianAngel We are getting those warnings here in London. It has been pouring really hard and the lights have been flickering for a while. Some lightening and lots of winds. I hope it is not too bad. Earlier this summer we had a storm come through and half the roofs on my street had various degrees of damage. Many had to have their roofs redone after. We are on a hill so depending on which side the wind comes, it can cause quite a bit of havoc. I was lucky last time. Fingers crossed this time.

You could be the juiciest, most ripe peach, but there is still going to be someone who doesn't like peaches.
Sprite
Sprite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Weather - Discussion

+11
MiniDiva