SELECT CONTENT

The Voice ~ Media ~ Gerneral Discussion

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Voice ~ Media ~ Gerneral Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Voice ~ Media ~ Gerneral Discussion

Post by Love_Me Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Love_Me
Love_Me

Female Posts : 32393

Back to top Go down

The Voice ~ Media ~ Gerneral Discussion  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Voice ~ Media ~ Gerneral Discussion

Post by Love_Me Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:58 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Love_Me
Love_Me

Back to top Go down

Post by Love_Me Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Love_Me
Love_Me

Back to top Go down

Post by Love_Me Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:31 am

Javier Colon’s Voice Not Heard on Billboard Charts

By Lyndsey Parker | Reality Rocks – 8 hours ago

Earlier this year, I assumed contestants on "The Voice" had a distinct sales advantage over the hopefuls on rival show "American Idol." I assumed that by counting iTunes downloads as actual votes--something "Idol" and similar shows do not do--"The Voice" would be better at predicting which contestants would fare well in the actual pop marketplace. What a fantastic business plan, I thought! So I assumed that Season 1 "Voice" winner Javier Colon, who landed several hits in the iTunes top five during his memorable run on the series, would be a surefire seller once his album came out.

I assumed wrong.

Javier Colon's post-"Voice" album, Come Through For You, certainly did not come through for him on the Billboard charts this week. The album, which dropped last Monday in time for the holiday shopping rush, debuted at a disappointing--or make that shocking--number 134 on the chart this week, with a little less than 10,000 copies sold.

To put this in perspective, please note that Landau Eugene Murphy Jr., the most recent "America's Got Talent" winner, debuted at number 34 (a full 100 rungs higher up the chart!) with his album That's Life, which came out the same day as Javier's release. But really, it's "Idol" that's still outperforming "The Voice" all over the album chart. This week, Daughtry debuted at number eight, James Durbin debuted at number 36, and Season 10 champ Scotty McCreery reentered the top 10, moving from number 13 to number nine and reaching gold status. Lauren Alaina is also at number 74 this week, and original Idol Kelly Clarkson is at number 25.

Obviously, there are reasons other than a lack of promotion for Javier's sluggish sales. (Landau's album received possibly even less promotion than Javier's, and still did respectably.) It must be taken into account that Javier's chosen musical style simply is not that hip or relevant, the sort of dated lite-radio fare that generates little buzz or radio play these days. But seriously--the guy really did get precious little promotion, and I suspect many diehard "Voice" fans weren't even aware that Come Through For You was out. Javier deserved better. Maybe the "Voice" powers-that-be should have spent more time promoting the show's contestants, not the judges.

And that brings me to a crucial difference between "Idol" and "The Voice": Despite all the hoopla and hype surrounding "Idol" panelists Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, the real stars of "Idol" this year were still the CONTESTANTS. This has actually always been true of "Idol," even when Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul dominated the proceedings. By mostly keeping the focus on the singers, "Idol" often created stars that America fell in love with for the long-term. This year on "The Voice," however, it was all about the superstar judges, who frequently performed with (read: upstaged) the contestants. This of course made for great television--and it seems pretty obvious now that "Voice" execs care more about TV ratings than record sales--but as a result, the only real Billboard hit that came out of the show was judge Christina Aguilera's collaboration with her "Voice" co-star Adam Levine, on Maroon 5's "Moves Like Jagger."

Javier Colon
While I understand NBC and Mark Burnett Productions' need to create good television (a goal probably sometimes at odds with Universal Republic's goal of selling records), a strategy like this can only backfire in the long run, as at the heart of all TV talent shows is the fairytale concept that these contests can make aspiring singers' dreams come true--that they can create pop stars. "Idol's" once-solid reputation for star-making would have taken a serious blow if Scotty McCreery's album had failed to sell (following previous winner Lee DeWyze's all-time-low sales), but thanks to Jimmy Iovine, "Idol" sales rebounded. Now it seems "The Voice" will face a similar challenge as it gears up for its second season, which kicks off in about two months. If "The Voice's" Season 2 winner also debuts as low as number 134, it will be a major problem.

(Note: We'll see how Season 1 runner-up Dia Frampton fares when her decidedly hipper album, Red--which features contributions from Kid Cudi and members of Foster The People and Florence + The Machine--comes out next week. But I am a little worried for her.)

