SELECT CONTENT

College Football - All Teams - Discussion

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

College Football - All Teams - Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: College Football - All Teams - Discussion

Post by whit90 Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:15 pm

They are ranked by a computer that looks at the strength of the team. The wins/ loses of the teams and the schedule of teams they play. They say it is best to lose earlier in the season and drop down so that you can win the rest and move back up. Good luck to your Ducks !!

I was also shocked how far TCU moved up too
whit90
whit90

Back to top Go down

College Football - All Teams - Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: College Football - All Teams - Discussion

Post by stuckinsc Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:01 am

SLA44 wrote:Wow stuckinsc, my Ducks took the biggest tumble in the rankings of the teams that lost this last week.  They tumbled from #2 to 12.  They are missing 3 of their offensive linemen and one is out for the season, another one is out indefinitely and one may be able to return as soon as next game ~ I wonder if that had anything to do with their ranking, it sure did had something to do with their losing I'm sure.   Even Michigan State, whom Oregon beat this season is ranked above them at #8.  Here is the link to the AP rankings:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

I am shocked at how the rankings have settled. I do think Oregon is being over penalized for losing to an unranked Arizona team, but they are now ranked near the top ten. I also think that Stanford's loss to Notre Dame hurt Oregon, since it weakened the Pac12 North as a division. I think Oregon will bounce back up.

I did think that Ole Miss and Mississippi State were both under ranked before this week, so I am not surprised to see either move up, and in the case of Mississippi State they beat the living day lights out of A&M, the final score doesn't even reflect how very lopsided that game was. Oregon, Alabama and Oklahoma all lost very close games to very good teams. I think Oregon and Oklahoma both fell a little too far.

Michigan State is over ranked in my opinion for a one loss team, but I think that is the coaches and voters trying to prop up the Big10 in a down year.

Looking over everything, I am a little more impressed with my Longhorns. At this point, I just want them to win enough games to become bowl eligible and I will be happy. It is ridiculous how many starters have been released from the team and to have the QB retire from football after week one of the season. Rough year, I still support Charlie Strong and hate to say it, but I think Mack Brown had lost control of the program and his players. It shows in the fact that last year was the first time in over 60 years that no Longhorns were drafted as part of the NFL draft.

Give it a week or two and I have a feeling everything will settle down. Oregon does need to win out and beat UCLA or Arizona in the Pac12 championship game though to be able to be in the playoff.

I also think that Mississippi State may win out, but I am not sure if Ole Miss will. I have to say, I would love for the Egg Bowl to decide the SEC West, but I don't think that both Ole Miss and Mississippi State will beat Auburn, they look fierce.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Female Posts : 10802

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:04 am

whit90 wrote:They are ranked by a computer that looks at the strength of the team. The wins/ loses of the teams and the schedule of teams they play. They say it is best to lose earlier in the season and drop down so that you can win the rest and move back up. Good luck to your Ducks !!

I was also shocked how far TCU  moved up too

Actually the AP Poll is compiled by polling 65 sportswriters and broadcasters from across the nation. The USA today poll rankings are compiled by the USA Today Board of Coaches which is made up of 59 head coaches at Division I FBS institutions

The computers were part of the BCS formula which has gone away and maybe be used by the committee to help decide the four teams for the playoff, but as of right now the computers are not actually part of the polls it is all human opinion at this point.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Back to top Go down

Post by whit90 Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:20 pm

stuckinsc wrote:
whit90 wrote:They are ranked by a computer that looks at the strength of the team. The wins/ loses of the teams and the schedule of teams they play. They say it is best to lose earlier in the season and drop down so that you can win the rest and move back up. Good luck to your Ducks !!

Actually the AP Poll is compiled by polling 65 sportswriters and broadcasters from across the nation.  The USA today poll rankings are compiled by the USA Today Board of Coaches which is made up of 59 head coaches at Division I FBS institutions

The computers were part of the BCS formula which has gone away and maybe be used by the committee to help decide the four teams for the playoff, but as of right now the computers are not actually part of the polls it is all human opinion at this point.

Then I must of misunderstood when I googled it but I do know that is the things they take in consideration when ranking a team. I wonder since it is not done by a computer how they get the poll results out so quick .
Thanks for the info. Will see you soon......

whit90
whit90

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:23 pm

whit90 wrote:
stuckinsc wrote:

Actually the AP Poll is compiled by polling 65 sportswriters and broadcasters from across the nation.  The USA today poll rankings are compiled by the USA Today Board of Coaches which is made up of 59 head coaches at Division I FBS institutions

Then I must of misunderstood when I googled it but I do know that is the things they take in consideration when ranking a team. I wonder since it is not done by a computer how they get the poll results out so quick .
Thanks for the info.  Will see you soon......