The saddest part of this story, however, is not any credibility downgrade "The Voice" may have suffered this week. I just feel bad for Javier. "The Voice" was supposed to be this struggling veteran singer's much-deserved second chance, after a failed deal with Capitol Records--but considering that his 2003 Capitol album, Javier, sold 133,760 copies according to SoundScan, and his second Capitol release, Left Of Center, sold 27,913...well, it almost seems like Javier was better off without this show.
Love_Me
Love_Me

Back to top Go down

Post by Love_Me Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:21 am

Did anyone watch the show tonight? Maybe it is just me, but it wasn't that exciting. Maybe the next show will be better.
Love_Me
Love_Me

Back to top Go down

Post by deedreamer Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:28 am

I watched. I thought they had some great singers but I don't care for Xtina's comments. I like the banter between the coaches but Xtina goes over the top. She doesn't seem to understand the gentle art of playful zingers and gets too out of line and personal. I don't understand why either of the guys picked her as their coach...they would have been so much better off with either Celo or Adam. LOL I guess Ben is not the only one whose picker seems to be broken.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Be aware of half truths - you may have the wrong half
If you can't impress them with intelligence you can always baffle them with bullsh*t
Will Rogers said that he never met a man he didn't like...but then he never met Mike Fleiss
deedreamer
deedreamer

Female Posts : 939

http://thetoyboxgrannies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shoepie Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:33 am

deedreamer wrote:I watched. I thought they had some great singers but I don't care for Xtina's comments. I like the banter between the coaches but Xtina goes over the top. She doesn't seem to understand the gentle art of playful zingers and gets too out of line and personal. I don't understand why either of the guys picked her as their coach...they would have been so much better off with either Celo or Adam.

Totally agree. Xtina does not have a sophistocated nor dry wit; she just doesn't know how to banter. And I don't like her singing, image, hair, make up or anything much.

These blind autitions are my favorite part of this show so I loved last night.
shoepie
shoepie

Female Posts : 2306

Back to top Go down

Post by gurlbrit Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:17 pm

shoepie wrote:
deedreamer wrote:I watched. I thought they had some great singers but I don't care for Xtina's comments. I like the banter between the coaches but Xtina goes over the top. She doesn't seem to understand the gentle art of playful zingers and gets too out of line and personal. I don't understand why either of the guys picked her as their coach...they would have been so much better off with either Celo or Adam.

Totally agree. Xtina does not have a sophistocated nor dry wit; she just doesn't know how to banter. And I don't like her singing, image, hair, make up or anything much.

These blind autitions are my favorite part of this show so I loved last night.

I enjoyed the show last night. Prepped by watching Moves Like Jagger on You Tube. Christina has a lovely voice, but spoils it all with the way she looks and acts.

The blind auditions are the best part of the show.
gurlbrit
gurlbrit

Female Posts : 3837

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug82 Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:33 pm

I watched...Love the playful back and forth between the guy judges. I don't know if Xtina doesn't know when to stop or just has the be the diva with the last word or what, but she's definately not my favorite judge. Enjoyed listening to all 3 guys that were picked, not sure about the girls yet though. I agree Deedreamer and Shoepie not sure why they picked Xtina. Are yall watching tonight? or will you be watching the bach? I'll probably watch the voice.
Ladybug82
Ladybug82

Female Posts : 9471

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:15 pm

I'll be watching the Voice than Castle tonight. No more bachelor for me, and I was bored to tears anyway. One of the absolute worst seasons ever, imo, right up there with Blob Guiney, who I stopped watching after the 3rd episode. lol

I loved Blake's 'cough' of "bullcrap" when Christina said she'd work hard for them. He's hilarious. Adam Levine takes it so seriously and has to put up a jealous Christina (of him and his success, and his pick won The Voice last year).

Love CeeLo Green, he's so cool and calm and you know he has Adam's back when Christina starts her verbal attack. I wish she'd be replaced by someone else. She' so annoying and thinks she's 'all that' and she's not. I love the other 3 judges and cannot wait til Kelly Clarkston is a coach on Team Blake, when the auditions are over. I love this show!

Kelly sang the anthem so pefectly at the SB, she was truly amazing and looked classy and gorgeous (see, Christina, that's how you do it).

Back to top Go down

Post by deedreamer Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Ladybug82 wrote:I watched...Love the playful back and forth between the guy judges. I don't know if Xtina doesn't know when to stop or just has the be the diva with the last word or what, but she's definately not my favorite judge. Enjoyed listening to all 3 guys that were picked, not sure about the girls yet though. I agree Deedreamer and Shoepie not sure why they picked Xtina. Are yall watching tonight? or will you be watching the bach? I'll probably watch the voice.

As much as I enjoy the Voice I am such a Bach addict that I have to watch it. I don't know what it is like to be a crack addict but this one has to be almost as bad LOL. It can't be doing anything good for my mind but call me hooked.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Be aware of half truths - you may have the wrong half
If you can't impress them with intelligence you can always baffle them with bullsh*t
Will Rogers said that he never met a man he didn't like...but then he never met Mike Fleiss
deedreamer
deedreamer

Female Posts : 939

http://thetoyboxgrannies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug82 Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:04 pm

giggling Well the last 2 seasons I managed to overcame my need/addiction to watch the show and just read on here. I did go back after Jash's season and watch all their dates to understand and feel the cupcake love! But I may be sucked back in for Emily's season because of the hot guys and fashion! So I'm sticking with the voice! Will read all the snarky bach posts after the show...I think that's as much or more fun than actually watching the show!
Ladybug82
Ladybug82

Female Posts : 9471

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

The Voice ~ Media ~ Gerneral Discussion

+17
Beeleever
MissLittle
atem
Ladybug82
gurlbrit