Everything changed this season, the BCS was based largely on computers, not on people. The system was hated so this year is the first year of the four team playoff, in addition to bowls for everyone else. I think people are still going to complain, but honestly, that happens whatever the system is.

College basketball has 68 teams now and is talking about expanding to 128. At that point, why bother playing a regular season? And nope Texas doesn't always make the NCAA basketball tournament, so this isn't because my team is always there, in fact they are around 50% of the time.

To me the NBA is even out of control, when you have teams with losing records in the playoffs that is just lame.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Back to top Go down

Post by whit90 Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:52 pm

stuckinsc wrote:
whit90 wrote:
stuckinsc wrote:

Everything changed this season, the BCS was based largely on computers, not on people.  The system was hated so this year is the first year of the four team playoff, in addition to bowls for everyone else.  I think people are still going to complain, but honestly, that happens whatever the system is.  

College basketball has 68 teams now and is talking about expanding to 128.  At that point, why bother playing a regular season?  And nope Texas doesn't always make the NCAA basketball tournament, so this isn't because my team is always there, in fact they are around 50% of the time.

To me the NBA is even out of control, when you have teams with losing records in the playoffs that is just lame.

I am sorry but do not understand you bringing up the NBA or college basketball  ....just confused.
whit90
whit90

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:10 am

whit90 wrote:
stuckinsc wrote:
whit90 wrote:

Everything changed this season, the BCS was based largely on computers, not on people.  The system was hated so this year is the first year of the four team playoff, in addition to bowls for everyone else.  I think people are still going to complain, but honestly, that happens whatever the system is.  

College basketball has 68 teams now and is talking about expanding to 128.  At that point, why bother playing a regular season?  And nope Texas doesn't always make the NCAA basketball tournament, so this isn't because my team is always there, in fact they are around 50% of the time.

I am sorry but do not understand you bringing up the NBA or college basketball  ....just confused.

Sorry examples of even having a playoff, it doesn't always get it right. Back to college football, which after last week is confusing enough.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Back to top Go down

Post by albean99 Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:01 pm

I hated the BCS ranking system so am glad there's at least a small playoff this season.

"Love is the Only Reality" -Ed Lambton
albean99
albean99

Female Posts : 15411

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:44 am

Another wacky day in College Football, but your Ducks came back with a vengeance SLA! Most of the UCLA points were in junk time in the third quarter. Hopefully, they are back on track.

Auburn is stunned by Mississippi State, OMG, if the Egg Bowl determines the SEC West Champ the state of Alabama will go into mourning until the next college football season.

And my Texas Longhorns lose another close game. They are looking better each week, but they need to pull some of these out for Charlie Strong and stop making stupid mistakes.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Yes stunkinsc my Ducks came back in fine style yesterday. Believe me I was doing the happy dance and am so glad they figured out what to do about their offensive line. Marcus did not get sacked once and rushed for two TD's himself! It was a happy day for us Quacker Backers! Sorry about your Longhorns - their game was televised here and I watched it.

____________________________________________________________________________                       
Don't look down on anyone unless you are helping them up.
Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.  Proverbs 13:20
SLA44
SLA44

Female Posts : 2755

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:47 pm

SLA44 wrote:Yes stunkinsc my Ducks came back in fine style yesterday.  Believe me I was doing the happy dance and am so glad they figured out what to do about their offensive line.  Marcus did not get sacked once and rushed for two TD's himself!  It was a happy day for us Quacker Backers!  Sorry about your Longhorns - their game was televised here and I watched it.

I was working, but my husband had me watch the highlights. Not fun. I see potential there, and all our loses have come at the hands of ranked teams at the time, but I am not even sure if we will make a bowl this year. Four more wins seems like a lot.

USC beating Arizona did nothing to help the Pac12. I do find it interesting that all the teams seem to have struggles this season, it make who makes the playoffs this year a lot less obvious.
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Back to top Go down

Post by stuckinsc Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:20 am

Another football Saturday, here we go!
stuckinsc
stuckinsc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

College Football - All Teams - Discussion

+10
markat53
whit90
albean99
SLA44
FLChica